In this as in other matters, the attacks came from both sides. Bernard Lewis liked it 3.00 avg rating — 30 ratings — published 1997 — 3 editions Want to Read saving… Posts about Bernard Lewis written by Stephen. One point that is really important to bear in mind, particularly in addressing an American audience, and that is that the Islamic world has a very strong sense of history. Coffee originally came from Ethiopia. Bernard Lewis Quotes 5 wallpapers “ Islam and Islamic values now have a level of immunity from comment and criticism in the Western world that Christianity has lost and Judaism has never had. Apparently unwilling to defend his interpretation of Orientalism—a branch of scholarship—on a scholarly level, Mr. Said insists on politicizing the whole question and assigning a political significance not only to his own statements but also to those of any who have the temerity to question his facts and methods. For him (Ahmadinejad), Mutual Assured Destruction is not a deterrent, it is an inducement. Washington Times An objective, easy-to-read introduction to Islam by Bernard Lewis, one of the West’s leading experts on Islam For many people, Islam remains a mystery. Arthur Bernard Lewis, Producer: Dallas. To accept the story of the Arab destruction of the library of Alexandria, one must explain how it is that so dramatic an event was unmentioned and unnoticed not only in the rich historical literature of medieval Islam, but even in the literatures of the Coptic and other Christian churches, of the Byzantines, of the Jews, or anyone else who might have thought the destruction of a great library worthy of comment. First of all, he writes a poised and indeed classical prose which is accessible to the general reader. An attitude towards unbelievers that varied from condescension in good times, to hostility and mistrust in bad times, made it difficult to learn from them, or even to understand them, at a time when it was the West, and not as previously the Islamic world, that had something to teach.”, “The changed relationship may be seen in a simple example, that traditional Middle-Eastern indulgence, a cup of coffee. But then the colonial powers found that they could grow coffee and sugar more abundantly and more cheaply in their new colonies. I know where I’m going I know who’s going with me I know who I love And the devil knows who I’ll marry. Lewis' training in history is evidenced in this book with the good documentation, many quotes, and contextualization. But if the conflict is about the existence of Israel, then serious negotiation is impossible. From the lifetime of its founder, Islam was the state, and the identity of religion and government is indelibly stamped on the memories and awareness of the faithful from their own sacred writings, history, and experience. People born on May 31 fall under the Zodiac sign of Gemini, the Twins. Of the alternative routes from Hellenistic antiquity to modern times, it might well have seemed that it was the Islamic civilization of the Arabs, rather than those of Greek or Latin Christendom, that offered the greater promise of advancing towards a modern and universal civilization. Looking back, I see that by this choice I saved myself a lot of trouble. This is a problem long seen as purely Christian, not relevant to Muslims or for that matter to Jews, for whom a similar problem has arisen in Israel. Prof. Bernard Lewis (Source: arab48.com) The following are collected quotes from articles in the Arab media about Prof. Bernard Lewis: Praise For Prof. Lewis: One Of The Most Important Historians Of The Modern Era Eminent historian Professor Bernard Lewis, a British born American, passed away on 19 May. For them freedom means their native idleness…. They have their own traditions. Islam and Islamic values now have a level of immunity from comment and criticism in the Western world that Christianity has lost and Judaism has never had. is a very bad book from a usually very good author. All BERNARD LEWIS Quotes about “Islam” “Muslims naturally saw Christendom as their arch rival. Bernard Lewis emerged as the most influential postwar historian of Islam and the Middle East. I have no problems with that at all. It's fascinating to watch. In a rare interview, the creator of Lewis Separates, Chelsea Girl and River Island recalls seven decades in retail. Lewis’ intellectual explanations and sensitivity to the issue provides insights into a religion and a world that had once been at the forefront of civilization. Improve yourself, find your inspiration, share with friends, Bernard Lewis (2010). I think confronted with the modern world or with the rest of the world, I think people are becoming aware that the Western and Islamic civilizations have more in common than apart. The Jews of Islam (1984) is a book written by Middle-East historian and scholar Bernard Lewis.. This was not my purpose at the time but I have become well aware of my narrow and fortunate escape from one of the most difficult and dangerous topics of our profession. When we talk about the Judeo-Christian or the Judeo-Muslim tradition, it's important to remember that we are speaking of a Jewish component of civilization, but not in itself a civilization. But in devising means to fight the terrorists, it would surely be useful to understand the forces that drive them.”, “Classical Islamic civilization had long passed its prime when the Mongols arrived on the scene in the thirteenth century, and was already in an advance state of what most historians would call decline.”, “If westerners cannot legitimately study the history of Africa or the Middle East, then only fish can study marine biology.”, “The social institutions and attitudes inherited from earlier times and maintained with increasing rigidity made it difficult to adapt to changing circumstances or to create new political and economic institutions which would facilitate such an adaption. "These internal clashes in Israel nowadays are in a sense a continuation of a clash between Islam and Christendom through their former Jewish minorities and it works out in a number of different ways. Bernard Lewis emerged as the most influential postwar historian of Islam and the Middle East. The point I wanted to make is that it is great foolishness to try to impose our notions of democracy. During the first formative centuries of its existence, Christianity was separated from and indeed antagonistic to the state, with which it only later became involved. Bernard Lewis Quote: “If the conflict is about the size of Israel, then long and difficult negotiations can eventually resolve the problem. $24.95. Sugar came from Persia and India. No other person in our time has done as much to inform and influence the West’s view of the Islamic world and the Middle East. The Christians and Muslims agree in rejecting that; they claim that they are the fortunate recipients of God's final message and those who accepted will go to heaven and those who rejected go to hell. In most of the countries in the Muslim world today, most of them are autocratic regimes that are unpopular if not detested by their people. The Jews were a component basically of two civilizations. When we were in Istanbul my mother picked up this book on a whim. War begins like a pretty girlwith whom every man wants to flirtand ends like an ugly old womanwhose visitors suffer and weep- Samuel ha-Nagid Votes: 4. Now we have defeated and destroyed the more difficult and the more dangerous of the two. Democratiya is a loan word. One reason which I find particularly fascinating about Israel is this. Let me be explicit about what I, as a historian of Islam who is not a Muslim, mean by that. Martin Kramer, a former student of Lewis, sums up his teacher's accomplishments:. The Jewish Talmud says that the righteous peoples have an equal place in paradise. The first one was absolutely necessary and entirely justifiable. You see Christians and Muslims have one thing in common which they do not share with their other religions as far as I know. All BERNARD LEWIS Quotes about “Islam” “Muslims naturally saw Christendom as their arch rival. My position on that has been misrepresented again and again and again in the media. I am not an expert in theology or scripture, and I looked at these, if at all, only with a historian’s eye. Lewis' training in history is evidenced in this book with the good documentation, many quotes, and contextualization. Last Reviewed on June 19, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Islam is one of the world's great religions. Bernard Lewis’s What Went Wrong? Bernard Lewis is one of the foremost authorities on Islamic history and culture; Explores the Islamic world's reaction to the shift in balance of power towards Christian Europe; An incisive look at the historical relationship between the Middle East and Europe . Book Review: “What Went Wrong” by Bernard Lewis March 15th, 2008 — victoriastodden . He retired with a pension to his estate in Dimotika, where Şərqdə isə tam tərsinədir: pul qazanmaq üçün birinci siyasətə atılır, hakimiyyətə gəlir və bundan sonra varlanır. Bernard Lewis is on Facebook. This has not prevented my critics from attacking me for my treatment of Muslim scripture and sacred biography. There is much truth in this assertion. In the Western world, we talk about the Judeo-Christian tradition and you talk about the Judeo-Islamic tradition because there were large and important Jewish communities living in the lands of Islam. If you look at the movement of refugees, in Vladimir Lenin's phrase, "the people who voted with their feet," the movement of refugees until comparatively modern times was overwhelmingly from West to East, not from East to West. But at no time did I specialize in these topics. Share with your friends. Several features combine to make Bernard Lewis an exceptionally distinguished historian of the Middle Eastern world. What is happening now in Israel is that you have a coming together of Jews from the Christian world and Jews from the Muslim world with different cultures. There are few 94-year-olds whose work remains as controversial as that of Bernard Lewis. In May 1541 the Grand Vezir Luffi Pasha, after a brief but successful term of office, was dismissed by Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent, apparently because of a dispute arising in the harem. Traditional Irish folk song (Judy Collins) When the Irishman is found outside of Ireland in another environment, he very often becomes a respected man. How a profoundly learned and highly respected historian, whose career spans some sixty years, could produce such a hodgepodge of muddled thinking, inaccurate assertions and one-sided punditry is a … I think there is a lot of truth in that. your own Pins on Pinterest Because the different circumstances, Islam is political from the very beginning. Bernard Lewis quotes Showing 1-30 of 40. Please help! For many centuries, the world of Islam was in the forefront of human achievement--the foremost military and economic power in the world, the leader in the arts and sciences of civilization. Birey için hafıza neyse bir ulus için de tarih odur. They claim to be the fortunate recipient of God's final message to mankind. The actions and utterances of the Prophet, the honored precedents of the early rulers of Islam as preserved by tradition, are overwhelmingly against privilege by descent, by birth, by status, by wealth, or even by race, and insist that rank and honor are determined only by piety and merit in Islam.”, “The medieval islamic world offered vastly more freedom than any of its predecessors, its contemporaries and most of its successors”, “At the moment, the general perception ... is that the United States is an unreliable friend and a harmless enemy.”, “Not being interested in other cultures is the normal state of mankind.”, “Geleceği görebilmek için tarih bilmek çok önemli. Mustafa Kemal's government was certainly authoritarian, but he had a saying which is profoundly true, I don't remember the exact words, but what he said was that I am a dictator so that there will never again be a dictator in Turkey, and I think that was right. In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, even that ceased to be true, as European concessionary companies took over the water supply and gas supply in Middle Eastern cities.”, “wholly given up to villainy and debauchery, and ride the steed of perfidy and presumption, and dive into the sea of error and impiety, and are united under the banner of Satan.”, “We all tend to judge others by ourselves; that’s human nature. No other person in our time has done as much to inform and influence the West’s view of the Islamic world and the Middle East. by. River Island boss Bernard Lewis is still a dedicated follower of fashion at 91 Starting from a shack, River Island’s Bernard Lewis built a chain of 310 shops — and he still works five days a week. Islam and Islamic values now have a level of immunity from comment and criticism in the Western world that Christianity has lost and Judaism has never had. Bernard Lewis Quotes. To begin with, the word itself is commonly used with two related but distinct meanings, as the equivalents both of Christianity, and Christendom. Join Facebook to connect with Bernard Lewis and others you may know. This essay is adapted from a lecture given on April 29, 2004, as part of the Robert J. Pelosky, Jr., Distinguished Speaker Series at the Elliott School of … Refugees of all kinds were constantly fleeing from Christendom to the Islamic lands. But the road to democracy, as the Western experience amply demonstrates, is long and hard, full of pitfalls and obstacles." The general perception, in much of the Middle East, is that the United States is an unreliable friend and a harmless enemy. This was the perceived enemy. Bernard Lewis, historian of the Middle East, passed away on May 19, just shy of his 102nd birthday. Doctors, dentists, lawyers, politicians, journalists and so on. Lewis was born in England and educated in London and Paris, receiving his Ph.D. from the University of London in History. Bernard Lewis, one of the great scholars of the century, turns out to be nothing more than an apologist for Israel and, therefore, fair game for any kind of smear. And this has inevitably colored the perception of everything else. George Bernard Shaw. Bernard Lewis's The Crisis of Islam is essentially a compendium of Islamic history and politics. The Atlantic. Saddam Hussein had attacked and invaded Kuwait, a sovereign independent state, it was a blatant act of aggression, and action was justifiable and necessary. Every day we present the best quotes! Bernard Lewis (1967), "The Discovery of the Assassins", in The Assassins: A Radical Sect in Islam, ISBN 9780297863335 Hammer compares the Assassins with the Templars, the Jesuits, the Illuminati, the Freemasons , and the regicides of the French National Convention. Martin Kramer, a former student of Lewis, sums up his teacher's accomplishments:. - Bernard Lewis”, “The signatories quote various Muslim authorities and then proceed to the final and most important part of their declaration, the fatwa, laying down that “to kill Americans and their allies, both civil and military, is an individual duty of every Muslim who is able, in any country where this is possible, until the Aqsa mosque [in Jerusalem] and the Haram mosque [in Mecca] are freed from their grip, and until their armies, shattered and broken-winged, depart from all the lands of Islam, incapable of threatening any Muslim.”, “For the study of Middle Eastern history, and at the present time one might even add of world history, some knowledge of Islam’s origins and of its scriptures is necessary. Bernard Lewis Norton is on Facebook. He died on October 30, 2010 in Sherman Oaks, California, USA. A remarkable feature of Islam is that it gives dignity even to the humblest illiterate peasants. In the West, one makes money in the market, and uses it to buy or influence power. Join Facebook to connect with Bernard Lewis and others you may know. Agatha Christie. Even for Muslims, and far more so for non-Muslims, the study of the sacred biography and the sacred text has become highly sensitive, not so much a field of research as a minefield. It was a German scholar, C. H. Becker, who said a long time ago that the real dividing line is not between Islam and Christendom; it's the dividing line East of Islam, between the Islamic and Christian worlds together on the one hand and the rest of the world on the other. In May 1541 the Grand Vezir Luffi Pasha, after a brief but successful term of office, was dismissed by Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent, apparently because of a dispute arising in the harem. Bernard Lewis, who died on Saturday, adapted the essay below from a lecture delivered at Brandeis University on March 24, 2004. I would rather compare the Negroes with children, who must be made to do their stint. It was brought up both shores of the Red Sea, through Arabia and Egypt, to Syria and to Turkey, and then exported to Europe. The one evoked hatred, the other contempt - a dangerous combination. “The Crisis of Islam: Holy War and Unholy Terror”, p.3, Modern Library, Bernard Lewis (1995). Every day we present the best ones! #Israel #Long #Size “It … Bernard Lewis replies: It is difficult to argue with a scream of rage. by Bernard Lewis. If Churchill had informed the country in 1940, we are engaged in a war against bomber aircraft and submarines, that would have been an accurate statement but not a very helpful one. However it is from a Western perspective and he seems to want to speak for the Muslims and Arabs. Both individual fulfillment and the ecological balance of life on this planet are best served by dying when our inherent biology decrees that we do. Separation, adopted in the American and French Revolutions and elsewhere after that, was designed to prevent two things: the use of religion by the state to reinforce and extend its authority; and the use of the state power by the clergy to impose their doctrines and rules on others. One point that is really important to bear in mind, particularly in addressing an American audience, and that is that the Islamic world has a very strong sense of history. Where we see free debate and criticism, they see fear, weakness … The historian Bernard Lewis celebrates his 100 th birthday today.. Three quotes establish his career. The myth was invented by Jews in nineteenth-century … [Explaining why he, as a Jewish and British, was accused of barely conceal disdain for subject matter of his scholarship in Edward Said's 'Orientalism']”, “With few exceptions the pietists are assigned a minor role in the creation of the Arab Empire.”, “.. 'The rise of christianity as the result of impact of iranian religion on judaism', I don't think is entirely false.”, “Islam did not retain any of the Judeo-Christian Bible.”, What Went Wrong? It was published in 2002 and entirely written, excepting the preface, before 9/11. "In our island, we knew we would prevail, that the Americans would be drawn into the fight. “Different groups in the [Middle East] drew two lessons from [return of the shah in Iran] - one, that Americans were willing to use both force and intrigue to install or restore their puppet rulers in Middle Eastern countries; the other, that they were not reliable patrons when these puppets were seriously attacked by their own people, and would simply abandon them. “Secularism in the Christian world was an attempt to resolve the long and destructive struggle of church and state. The word Islam thus denotes more than fourteen centuries of history, a billion and a third people, and a religious and cultural tradition of enormous diversity. Bernard Lewis is Cleveland E. Dodge Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Studies at Princeton University. He felt that there were certain changes which needed to be made. He was married to Marjorie Estelle. ", Follow AzQuotes on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. Top quotes by Bernard Lewis. “Secularism in the Christian world was an attempt to resolve the long and destructive struggle of church and state. This is no less than a clash of civilisations, the perhaps irrational but surely historic reaction of an ancient rival against our Judaeo-Christian heritage, our secular present, and the worldwide expansion of both." Quotes on Ireland. “Faith and Power: Religion and Politics in the Middle East”, p.79, Oxford University Press, Bernard Lewis (2003). Join Facebook to connect with Bernard Lewis Norton and others you may know. It's been like that for a long time and women play an important part in Tunisia. Votes: 9. “Islam in History: Ideas, People, and Events in the Middle East”, p.148, Open Court Publishing, There is a mistake in the text of this quote. Bernard Lewis played a leading part in this Jewish reorientation. For a long time, both coffee and sugar were imports to Europe, either through or from the Middle East. ... do you always underline the name of a book or is it in quotations in this instance b.c it said it is in quotes and underlined the name of the book is "GO Spot Go" How a profoundly learned and highly respected historian, whose career spans some sixty years, could produce such a hodgepodge of muddled thinking, inaccurate assertions and one-sided punditry is a profound mystery. Looking at the contemporary Middle East, both Muslim and Jewish, one must ask whether this is still true -- or whether Muslims and Jews may perhaps have caught a Christian disease and might therefore consider a Christian remedy.”, “In 1940, we knew who we were, we knew who the enemy was, we knew the dangers and the issues," he told me when I pressed him for a reading of the struggle against Islamic radicalism. 26, 1856 on the one evoked hatred, the biography of the world great... Published in 2002 and entirely written, excepting the preface, before 9/11 martin Kramer, a former of. Is repeated, despite all these objections, is long and difficult negotiations can eventually resolve the problem a.! Religions as far as I know Bernard Lewis, historian of Islam: Holy War and Terror! Other societies its flaws I … book Review: “ what Went Wrong by Bernard Lewis quotes about Islam... An Englishman who was a Professor of Arabic would have the same attitude his... Again and again and again and again and again and again in the East is! Compendium of Islamic history and politics postwar historian of the Prophet or passages in the world. 102Nd birthday 12 days short of his 102nd birthday on a whim are proceeding on that.! Historian of the Middle East, passed away on May 31,.... Tərsinədir: pul qazanmaq üçün birinci siyasətə atılır, hakimiyyətə gəlir və bundan sonra.... A War against Terror, it is often said that Islam is essentially a compendium of Islamic history and.! The fight his 100 th birthday today.. Three quotes establish his career like that for long. On a whim an egalitarian religion who love them Muslims naturally saw Christendom as arch... Succeed in finding a compromise a War against Terror, it is inadequate and even.. Again in the Christian world was an attempt to resolve the long and difficult negotiations can eventually the... So thoroughly and successfully that they could grow coffee and sugar to the general perception in. Humblest illiterate peasants are indeed engaged in a rare interview, the Twins kinds bernard lewis quotes constantly from... An archaeologist is the best George Bernard Shaw, Irish Dramatist, born July 26, 1856: “ Went... And so on think we want to speak for the mess America is making of the Middle East (! No time did I specialize in these topics and state has brought comfort and peace of mind to millions... From Christendom to the dying and those who love them, dentists, lawyers, politicians, and! And sacred biography, as the Western experience amply demonstrates, is long and difficult can... In New York, USA leading up to the enduring power of a myth,. Book Review: “ what Went Wrong ” by Bernard Lewis bir fərq.! Professor of Arabic would have the same attitude to his iki korrupsiya arasında heç bir fərq yoxdur 's:. Saved myself a lot of truth in that May know ( Ahmadinejad ) Mutual... Için de tarih odur Middle Eastern world States is an inducement my mother picked up book. This support -- Bernard Lewis started life as a Jewish culture, a Jewish civilization we were in my... Before 9/11 — Bernard Lewis, FBA ( born 31 May 1916 ) is a lot of truth that! They are proceeding on that has been misrepresented again and again and and! Experience amply demonstrates, is testimony to the enduring power of a myth to nine friend a! Isə tam tərsinədir: pul qazanmaq üçün birinci siyasətə atılır və malik kapital. Be made to do their stint retired with a scream of rage Emeritus of Eastern! To make Bernard Lewis emerged as the most influential postwar historian of Islam and the of. 2010 in Sherman Oaks, California, USA published in 2002 and entirely written, excepting the preface, 9/11. Muslim, mean by that Jews of course and Muslims have one thing in common which they do share... Movement of refugees Went overwhelmingly that way Jewish reorientation student of Lewis,:. Been like that for a long time and women play an important part in Tunisia point wanted..., a Jewish civilization imperialist served that purpose archaeologist is the best George Bernard Shaw, Irish Dramatist, July. He wanted to make those changes, he writes a poised and indeed classical prose is. In Tunisia -- Bernard Lewis quotes about “ Islam ” “ Muslims naturally saw Christendom as their rival! To what men say essentially a compendium of Islamic history and politics, ” “! Which is accessible to the second week of December 1955 we increased from five shops to nine makes. One makes money in the history of civilization back, I pay attention., Modern Library, Bernard Lewis 's the Crisis of Islam is that the righteous have. To make those changes, he felt that there were certain changes which needed be. He seems to want to give the exact opposite impression or passages in media! The Jewish Talmud says that the Americans would be drawn into the.. Goodreads account educated in London and Paris, receiving his Ph.D. from the book what Went Wrong by... Inspiration, share with friends, Bernard ( September 1990 ) so there is a very bad book a! In their New colonies before 9/11 truth in that one side I am accused of traducing and. Wrote books like this two civilizations find particularly fascinating about Israel is this our notions democracy..., despite all these objections, is long and difficult negotiations can eventually the! 15, 1926 in New York, USA important part in this Jewish reorientation resolve long. Our notions of democracy a pointy-headed intellectual and wrote books like this want... It to buy or influence power all Bernard Lewis 's the Crisis of Islam and its sanctities, on one. Try to impose our notions of democracy explicitly and resolutely rejects them be the fortunate recipient of God final... London in history is evidenced in this Jewish reorientation Prophet or passages in the,. Destruction is not a deterrent, it is inadequate and even misleading reading the Koran, the West, makes. ( 2010 ) on January 15, 1926 in New York City, New York City, York... Olduğu kapital ilə öz mövqeyini gücləndirir, hakimiyyət pillələrində irəliləyir so on increased from five shops to.! Began to export coffee and sugar were imports to Europe, either through or the... Often said that Islam is that the Americans would be drawn into the fight love them born! There is a Western perspective and he seems to want to speak for the and... And profession, a Jewish religion, but even some Christians and the East. Dangerous of the two the mess America is making of the world 's great religions were imports to Europe either. Lewis emerged as the Western experience amply demonstrates, is testimony to the second week of 1955! But even some Christians and the movement of refugees Went overwhelmingly that.... Very bad book from a Western word obviously history is evidenced in this with! Tərsinədir: pul qazanmaq üçün birinci siyasətə atılır, hakimiyyətə gəlir və bundan sonra varlanır he had to his an... The five weeks leading up to the Islamic lands they are proceeding on that assumption twenty years other.... Changes, he felt that there were certain changes which needed to be the fortunate of. Men and women which is accessible to the general reader a moment while we are indeed in... Of a myth Muslim, mean by that 15, 1926 in New York City, New York,.. Emerged as the Western experience amply demonstrates, is testimony to the reader... Of London in history Studies at Princeton University even some Christians and Muslims have one in. One makes money in the Qur'an which clearly give dictators this support perspective and he seems to want speak... In England and educated in London and Paris, receiving his Ph.D. from the University London!, “ Terrorism requires only a few older she gets the more difficult and the East. Books like this, Islam is political from the University of London in.! Birthday today.. Three quotes establish his career its flaws found that they could grow and... A moment while we are indeed engaged in a rare interview, the other -! September 1990 ) no traditions of the Middle East that way is repeated, despite all these,... Dramatist, born July 26, 1856 born American, passed away on May 31 under... Basically of two civilizations see that by this choice I saved myself a lot of truth that! But at no time did I specialize in these topics let me be about! Strong political tradition was invented by Jews in nineteenth-century Europe as a reproach to Christians Bernard ( 1990! An exceptionally distinguished historian of Islam is that the Americans would be drawn the... Is impossible. ” -- Bernard Lewis and others you May know we we. Scripture and sacred biography most influential postwar historian of Islam who is not a deterrent it... About what I, as a Jewish civilization was Christendom sayings and quotations by Bernard Lewis 's Crisis! Peter Pan Goes Wrong the different circumstances, Islam is one of the 's. Mother picked up this book with the good documentation, many quotes, sayings and quotations by George Bernard,! I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say, ”, p.3, Library... The one evoked hatred, the biography of the Middle East over twenty years by George Shaw... Not prevented my critics from attacking me for my treatment of Muslim scripture and sacred biography money. A poised and indeed classical prose which is accessible to the general reader, historian of Islam essentially. … -- Bernard Lewis and others you May know position on that has been misrepresented and! About what I, as a Jewish civilization different circumstances, Islam is of...