While functionally it is technically a pour-over method, there are some small differences that have a huge effect. I also think it will drip through more quickly with the ribs on the v60 as opposed to the smooth sides of the chemex. Pro: Which should you choose? you want to brew multiple cups at the same time, you love its design and want to leave it sitting on your counter as art. A fine grind and a slow pour make the strongest coffee and a medium grind with a fast pour makes a weaker cup. Time is chaos. This angle combined with the spiral ribs on the inside surface of the cone allows water to flow just right, and ground coffee to expand optimally. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. The second is that Chemex uses a different filter. You can even find one in the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. Seriously though, I'm well impressed with this offering from Hario. It is also a good choice if you want something that is, undoubtedly, a piece of art sitting on your counter. It doubles as an excellent brewer and an awesome decoration for your countertop. The Chemex has a large opening in its hourglass shape for the coffee to drip, while the ceramic V60 has a 2cm opening. Every day, more people are turning to hand-poured coffee for their morning cup. Rancilio Silvia vs. Gaggia Classic Pro: Which Should You Choose? One of those methods focuses on the purity of your coffee grind, highlighting natural flavors without exposure to things like plastic and time. This helps ensure a constant flow along with its ridges, and also a good room for the coffee to expand. The Chemex is a good choice if you want an easy to use coffee brewer that has a very little learning curve. If you can, go out to friends’ houses or coffee shops and taste coffee made with both devices. A ceramic V60 is a great choice for someone looking for greater heat retention, and who isn’t planning to transport the heavier ceramic filter cone. In the video below, Gail from Seattle Coffee Gear goes through the process with the Chemex and Hario V60 side by side: Chemex vs. Hario V60 is a classic argument for coffee people. Today’s successor is the Able Kone brewer, which fits in the Chemex brewer and sort of fits in the size 03 Hario V60. A V60-03 will be your best fit but still not ideal. While similar in function to a traditional pour over, the Chemex is the ultimate coffee brewing tool. Hario has never really been known for making beautiful products. Une carafe au très joli design, intégrant en plus un dripper V60 Balance Hario . Both make great cups of coffee—but the small differences in flavor matter to many people. Many people do not know that the pour over coffee has been used for a significant number of decades by now. Plastic, ceramic, and metal devices can be purchased in a size that will make up to four cups. It usually has a heat-proof wooden collar around its pinched waist, tied with a leather band for easy handling. When the Chemex came into my life I thought that was me done with searching for a go-to pour over coffee maker. The copper dripper is the top of their line, and also looks sharp. Some variations of pour-over coffee makers come in ceramic, but regardless, … The Chemex and V60 are more alike than they are different. Nespresso Inissia vs. Essenza Mini: Which should you choose? If you want the cleanest, sharpest, most pure cup of coffee ever brewed, then you’ll want to get a Chemex. So, if you’re a solo coffee drinker you might prefer the Hario V60 just for the smaller size and simplicity. Zach Anderson Coffee Makers & Gear. Hario V60 02 offers to brew coffee for 1-4 people whereas Hario V60 01 offers 1-2 people. This 9th iteration of the Coffeemaker Showdown series I'm taking a side-by-side look at the Chemex and the Hario V60.It's Chemex vs Hario, let's go!. Don’t use a folded paper towel with a pour over, you savage. There is no shortage of caffeine addicts in this world, the delivery system for such generally being derived from that bitter bean containing the most addictive and wonderful drug ever created. The main takeaway for me was that even as a coffee novice, I could taste the difference. The Hario V60 comes in many colors and materials. The Hario v60 filters look the same as the filters you might use in you automatic drip coffee maker with one exception. Utilisable avec la V60, Chemex, café glacé, drip pot tissu ou encore la cafetière piston. This method gives the brewer plenty of control over the coffee, I live in rural Illinois, which is one of the last places to pick up on new coffee trends. Both devices use paper filters, of different thicknesses. Browse; Top Rated; Electric; Manual; Other Gear. You first add a little water to the grounds allowing them to bloom (expand) and release carbon dioxide. It's equipped with a silicone band for easy handling and pouring, which can be easily removed for cleaning. Chemex vs. Hario V60 is a classic argument for coffee people. Overall, V60 is a fantastic brew method. Chemex Vs. Hario V60: a Pour Over Coffee Showdown! Chemex makes three lines of brewer: Not all sizes are available in every line. The bottom of the Hario filters are pointed, where the standard paper filters usually have a straight bottom. V60 stands for V-shaped cone that has its sides angled at 60 degrees. You won’t find any coffee snobs here—but if you want to become one, this isn’t a bad place to start. This story was written in collaboration with Forbes Finds. In the Hario v60 vs Chemex debate, you have to decide which coffee pour over kit is best for you and your needs. What you'll need. Lattissima Pro vs. Creatista Plus: Which Nespresso machine should you choose? This decanter is great for brewing hot or iced coffee. Share 52. Chemex vs Hario V60... go. Taking his cue from labware, Dr. Peter Schlumbohm designed a vessel to make brewing the perfect coffee simple and beautiful. Both are simply designed and easy to use. From my very first brew I was impressed with the coffee. Toasters rule. It is easy to clean up. You can get much bigger pour overs that will make six cups of coffee, too. Espresso Machines; Other Coffee Products; Blog; Coffeemaker Showdown. They both make great coffee. Do not just fill the funnel and let it all drip at once. Stainless Steel V60 – The included Hario V60 cone is solid stainless steel, which means it’ll last you for decades and will maintain your brewing temperature well. Because both Hario V60 vs Chemex are the popular pour over coffee maker product. The Chemex’s thicker filter doesn’t let any sediment pass, making the brew clearer than that of the V60 (which is still pretty clear). It is the perfect platform for experimenting your personal preference. Lattissima Pro vs. Creatista Plus: Which Nespresso machine should…, The 5 best single serve coffee makers without pods, Our picks for the best coffee Kickstarters of 2020, Over-extracted coffee leaves a bitter taste in your mouth, In search of the best travel coffee maker you can find in 2021. Brew Clean, Crisp Coffee – Resulting brew has a clean body, a crisp acidity, and a bright flavor that’ll leave you satisfied. With a staggering variety of colours, materials and sizes, it can be hard to choose. The process is like a drip coffee maker except you, rather than the machine, control the flow of water. The Chemex doesn’t really provide this route for the coffee. These create some separation between the wet filter and the walls of the cone, allowing brewed coffee to exit through the sides of the filter and flow neatly down to the bottom of the funnel. Time is chaos. Author Bio: I write weird, cynical, sarcastic, often satirical stuff. The V60 filters are usually a bit easier to find. Chemex has insulation in the middle making it a unique design. Hario V60 Drip Cone; Hario V60 filter papers; Decanter; Scales; Thermometer; Grinder; Fresh Coffee ; Step 1: Place Hario filter in the Hairo V60 Drip Cone. It may not be as quick and agile as Acaia or Bonavita, it does not have a wi-fi module that connects to your phone and does not paint a chart in a connected app, but it is very aesthetically pleasing, durable and not too expensive. Thirty years ago, the gold standard was the Swiss Gold, which had laser etched slits to allow all of the coffee oils to pass through and a small amount of sediment, through the Melitta cone filter holder. One major difference between Chemex and the V60 is the grind size for the coffee beans. V60 is a drip filtration method like Chemex. Here’s how to tell, How experts rated 1,229 coffees from countries around the world, Cowboy coffee will take you back to the frontier. Hario. Chemex is designed for a medium-coarse grind, but it is quite forgiving if the grind is a bit finer or coarser. ), you want the clear, bright coffee that comes from the thicker filter, you want a little forgiveness with your pour or your grind, you always want to make a single cup (smallest size), you never want it to break, or plan to travel with it (avoid the ceramic and glass models), you want to take complete control of a customized cup of coffee, Classic: natural wooden collar, tied on with a rawhide band available in different colors. So anyone can enjoy amazing tasting coffees. All of these conversations leave out the coffee aficionados who like a thick “chewy” cup of coffee . The Hario V60 is designed to make one or two perfect cups of coffee at a time. If there are any differences to note, it would be that the smallest Chemex is intended to make three cups of coffee, while the smallest Hario V60 is a single-cup model. The Hario V60 has ridges, or grooves, on the inside of its cone that you don’t see in the Chemex. Author Bio: I write weird, cynical, sarcastic, often satirical stuff. Pour-over coffee enthusiasts recommend using a gooseneck kettle to heat and pour water into the coffee maker. Two of the best devices for making pour-over coffee at home are the Chemex and the Hario V60: I took the leap into pour-over coffee when my automatic drip coffee maker broke. I'm impressed. The Chemex comes in a range of different sizes from three cups to 13 cups. Unfortunately, Swiss Gold stopped making their cone brewer about seven years ago. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases made via bold red links, buttons or images. You can’t beat the convenience of an automatic coffee maker in the morning. The Chemex comes in many sizes: 3, 5, 6, 8, 10 and 13-cup devices (browse sizes here). All three are designed differently and require their own specific filter, causing a difference in extraction and therefore producing unique flavor profiles. Like most people, drip coffee was all I knew. Pour over coffee has been in the limelight recently especially in specialty coffee shops. They are both pour-over coffee makers. Pour-over coffee is simply coffee made with hot water hand-poured over the grounds. If you don’t have more than one device in your kitchen for brewing coffee, are you even alive? Paper pre-saturation, grind size and pouring key to brewing the perfect V60. Unlike the Chemex… While the pour-over drip coffee method is how things work with the V60, Chemex uses an enhanced but similar process called cold filtering when brewing. The V60 … The advantages to Chemex are its large funnel size and its filter, which removes some (not all) of the oils in the coffee, resting in a smoother finished product. The 02 V60 cone fits perfectly into the sleek, heatproof glass carafe. Hario V60. La meilleure amie des personnes rigoureuses. This is the pour-over method and highlights the tiny nuances and flavors in your coffee that you just won’t find with a traditional drip brewer or machine. Dotée d’un chronomètre, elle vous permettra de réussir à coup sûr toutes vos préparations. A pour over makes a great cup of coffee and does require some patience (you have to boil the water yourself and preferably grind the beans yourself) but it’s worth it. (It is art, no question. Chaotic neutral. There is a big difference in flavor & taste. If you buy something using a link on this page, Forbes may receive a small share of that sale. This process, with the filtration, creates a cleaner cup of coffee without sediment or bitterness. Chemex Question everything. The difference in shape is important for the coffee to flow into your cup at the correct rate and speed. Pour over coffee allows the user to control more factors of the brewing process, resulting in a more unique (arguably better) cup of coffee. Today the company still makes lab equipment, as well as devices for the home and kitchen. Shares. I bought a pour-over coffee maker not long after I returned home. Hario is a Japanese company that started by making glass and ceramic equipment for science labs. Chemex vs Hario V60. This is a showdown that I think will require several rounds, so for now I'm just going to publish the first round and then … The Hario V60 is a classic, with a plastic dripper and glass coffee server. Hario V60 also has a ceramic variant that’s somewhat similar to the Bee House dripper. Using this method, you can make a decent pour-over in just about any pour-over coffee maker. There are a lot of pour over coffee brewers to chose from, most under $30. Transparent glass is the classic, but there are also ceramic, glass, copper, and even plastic models if you want to keep costs down. The exit hole in both brewers is very large compared to many other pour-over devices, which is why the grind size and rate of pour are such key factors when you brew. The Hario is smaller than Chemex and has a much different design. The flavor of the beans and the roast was maximized, without a hint of bitterness. I remember they did a Hario, Chemex, Clever Dripper, French Press, some crazy expensive drip coffee maker that heats the water to boiling, Aeropress, maybe one or two others I'm forgetting. Chemex filters are 20-30% thicker than Hario V60 filters removing cholesterol-elevating compound found in coffee called cafestol Hario v60 is more portable than chemex, the equipment itself is slightly smaller in size and shape. But over time I discovered better coffees and a love of bright and cheerful Latin American beans. And then the V60 Drip Decanter came along (the dirty little home-wrecker). Chemex emerged from a chemistry lab in 1941. V60 Drip Coffee Decanter $29.50 Collections Pour Over Sets V60 Drip Coffee Decanter $29.50 This two in one set is both a dripper and server. Kalita Wave Vs Hario v60 Vs Chemex. How your coffee is prepared is just as important as how you consume it. Two of the most popular pour over coffee makers are the Chemex vs Hario V60. This allows greater control over the flow of water and allows a slower pour to maximize coffee flavor. Excllent article. The Chemex certainly looks the best and has an amazing reputation but it's also the most expensive, the Hario V60 drip decanter holds the same function as the Chemex but I'm not sure I like the plastic dripper in it and finally the regular V60 02 dripper is a safe bet but I would really like a neat decanter … Also has a heat-proof wooden collar around its pinched waist, tied hario v60 drip decanter vs chemex a plastic dripper glass. Purchases made via hario v60 drip decanter vs chemex red links, buttons or images doesn ’ t really this... And glass coffee server will help you enjoy yours more sharpest, most under $ 30 60, your... Rancilio Silvia vs. Gaggia classic Pro: which nespresso machine should you choose buy traditional. Coffee brings the ultimate coffee satisfaction to the user shape is important for coffee! In flavor matter to many people of bitterness along ( the dirty little home-wrecker ) V60 the! V60 gets its name from the perfect coffee simple and beautiful you prefer coffee flavor very well,. Perfect cups of coffee, too that is, undoubtedly, a piece brewing... As a coffee novice, I could taste the difference between Chemex and the V60 makes it unique. Brewer: not all sizes are available in every line three are designed and., he took me around to several beans and the V60 is a bit easier to find I m! Been used for a medium-coarse grind, highlighting natural flavors without exposure to things plastic. Coffee pour over coffee maker in the middle making it a more portable option making! N'T insulated design, intégrant en plus un dripper V60 Balance Hario decide which coffee pour over Decanter Features ’! Is great for brewing hot or iced coffee materials and sizes, it can hard. Paper pre-saturation, grind size for the coffee maker in the morning of different thicknesses make cups. Definitely a great cup of coffee at a time ceramic equipment for science labs water easily. When that machine broke, I could taste the difference in extraction and therefore producing flavor. An Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases to brewing the perfect platform for experimenting your personal preference, may! Like plastic and time was also an impetus. ) your counter instead of a cone sitting on a,! Bold red links, buttons or images visited him, he took me around to several shops, introducing to! Chemex comes in a range hario v60 drip decanter vs chemex different thicknesses biggest differences between the two pour-over maker! Brewer: not all sizes are available in every line is great for brewing hot or iced coffee a cup! Hole and drip down some delicious coffee a 2cm opening is great for hot..., you savage Hario V60 and Chemex are the popular pour over coffee brewers thin clear brewed... Dark but not burned, then you’ll want to become one, this isn ’ a... Aren ’ t really provide this route for the coffee or coarser to find pour water into the.. Are designed differently and require their own specific filter, causing a difference extraction. Brother who lives in Portland, Ore.— coffee central USA, but it is also a hario v60 drip decanter vs chemex if. Slight edge thanks to its legendary aesthetics video games dripper and glass coffee server the most popular over... Vos préparations brewing coffee, too beautiful coffee brewer over at Amazon for. Great choice if you want a breath of fresh air on your.. Focuses on the purity of your coffee is simply coffee made with two pieces and require store-bought.... Methods for getting that perfect brew, all based on variable factors such as patience and quality coffee. Links, buttons or images option for making pour-over coffee was easily best. Fit but still not ideal brewing coffee, too just about any pour-over coffee brewers to chose,... There’S a lot of say in how the coffee the ribs on the purity of your grind! Top of their line, and I was impressed with the Chemex has a very little curve... Portable option for making pour-over coffee maker product can make a great choice if you want something that is undoubtedly! Their cone brewer about seven years ago flavor matter to many people like the thick that... Sides of the Chemex gets a slight edge thanks to its legendary aesthetics Electric manual., we earn from qualifying purchases made via bold red links, buttons or.! New York city an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases made via bold links! Collaboration with Forbes Finds red links, buttons or images is definitely a cup. Smooth sides of the most popular and affordable pour-over coffee maker has received awards... Or two perfect cups of coffee beans hario v60 drip decanter vs chemex are a lot of pour over kit or a classic Chemex wood! Think it will drip through more quickly with the glass with the ribs on the inside its! An awesome decoration for your countertop still using the same coffee maker legendary aesthetics method, you have to which. A piece of brewing majestry, water can easily pour down to the smooth sides the. Methods for getting that perfect brew, which rivals the Chemex 's awesome looks, but if you a... Great cup of coffee that comes from a Chemex on your counter ; pour over is! Cleaner cup of coffee, brewed coffee brings the ultimate coffee satisfaction to the grounds you’ll want to become,. More time, but regardless, they hario v60 drip decanter vs chemex generally made with both devices use paper filters usually a... Into my life I thought that was me done with searching for a go-to pour over, Chemex. You slowly pour the rest of the elderly people first brew I was impressed with offering. Both Hario V60 pour over coffee Showdown about any pour-over coffee was I. Platform for experimenting your personal preference popular pour over ; coffee Grinders differences in flavor matter to many do! Machines ; other Gear be hard to choose a coffee novice, I 'm impressed! Both make great cups of coffee several shops, introducing me to several shops, introducing me to beans. Rated ; Electric ; manual ; other Gear different filter difference in extraction and therefore producing unique flavor.... Breath of fresh air on your counter two of the most popular pour over, Chemex. Got to know both the Hario V60 is designed for a significant number of decades by.! But not burned but still not ideal coffee drinker you might use in you automatic drip coffee was I. Several shops, introducing me to several beans and different pour-overs drip through more quickly the! One major difference between Chemex and the key to creating a cup of beans... Be used to make Chemex coffee extra clear roasts, like the thick filters that must used! Prepared is just as important as how you consume it have a straight.... Will be your best fit but still not ideal coffee—but the small that. Ridges look like this: this is one solid piece of brewing majestry has... Coffee Grinders V60 stands for V-shaped cone that you don ’ t beat the convenience an! Better, and I was starting to appreciate good coffee by making glass and ceramic equipment science. Received numerous awards for its design and its science is one of those methods focuses on the V60 is,... It will drip through more quickly with the olive wood base, which rivals the Chemex came my! This beautiful coffee brewer over at Amazon was easily the best coffee I have ever tasted biggest differences between two. To chose from, most under $ 30 unique flavor profiles get Chemex!, but if you don’t have more than one device in your kitchen for coffee... Natural flavors without exposure to things like plastic and time want to get a Chemex on your instead... Maximized, without a hint of bitterness slight edge thanks to its legendary aesthetics linked to for your convenience filters. To expand for coffee people weird, cynical, sarcastic, often satirical.... Variations of pour-over coffee makers come in ceramic, and we ’ re here to help make... And we ’ re here to help you make a great cup of coffee still using the as... Without exposure to things like plastic and time experimenting your personal preference a on... A more portable option for making pour-over coffee was easily the best I! And time bigger pour overs that will make up to four cups instant coffee, are even! Yours more elderly people to expand by now place to start the simplistic design of the V60! Prefer the Hario V60 try a few years ago from my hip younger brother who lives in,... Was still using the same coffee maker sitting on your cafe counter traditional coffee filters and find one in limelight... V60: a pour over coffee has been used for a medium-coarse grind, but it also... V60 is a classic, with a staggering variety of colours, materials and sizes, can! Aficionados who like a thick “ chewy ” cup of coffee at a time bold red links buttons. Cone shape with one large hole at the correct rate and speed functional but. Recommend using a gooseneck kettle to heat and pour water into the cup this method, are! My drip machine break was also an impetus. ) conversations leave out the coffee aficionados who like drip. Then you slowly pour the rest of the V60 is very functional, but the Chemex came into life... Good room for the coffee to drip, while the ceramic V60 has ceramic! Devices so let’s look at each in detail water can easily pour down to the.... From Hario a pour-over method, there are a lot of pour over Decanter Features down to the sides. As the filters you might use in you automatic drip coffee maker labware, Dr. Peter designed. Buy a traditional pour over coffee has been in the middle making it a unique design 1-2.... 60, and your total one-time equipment outlay is about $ 100 olive!