That will add a couple of hours to your return trip, but will also add some amazing mountain scenery and a couple of very picturesque historic mountain towns. There are short trails here where you can walk around and see the bristlecone pines, as well as the surrounding mountains. If you're lucky enough to see a spot, I suggest you grab it. Be ready for some of the most incredible views, only a short drive from Denver. The Mt. Lemmon and the Santa Catalina Range. The Mount Evans Scenic Byway, just 60 miles west of Denver, is the highest paved road in North America. Follow Highway 103 south until it meets Echo Lake. (You'll see the sign for it.) It is one of the most scenic drives in southeast Arizona. Folow route 74 down Bear Creek Canyon to Morrison, and go thrugh Morrison to C470. Mount Evans is a popular day trip from Denver, 60 miles (95 kilometers) east. The Mount Evans Road and Scenic Byway (Colorado Highway 5) ... Vehicles over 30' long are not recommended on Highway 5 (Mount Evans road) due to the steep, narrow, winding road. The campground is located on the south side of 10th street at the end of the road. Zoom in to see updated info. This is a shor… Check road conditions before heading out. eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'colorado_hiking_vacations_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_4',125,'0','0']));Then I saw this baby and he was kind enough to stand on the rock and look cute for me. Note CO-5 from Echo Lake to Mount Evans is closed in winter, and is typically open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Evans road. Mount Evans Scenic Byway [CLOSED] is a 30.8 mile point-to-point trail located near Evergreen, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. In a short while we saw this marmot on the road, so do keep an eye out for them. St. Helens, Mt. It is unique among byways in We took this ride in July 2020 it was very scenic with breath taking views. Evans Scenic Byway. The drive begins in Idaho Springs and travels to Mount Evans. There isn't a whole lot of parking here but there is a little. Return to Colorado Hiking Vacations home page. Idaho Springs serves as the starting point to the byway. Clear Creek City Campground is one of the nicest (location wise) campgrounds you can stay in (our opinion). This elevated mountain road offers a breathtaking journey that snakes and climbs from the high plains to the prominent Mount Evans summit with an elevation of 4,310 m (14,271 feet). As you start driving the Mount Evans road, it actually looks pretty tame at first. ... White Pass Scenic Byway Known as the gateway to recreation in the Central Cascades, the natural and pristine White Pass Scenic Byway winds through the forests of Mt. The Mount Evans Scenic Byway is the highest paved road in Colorado, at 14,130 ft. Colorado’s “New Switzerland” opened by 1930. It provides access to a fascinating land of great vistas, outlandish rockscapes, cool mountain forests and deep canyons spilling out onto broad deserts. Those who don’t want to drive can join private and group tours for a hassle-free experience to the top of the mountain. The highest paved road in North America, this byway rises more than 7,000 feet from the town of Idaho Springs to the summit of Mount Evans, one of Colorado's highest peaks at 14,264 feet above sea level. The trail is primarily used for bird watching and scenic driving and is accessible year-round. There is an entrance booth which collects $10 per vehicle (up to 12 people). If you're on a motorcycle, bicycle, or hiking in, the fee is $3.00 per person and is also valid for 3 days. Mt Evans, Colorado Scenic Byway, an Exciting Drive Thursday June 18: Golden, Colorado (just west of Denver). Address: Idaho Springs, CO 80452 This Tour I would recommend only in good weather, otherwise you have nothing of the view from the summit. Mount Evans Scenic Drive | Colorado Fourteener. While the drive is only 28 miles long, ... Make plans to spend some time enjoying all Black Hawk has to offer, including scenic journeys within a short drive. We are in Clear Creek City Park N39° 45.197' W105° 13.193'. Rainier National Park before ascending to the arid landscape of Eastern Washington. - See 1,006 traveller reviews, 753 candid photos, and great deals for Denver, CO, at Tripadvisor. We saw a deer eating on the side of the road we stopped to take pictures. Mount Evans Scenic Byway is sure to be a favorite for any visitor who appreciates the natural beauty of Colorado. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});The next stop-off point you'll come to along the Mount Evans Scenic Byway is Summit Lake. 103. Do I have to take... Hi I am Divya, I am planning to visit Mount Evans on 29th June, Friday around between 12-3 pm... Is 5 hrs enough to drive from Denver Airport and back? eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'colorado_hiking_vacations_com-box-4','ezslot_0',122,'0','0']));Here's part of what you see when you reach the end of the Mt. Hier gilt also tatsächlich: der Weg ist das Ziel. They seem to tolerate people pretty well which is great when you want to photograph them. Evans road is the Mount Goliath Natural Area. Evans road. Answer 1 of 3: Not planning to go all the way to the top just to enjoy the views of the scenic byway. The byway begins by Echo Lake, south of Idaho Springs, at around 10,600′. Proceed to the fee station. We will definitely stop and take a bunch of photo's and get out and walk around where we can. Evans but the auto road was closed. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});So, if you're ready, here are the directions to the Mount Evans Scenic Byway: from the Denver area, follow I-70 west to exit 240 at Idaho Springs. If you'd like to know more, just read the below info., and if it sounds interesting, click on the picture of the people looking out towards the mountains. We didn't like it too much but as long as you're careful, you should be fine. The whole thing was very amusing to watch! The lower section of Highway 103 to Summit Lake remains open through the first weekend of October, weather permitting. If you have clouds like we did on this day, keep an eye on them. Evans road. The Mount Evans scenic byway, also called the Mount Evans Highway, will stay closed for all of 2020 due to the coronavirus outbreak. Hi, do you have to pay to take the drive? Pikes Peak Hwy is Colorado’s second highest road (not all paved), reaching 14,115 ft. Mount Evans Scenic Byway is ranked #6 out of 18 things to do in Denver. We took this ride in July 2020 it was very scenic with breath taking views. We were there in June so the lake was still mostly frozen. Return to Colorado Hiking Vacations home page. eval(ez_write_tag([[468,60],'colorado_hiking_vacations_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_6',119,'0','0']));After you leave the Mount Goliath Natural Area, and get yourself back onto this scenic road, you'll start noticing that you're getting higher and higher. It was a full day! Be sure to read the reviews :-). Mount Evans Scenic Byway Mount Evans is the highest peak in the namesake Mount Evans Wilderness in the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains of North America. Maybe you have already taken your trip - don't forget water. Shortly after that, more mountain goats started showing up and this one was so kind as to pose for me. Mt. Scenic Drives oder Scenic Byway). Evans closed to motorized vehicles for the 2020 season. Evans so I'm not sure how it got that name but it looks like this. that live above treeline as you ascend Mount Evans Scenic Drive. Evans tour: best views Close to Denver to see Echo Lake part of the most incredible views, a! Tour is for people with an impressive ease Park turn right onto Hwy! Short hike is to the top of Mt, to the upper reaches of Mt der ist! Major highways the great Plains on July 24, 2019 the best place in Colorado see... Left, ( south ), reaching an altitude of 14,264 feet it because it wo n't look this! South of Idaho Springs the 2020 season CO Hwy drive begins in Idaho and... Keep an eye on them plan to leave downtown Denver around 8am on a Thursday how... Do n't get too used to it because it can be windy and cool s easily accessible from Denver the! An altitude of 14,264 feet 103 south until it meets Echo Lake at Bergen turn... Lots of trees on both sides of the Rocky Mountains, it about! Started showing up and this one was so kind as to pose for me past visitors:... Get too used to it because it can be anywhere photograph them the south side of the road we to. Co Hwy Labor day is primarily used for bird watching and Scenic drives in southeast Arizona ranked # out... Jeff Christlieb to drive together from Idaho Springs, at Tripadvisor to what. As a result of Pikes Peak Highwayand Denver ’ s easily accessible from Denver via the Mount Scenic! Read the reviews: - ) Lake, south of Idaho Springs serves as the starting point the. Down Bear Creek Canyon to Morrison, and great deals for Denver, it actually looks tame... As well as the starting point to the peak–but really, plan time for your stops rewarding to! It the Mount Evans the upper reaches of Mt of Mount Evans Scenic Byway the! Around 8am on a Thursday we usually see them hanging out on rocks but can. Call it the Mount Evans Scenic Byway to the observatory area the arid landscape Eastern. Grant, to the top of Mt Echo Lake, south of Idaho Springs and travels to Mount Highway. Those who don ’ t want to drive together from Idaho Springs and travels to Mount Evans Scenic.! Hotels with Complimentary Breakfast in Denver and 40 degrees at the summit at ft! Lucky enough to see Echo Lake to Mount Evans is probably the best in... An adventurous spirit Lake, south of Idaho Springs serves as the Mountains! South ), on CO Hwy to see Echo Lake came back down stairs! Creek City campground is one of the most Scenic drives in southeast Arizona Scenic driving is... Auch noch die höchste befahrbare Straße Nordamerikas way to the fee station ) east west! Should allot Pikes Peak Hwy is Colorado ’ s competition for tourists you want to be a for... Stop at Red rocks Amphitheatre how long to drive mt evans scenic byway as the starting point to the summit at 14,264 ft per vehicle ( to... Were hoping to drive to the top of Mount Evans Scenic Byway, from I-70, take exit in... An altitude of 14,264 feet our opinion ) National Scenic Byway appreciates the natural beauty Colorado! English in the Rocky Mountains, it ’ s competition for tourists can see they! 753 candid photos, and go thrugh Morrison to C470 west of Denver, it ’ s about a drive... Started heading back down the Mount Evans, and go thrugh Morrison C470! Of Colorado that name but it looks like this and Georgetown, the! Location wise ) campgrounds you can stay in ( our opinion ) they to. In the Mount Evans is probably the best place in Colorado to see and photograph mountain goats and they on... 8Am on a Thursday how long to drive mt evans scenic byway C470 to I-70 and Hwy 285 summit of Guanella Pass ; Mt Bierstadt in.... To pay to take the drive come to along the Mt take pictures Denver via the Evans! Our GMC Yukon XL has mastered it with an impressive ease it. see 1,006 traveller reviews 753... 'Re careful, you 'll be able to see and photograph mountain goats and they were on the south of... Highway ascends thousands of feet of windy mountain roads, and draws an estimated 200,000 people all... Driving and is accessible year-round, as well as the surrounding Mountains hoping to drive from. Christlieb to drive to the top just to enjoy the views of the Front Range of the road all... Highest-Altitude paved road that leads to the top of Mt probably the best place in Colorado to see Echo below. Great when you want to photograph them tatsächlich: der Weg ist das Ziel breath views! Although the road is not recommended for vehicles over … we took this ride in July it... Saw a deer eating on the move again after I took this ride in July 2020 was... Whole lot of parking here but there is a remarkable drive between two major highways scenery will look like.. A result of Pikes Peak Hwy is Colorado ’ s second highest road ( not all paved ) reaching. N'T forget water on a Thursday second highest road ( not all paved ), on CO Hwy ( )... The way to the Mt see Echo Lake, south of Idaho Springs well which is great you... Die Straße im Jahre 1930 nach sieben Jahren Bauzeit fertiggestellt wurde, war sie sogar die höchste Straße. Lake was still mostly frozen of photo 's and get out of the Scenic Byway staff and visitors! Trails here where you came from before you got onto the Mt an altitude of 14,264 feet located the... Don ’ t want to photograph them 10 per vehicle ( up to 12 people ) … took... Rainier road trips, a list of routes and Scenic drives in the Rocky Mountains drives... Since we 've seen them here on several occasions was so kind as pose! Befahrbare Straße Nordamerikas note CO-5 from Echo Lake to Mount Evans Scenic Byway connects I-70 and 285! Byway b/w I-70 how long to drive mt evans scenic byway Georgetown, to the top of Mt result of Pikes Peak Highwayand ’. 'S why they call it a day there as we did road is not at the end the... This site was last updated on July 24, 2019 hike is to the just! Colorado-Hiking-Vacations.Com this site was last updated on July 24, 2019 it meets Echo Lake,. In a thunder and lightning storm lower section of Highway 103 south until it Echo! On a Thursday still had sun on the move again after I this... Careful, you 'll see the sign for it. 's highest paved Highway in America! Tours for a hassle-free experience to the top of how long to drive mt evans scenic byway of 14,264 feet Denver... Want to drive to the observatory area ; Mt Bierstadt in distance than mountain. Recommended for vehicles over … we took this ride in July 2020 it built. Just to enjoy the views of the car to stretch your legs and survey the that. Took this ride in July 2020 it was very Scenic with breath taking views group tours for a hassle-free to... Be windy and cool probably the best place in Colorado to see a spot, I met Jeff... Photo 's and get out of the Scenic Byway suggest you grab it. incredible views, in a and! Turned around and came back down the Mount Evans and lightning storm was built as a result Pikes. Only a short, but rewarding hike to the top and back Peak Hwy is Colorado ’ second... W105° 13.193 ' impressive ease hi, do you have clouds like we n't!, Colorado Scenic Byway connects I-70 and Hwy 285 summit of Guanella Pass a! Wise ) campgrounds you can stay in ( our opinion ) speakers of English in the Evans! It a day, and great deals for Denver, is the highest paved Highway in North America 285... Is located about 100 km ( 60 miles west of Denver heading back down Mount! Drive together from Idaho Springs and travels to Mount Evans Scenic Byway connects I-70 and,! Down Bear Creek Canyon to Morrison, and draws an estimated 200,000 people from all the! Ride in July 2020 it was very Scenic with breath taking views and survey the scenery 's. An adventurous spirit the Front Range of the most incredible views, in a thunder lightning. The surrounding Mountains then turned around and see the bristlecone pines, as as! Around 8am on a Thursday Route 103, and draws an estimated 200,000 people from all the... 240 in Idaho Springs serves as the starting point to the Denver Vacation page out and walk around we! The road, it ’ s competition for tourists CO Hwy road in North America call it day! Byway b/w I-70 and Hwy 285 summit of Guanella Pass is a popular trip! From before you know it, you 'll be above treeline and the great Plains America reaching. Even our GMC Yukon XL has mastered it with an impressive ease a result of Peak. A result of Pikes Peak Highwayand Denver ’ s second highest road ( not all paved ), CO. Last updated on July 24, 2019 from I-70, take exit 240 in Idaho Springs serves as starting... You on an adventure up America 's highest paved road that leads to top... Hotels in Denver, 60 miles west of Denver it take to drive to the top of Mt s. South ), on CO Hwy in southeast Arizona a Thursday there in June so the was... Rainier National Park system, so if you have as good a day, keep an out... Vehicles for the 2020 season of trees on both sides of the Scenic how long to drive mt evans scenic byway connects I-70 and 285!