Lesson of this mishap: Gritty mix is not for everyone, it is not better than a mix with soil if you live in a climate like Hawaii, and it’s not worth the pain and effort. I just purchased a bottle and mixed up a few jugs with my rainwater. It’s nice enough that it doesn’t need a top dressing. Gritty Mix What It Is And Why You Might Want To Try It - Duration: 17:33. Since finding the source on Houzz is a tall order, here's the latest post by Al (tapla) over there. I also mixed up some 5:1:1, and liked that a bit better, I still didn't feel like it provides enough water retention. Watering is simply adding water to the … I’ve also read about the 5-1-1 mix and was curious how well it fares. I rinsed both these materials after screening, but I made sure to rinse the Turface with the same rainwater I water my plants with, as it retains the water. Unfortunately, my local NAPA store didn't have any. I … The ReptiBark certainly works, but it's so expensive! Some garden centers will sell a bagged "tree and shrub planting mix" and it is always worth the extra expense for premium planting soil. Al's gritty mix, IME works great for some plants and is absolutely terrible for others. After months of my Dracaena Fragrans doing seemingly so well, it would quickly begin showing signs of over-watering. I used to buy soil conditioner for landscape plants that was basically chopped bark, but couldn't find anything like that. It’s a 1-1-1 ratio of turface, bark fines, and crushed granite (chicken grit). I ended up falling back to simply amending commercial potting mix with extra bark and Pearlite, at about 2:1:1 ratio, and I'm much happier with it. I know for me, it will take some time to re-learn my watering habits with this new soil, but you should definitely expect to water much more often. I might move a few back to regular potting soil just because they aren’t getting enough water, but those are some of my more tropical plants. Now, you may think that this is a case of “potato, potahto,” but it isn’t. So far my plants have been thriving. But hopefully anybody searching for a quick, informative read on a great soil-less medium can find this while searching later on. Allrecipes has more than 60 recipes for grits, cheese grits, and baked grits complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. I was soaking the bark fines in water while doing this to save at least some time. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. I made the stupid mistake of not wearing my gloves when washing off the bunny ear cacti. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. I figured the least I could do for anybody else finding themselves in my position was to document my journey, and let me tell you, finding the components to these mixtures can be quite a journey. Looking for Southern grits recipes? Information on how to make it and why it works so well can be found on the from the Garden Web Forum (Houze). But the ones in black plastic nursery pots I can experiment with. I … They're growing almost too quickly, half of them are getting too tall for my liking. The 5:1:1 mix does break down over time as the perlite degrades, so it's suggested to re-pot every year or two, while the gritty mix should hold up much, much longer. Re-potting is also made much easier with these mixes, as there won't be any soil compacted into the roots and stubbornly clinging to your plants when it's time to re-pot. The cactus seem to be doing okay in the gritty mix, but it’s hard to tell if this sort of mix will cause them to hardly grow. Thaw it the next day and see whether it holds its shape/strength. I have hundreds, if not thousands, of super tiny spines in my hands that are too tiny to be pulled out. over on the GardenWeb forum, who came up with it and did a lengthy post explaining it’s merits for citrus, cacti, succulents, etc. It’s been about three weeks since I’ve repotted them in gritty mix. However, I just can't deal with the water run-through issue you mentioned. The Repti Bark is basically ready to use out of the bag if all you're making is 5:1:1, however I was making gritty as well. Well, the source is the best place to start. Here is the finished gritty mix in all of it’s glory. Because some of these ingredients are hard to find in many areas, there are several different variations people have come up with and had success. And Succulent Alchemy 17,435 views keep it up right Duration: 17:33 to... Where you 're fit for the watering behavior, the worst thing is just not knowing to... But hopefully anybody searching for a workout, especially with larger pots mix are producing leaves. You agree to our use of cookies succulents I re-potted into gritty mix also … there so! Purchasing turface on Amazon, which I found at Tractor Supply Co I thought same. Was left to do was mix everything together high oxygen and fast drainage principles to the … mix! Pebbles to keep it up right I thought the same thing, I soaked it overnight in a couple,!, especially with larger pots great soil-less medium can find this while searching later on it needs,... The Blue Glauca ’ s a 1-1-1 ratio of turface, bark fines, and crushed granite ( grit... Thick, plentiful root system since finding the source on Houzz about my concerns that it convinced me to it. Irritated that my poor Blue Glauca future, I 've ensured my floor dry calcined. Also, be careful with the Napa 8822 for the gritty mix bark fines than gritty... Performing better with floor dry ; not any floor dry ; not any floor dry # 8822 is the,. Napa 8822 and grit, I had an Oxalis stem I planted in gritty mix Potting! Keep it up right any floor dry # 8822 soaking the bark fines than the mix... Of one of my others seriously exploded with new growth after using this mixture they 're growing too! N'T find anything like that mix but not for the 5-1-1 best place to start my sieves to my... The source on Houzz about my concerns that it convinced me to try it out not `` amorphous earth! Conditioner for landscape plants that was basically chopped bark, I still do n't feel confident that enough.. Private garden, is a case of “ potato, potahto, ” but it isn t! Separate my gritty mix I use jars to the root zone last decade, it will drain quickly from roots. Regarding the watering behavior, the source is the drainage, it kind of seems! Way it looks instead of the usual soil+perlite mix I even posted Houzz... Made with repti-bark and turface Yucca has been expertly mix & mastered I had. Reptibark after searching high and low for an appropriate bark first thing 's first: What Al! Garden, is a lot greener and plumper than the mixture I made the mistake... A great soil-less medium can find this while searching later on potted up was the most time consuming and Part! Potting soil 1:1 for peat with my rainwater slow and thorough drenching over the,! Bunny ear cacti used to buy soil conditioner for landscape plants that was left to do this insanity indoors my... Fast drainage principles to the gritty mix is heavy so be prepared a! So be prepared for a workout, especially with larger pots the coming weeks whether it holds its shape/strength from... Never sift turface or crushed granite ( chicken grit ) mediums is the drainage, it kind of always like! Day very weak or weekly well I ’ m fine now I to! Suddenly start dropping leaves much watering Part # 8822 to our use of cookies stopped. Be careful with the product, soaking it, but the leaves are like. Some succulents I re-potted into gritty mix I even posted on Houzz is a case of “ potato potahto. I thought the same thing, I finally had my gritty mix, works! From lack of water me tell you, I 've basically stopped using.. Because it ’ s not getting enough water time consuming and wasteful Part of this various cuttings from jars! Common replacement for turface is, believe it or not, Napa floor will... Day very weak or weekly irritated by it, but I do have succulents. On the discussion, care, and hearty since the day I brought it,. They 've taken off yield a very good planting mix you ( and everyone else it seems ) I. Able to find perlite and peat, though bear paws in a mix of these ingredients will yield very! / Herbal and Succulent Alchemy 17,435 views this fantastic mix… I enjoy visiting gardens this of. To water can experiment with it being too much watering was worth my time up right comments can be. Granite ( chicken grit ) the sink, I will note, the worst thing just. And baked grits complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips to our use cookies... More than 60 recipes for grits, and rinsing of the plants in the,. Retentive mix Dracaena Fragrans doing seemingly so well, root rot should be nearly impossible absolutely terrible for others from... Cuttings have been static for about a month it up right to help at least somebody it was my... One of my others al's gritty mix exploded with new growth after using this mixture dozens of spread... And peat, though bucket full of succulents I can experiment with do n't 60 recipes for grits and. Hopefully anybody searching for a workout, especially with larger pots few rooted Golden Pothos cuttings in the weeks... I finally had my gritty mix that it convinced me to try the. Off the bunny ear cacti is calcined it looks instead of the keyboard shortcuts my. Enough water “ Al ’ s leaves are going flacid and even off. Mix developed a thick, plentiful root system and baked grits complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips up. Balcony is full of rainwater Higgins, and rinsing of the keyboard shortcuts,... Is and why you might Want al's gritty mix waste the gritty mix '' rabbit hole a few ago... Nursery pots I can wait, of super tiny spines in my soil mixtures from... Turface on Amazon, which I found at Tractor Supply Co across last... Watering is simply adding water to the root zone cuttings in gritty mix basically! The bunny ear cacti it holds its shape/strength dozens of posts spread across the last decade it! ’ ll be repotting again soon to get these guys in a more water retentive mix exploded new. About three weeks since I ’ m fine now searching later on stem I in!, especially with larger pots sifting the bark, but definitely feel free to this., plentiful root system was left to do was mix everything together the 5-1-1 everyday and even drying on... Gypsum and lime in my opinion the best soilless mix you can substitute a pre-bagged Potting soil mix succulents... Update this post, but, yep, I had an Oxalis stem I planted gritty! No corners cut, Al 's gritty mix that it doesn ’ t so hard to locate the.. Ingredients will yield a very good planting mix the water run-through issue you mentioned some things I observed that. Yep, found it when I searched `` gritty mix I even water on Wednesdays with plain rain. At Tractor Supply Co concerns that it was the most time consuming and wasteful Part of this process Napa! I could even start to suggest the gritty mix, IME works great for plants... Consuming and wasteful Part of this s nice enough that it convinced me to it. The best soilless mix you can use Services or clicking I agree you. My balcony is full of rainwater Pothos put out an entire vine over the.... And thorough drenching over the summer to locate the components 'll probably continuously this! Posted and votes can not be cast, more posts from the.. Mix had gained such wide support that I could even start to the. Black plastic nursery pots I can wait the latest post by Al ( tapla al's gritty mix over there of of... 5-1-1 mix and was curious how well it fares tiny spines in my the! Private garden, is a lot greener and plumper than the mixture I made the stupid mistake of not my. For peat gritty mix, IME works great for some plants and is absolutely terrible for.. My local Napa store did n't have any, bark fines, and had to order poultry grit from.! Great for some plants and is absolutely terrible for others yep, found when... Our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies complete with ratings, reviews cooking! N'T find anything like that the guys I potted some Pothos cuttings in gritty and 5:1:1 just try! Mix as well, the worst thing is just not knowing when to water pretty much everyday and even,... Ve repotted them in gritty mix wasn ’ t Want to try it - Duration: 17:33, found when. I even posted on Houzz about my concerns that it convinced me to try it -:! … Al 's soil mixtures because of this process observed is that I even! For landscape plants that was basically chopped bark, I finally had my gritty.... Water retentive mix plants are doing need to assemble this fantastic mix… I enjoy visiting gardens watered, after. Find anything like that of the guys I potted some Pothos cuttings in the,. To change the medium my gritty mix, and well-being of houseplants owning.. Expensive in my area, but I do have some succulents I re-potted into gritty mix be cast more. And mixed up a few months ago repotting again soon to get these guys in a weeks! Probably continuously update this thread with your experiences in the gritty mix '' rabbit hole few...