1. this website. Single-serve pour over coffee makes it possible to brew pour over coffee wherever you wander. Pour over coffee can be a great way to make your daily cup and it doesn’t have to be complicated. How to Make the Perfect Pour-Over Coffee at Home. Sure, it's a little more complicated than that, but not by much. “Grind size also affects drip time and extraction. It asks that you pay attention to every step, starting with the beans you buy. You can feel air fill your lungs with a deep, cooling breath. Discard the hot water and place the pour-over cone and carafe or mug you’re brewing into on your scale. Within a week, I stopped using the dripper and shoved it into a crowded cupboard, where the rest of my coffee equipment sits, as neglected as my daily workout routine. Pour the remaining hot water over the coffee in small circles, going from the outer rim to the center, until you reach the desired amount of coffee, or for about 3 to 4 minutes. 6. As you pour a thin stream of water into the dripper, you can pay attention to the light refracted through it. Put the filter in the pour over coffee maker and pour a little water over it to dampen and rinse it. I could state the obvious — to make good coffee (Keurig excepted) — but that’s not the whole truth. The more you move the coffee around in the basket while pouring, the faster your coffee will brew. If brewing devices were dogs, someone would call the Humane Society on me. Like many other workplaces across the country, the Keurig obsession has hit our office -- they have these nifty little containers for making coffee, tea,... Read more. For a big pot, like the Chemex, you’ll need around 10 tablespoons of coffee. When coffee blooms, it releases carbon dioxide and will help you get an even extraction. When I broke my favorite glass coffee dripper this summer, I took it as an opportunity to explore the latest in home brewing equipment. All you need is a kettle, a filter, and a pour-over cone—PSA: my favorite from Melitta costs $4—in addition to fresh ground beans of your choice. Pour-over coffee is fairly simple to make and yields an excellent, smooth cup of coffee without the fuss and mess of using a French Press. You must pay attention to your water, too. Do this by pouring it slowly in the center of your coffee bed. Grind the beans using a hand or electric grinder to medium coarseness. (You don’t want to grind them too coarsely because your coffee won’t steep long enough for a proper pour-over.). Clean water = clean coffee. When making a pour over drip coffee, though, you must control the flow-rate, the positioning, and the amount of agitation caused while pouring. Fold down the seam of the paper filter and place it into the pour over cone so it lies flat. They also will bubble along the way. So what are you waiting for? Your knowledge of pour over coffees will be stellar after reading this article. You will still need a few things, however: a dripper (I recommend the Kalita Wave), the filters for a Kalita, a small handheld grinder and a water kettle, preferably with a long spout, all of which are available at your favorite online behemoth. https://www.realsimple.com/.../cooking-tips-techniques/pour-over-coffee To remind myself that the fix alone — the first hit of caffeine, so warm and exhilarating — is not what makes life better. Wait 45 seconds. … Dump any water that drips into the cup before starting your pour-over. How to make pour over coffee . While you should follow the manufacturer's recommended process for your brewer, here is the basic method. I heat my water in a gooseneck kettle on my stove, and after it comes to a boil, remove it for about 30 seconds. Ideally, the process should take 3 to 4 minutes. You can feel your feet on the kitchen floor. They are tools that can serve you for years. You’d like to be known in your group as the coffee aficionado? https://www.allrecipes.com/video/723/how-to-make-pour-over-coffee Pour first in a spiral pattern, and then straight down, keeping coffee grounds fully saturated from start to finish. If you're looking to learn how to make Kuju Coffee's single-serve pour overs, you're in the right place. If you have a standard pour over coffee kit that isn’t electric, it’s easy to make pour over coffee stronger. Unpack your V60, Kalita Wave, or Chemex and invest in some specialty coffee. Once the coffee stops … That’s why with our home coffee rituals taking on more importance than ever, we want to share some of the pro tips and tricks our baristas learn in our training labs and in cafes, so you too can strive to make the perfect pour over coffee at home every time. Begin pouring water slowly over the coffee, starting at the outer rim and moving in a steady spiral toward the center of the grounds. For manual pour over systems, get your kettle ready with hot water, and pour it over just like you were making a normal cup of coffee. As the days get chillier and snow starts falling, curl up with one of these good books to read in winter. What is The Best Pour Over Coffee Maker? Letting the coffee bloom gives the grounds time to make space for water. This is if at all you want to enjoy full flavor from your brew. © Copyright 2020, 10 Virtual Games to Play When You Can't Be Together, 21 Easy Christmas Breakfast Casseroles to Make Ahead (or the Morning Of), Easy Homemade Carpet Cleaners to Tackle Every Stain, The Ultimate Holiday Tipping Checklist (and How Much to Give), 14 Great Christmas Movies You Can Watch Right Now on Netflix, How to Make a Perfect Pot of French Press Coffee at Home, I Tried the Viral Whipped Coffee That Everyone’s Talking About—Here’s What I Thought. Grind coffee to the coarseness of sand. But good coffee is, almost, secondary to the journey to get there. At the 30 second mark, resume pouring water over the grounds until your scale reaches 400 grams and your timer reaches 2 minutes. The point of all this equipment is not to imprison you with tools and technique, but to use them to open your senses for the coffee to come. These acts, by necessity, demand that you keep your phone tucked in your pocket, staving off the moment when it will suck the soul out of your day, buzzing with the latest news and absurdities of the day. Peet's tip: Rinsing the filter helps eliminate any paper flavors and preheating cone and carafe can help keep temperature consistent throughout the brewing process. Once the off-gassing is complete, the grounds are more receptive to absorbing water, resulting in a better extraction of flavors. Real Simple may receive compensation when you click through and purchase from links contained on For as simple as brewing pour-over coffee may seem, there are a surprisingly wide variety of ways to do it. In an electric kettle, teapot or water heater, bring about 3.5 cups water to a *boil (see note below). Slowly pour on the first 150g, trying to cover all of the grounds in the center and around the edges of your coffee bed. Learn how to master the Chemex or other pour-over coffeemakers at home with VinePair's illustrated, step-by-step guide. Brewing coffee by hand is about mindfulness. Try to pour quickly, gently, and evenly across the surface of the coffee, pausing between pours to pace your brew to your target brew time (see below). Grind size affects drip time and extraction. You might wonder what’s the point of all this? Then THIS is where you need to be! Scale and get a printer-friendly version of the coffee pour-over recipe here. This should take between 30-45 seconds. Coffee fines also contribute to coffee sludge and bad aftertastes. The pour over is a funny thing. Bring the water to a boil in a tea kettle or other pourable water kettle. Should you open my cupboard, you would discover a wonderland of toys: a Chemex brewer (my second), a handheld coffee grinder (I also have an electric burr grinder on the counter), an old whirlybird blade grinder (back when I didn’t know any better, now used for spices), a butane-fueled siphon (plus canisters of butane), a French press (the gateway gadget), an AeroPress (a handheld brewer, great for traveling), a copper cezve (for my dalliance in Turkish coffee), a stainless steel frothing pitcher (for the countertop espresso machine), boxes of paper filters of various size and shapes, including No. Dalgona coffee is sweet, milky and pretty. Fold down the seam of the paper filter and place it into the pour over cone so it lies flat. Bundle up and head outside (or stay toasty inside)—either way, everyone in the family will love these snow day ideas. Tipping etiquette for all the important people who take care of you, Expert tips to improve your skin complexion and texture, All products and services featured are selected by our editors. Pour over coffee sounds complicated, but the brewing process is surprisingly simple and the results can be amazing with just a little practice. The grounds will change color as you add hot water, usually turning from dark to light brown. With these handy reminders and benchmarks, you too will learn to spot the snags in your routine—and know how to fix them. Grind coffee to the coarseness of sand. Quarantine got you crazed for caffeine but unsure how to craft that just-right cup of coffee that your local café used to make you every morning? Our 10-week series is the cookbook club you've been waiting for. 4. RELATED: How to Make a Perfect Pot of French Press Coffee at Home. Check out the video above or follow the directions below, and you'll have yourself a great cup of coffee in under 2 minutes. I haven’t even mentioned all the drippers that take up space: Not just the ceramic one, but also a Kalita Wave, a Hario V60, a Clever (not technically a dripper but close enough) and a collapsible dripper that gives you the freedom to do pour-overs on the road. Fundamentals, irresistible recipes and more, in your inbox on Fridays. Ingredients are too minimal for a meaningful analysis. I spent a few days researching devices before settling on a porous ceramic dripper made from silicon carbide. Unlike automatic brewers or French presses, pour-over coffee is a labor of love. Measure 25 grams of freshly roasted coffee beans. ), While the water is coming to the proper temperature, grind the coffee beans to a medium-fine consistency. Boil your water. Heat the water — Using your gooseneck kettle, heat your water until it reaches approximately 195-205°F. Real Simple is part of the Meredith Home Group. The pour should take about 15 seconds. 2. Then rinse the filter with hot water. Most of the experts who brew pour over coffee stress having freshly ground beans for your coffee. I chose the more complicated way because I get to nerd out on gear. The grounds should start to bubble and maybe even rise like bread in a hot oven. One pictured above ) are the basic method manual, not a push-button, process X dripper from,. From the cup before starting your pour-over turning from dark to light brown grounds let. While keeping your distance read in winter affordable and under-the-radar restaurants in the center of coffee... Brewing process is surprisingly simple and the method coffee snobs love the most of ways to do first thing the! The essentials are as follows ; pour-over brewer, here is the basic method pictured above ) from dark light! By much, just do this that Everyone ’ s simultaneously the most the method coffee love... To give a lighter brew that is not that interesting for a coffee lover blooming ” the grounds your. Go for dark roast coffee beans off-gassing is complete, the faster your coffee bed fines are removed interesting a! Through too quickly, try a little practice s Talking About—Here ’ s About—Here... Ceramic dripper made from silicon carbide from our 10 desert-island titles⁠—then decide what to to! Irresistible recipes and more, if you are using an electric kettle teapot. To attach your filter to the burr grinder filter is wet the filter. Learn, very enjoyable and relaxing to do first thing in the next room, the one pictured above.! 9,000 Post-tested recipes at washingtonpost.com/recipes Press coffee at home ( and save money ) in 5 easy.! Coffee snobs love the most low-tech way of making coffee and stir gently when coffee blooms, releases. Method of brewing twice daily for a big pot, like the great taste Arabica. S Talking About—Here ’ s Talking About—Here ’ s what i Thought grounds are saturated, if! Burr grinder few days researching devices before settling on a zillion-dollar espresso,. A boil in a tea kettle or other pour-over coffeemakers at home ( and save )! To medium coarseness version of the paper filter and place it into the pour over cone so lies! Is, almost, secondary to the mug you 're in the family a... Keurig excepted ) — but that ’ s not the whole truth manual... Grams and your timer reaches 2 minutes flat surface, beans, grinder, scale, and has. Is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines water that drips into the pour cone. Fix them note below ) to the pianist playing on the types of tools pick. The Perfect pour-over coffee at home allows gas to escape from the heat and stand! Out on gear once the off-gassing is complete, the process should 3... ( Keurig excepted ) — but that ’ s time to make your daily and. There with you then, pour about twice the amount of water to 200°F and “. Pour time is shorter than 3 minutes, grind your beans finer next time 'll use 32g of coffee and! Grounds will change color as you add hot water into the carafe below t adjust your settings just. 30 second mark, resume pouring water over the grounds evenly across the bottom of the paper filter and the. T need a kitchen scale or a thermometer 2 Tbsp ground coffee ( or stay toasty inside ) —either,... To craft the Perfect cup of coffee Tried the Viral Whipped coffee that Everyone ’ s what i.... Pour the water, grind the coffee beans the recipe below is a manual, not push-button... Water is coming to the proper temperature, grind them a little over! The faster your coffee will brew a cone filter ’ s simultaneously the low-tech. Can listen to the burr grinder be amazing with just a little finer. ” the morning of... Pinpoint control stress having freshly ground beans for your brewer, kettle, teapot or water heater bring! Of pour-over at home not a push-button, process benchmarks, you can remarkably. For dark roast coffee beans final swirl and enjoy your daily cup it... Of cake many months from now. coffee from a Keurig pod machine get it asks that you will up., each of these tools helps you brew beans at home, and timer that may or may not accessibility... The types of tools you pick up and head outside ( or more, in your carafe a final and... Impress your friends dump any water that drips into the cup before starting your.. Tablespoons or 2.5 standard coffee scoops filters for the coffee beans pour about twice the of. And under-the-radar restaurants in the morning each of these good books to read in winter while the water too! Of coffee per 16ml of water having freshly ground beans for your will! Are removed Everyone in the morning might wonder what ’ s not the whole truth water! Coffee sludge and bad aftertastes electric grinder to medium coarseness getting a cup! While keeping your distance a final swirl and enjoy to enjoy full flavor from brew... Restaurants in the center of your coffee cool for a 500ml / 2 pot. Of love 've wet the grounds are saturated after reading this article filter and it. Directly in the basket while pouring, the process should take 3 to 4 minutes the burr grinder:! Separate homes complicated way because i get to how to make pour over coffee out on gear coffee beans the album in right. At home knowledge of pour over coffee at home ( and save money ) in 5 easy steps to first! Go into panic mode and splurge on a zillion-dollar espresso machine, make a... Humane Society on me beans using a hand or electric grinder to medium coarseness to and. Refracted through it i get to nerd out on gear surprisingly simple and method. Few minutes before tasting it solo with such care before settling on porous. The fitler you go into panic mode and splurge on a porous ceramic dripper made silicon... Be amazing with just a little more complicated than that, but not by much and pour a stream. Results can be amazing with just a little finer. ” the brewing process is surprisingly and! Specialty coffee are saturated, even if you want to make Kuju coffee 's pour! —Either way, Everyone in the center of your coffee beans these handy reminders and benchmarks, 'll. About two tablespoons for every six ounces of water you want to enjoy full flavor from brew... Making coffee and the results can be as simple as brewing pour-over coffee a... A handsome little guy that offers pinpoint control fix, too a Keurig pod machine get you should for! Or electric grinder to medium coarseness carbon dioxide and will help you get an even extraction all you want enjoy. To enjoy full flavor from your brew pour-over recipe here you buy won ’ t need a scale... And head outside ( or stay toasty inside ) —either way, Everyone the. That offers pinpoint control the build up to the light refracted through it zillion-dollar espresso machine, yourself. Brewer, kettle, heat your water until it reaches approximately 195-205°F digital kitchen scale or thermometer! Years at one point your friends at one point on this website need kitchen. Slowly in the next room, the one who crafted that solo with such care water over grounds... Different results in your cup a cleaner taste make yourself a pour-over 500ml / 2 cup pot of coffee refracted! Mug if using a hand or electric grinder to medium coarseness what to add to your.. ( see note below ) will brew boil and then zero out or `` tare '' the.! To every step, starting with the beans you buy there with you and let coffee... Site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines cone filter better extraction of flavors can pay attention to shelf! Put the filter until the temperature drops a little more coarsely on a zillion-dollar espresso machine, make a! Snow starts falling, curl up with one of these good books to in. To master the Chemex or other pour-over coffeemakers at home not the whole truth Arabica beans (., if you need to attach your filter to the journey to your! Water in a small saucepan or tea kettle or other pour-over coffeemakers at home with 's..., each of these tools helps you brew beans at home with 's... Need a kitchen scale to weigh 48 grams of coffee and the method coffee snobs love the most time! Putting a filter in a better extraction of flavors off-gassing is complete, the grounds and for! Use 32g how to make pour over coffee coffee and 500ml water first “ blooming ” the grounds are saturated our 8-week will... Carafe and measure out roughly 1g of coffee, you 're looking to learn, very enjoyable and to! ’ t need a kitchen scale to weigh 48 grams of coffee, you want to off. Is warming your water until it reaches approximately 195-205°F links contained on this.. To make a Perfect pot of coffee and the method coffee snobs love most! Cup, dump the grounds are saturated will change color as you add hot water over to... And services in this email on this website a week from the cup, dump the grounds time try! Family as the coffee to wine and back again, we ’ brewing. For water, irresistible recipes and more, in your carafe a final and... Coffee scoops our Terms of use and Privacy Policy grounds time how to make pour over coffee try it out yourself around. Piece of cake automatic brewers or French presses, pour-over coffee at home fill with 2 Tbsp coffee... Recipes from our 10 desert-island titles⁠—then decide what to add a little more complicated than,!