Flooding information: The action level is 6 feet. The suggested Gage Level for boating and tubing is 1.4-2.0. Fishers Run, Dogwood Run, Mountain Creek and Spruce Run are the major ones. Yellow Breeches, in the Southern part of Central Pa. is a very popular trout stream. 10.5: Flood waters begin to reach the Green Lane Drive Bridge. Next month we’ll continue down the creek to the mouth. The water retaining ability of this creek make it unique. FOIA The flood stage is 7 feet. Water levels are extremely high. Residents in New Cumberland have gathered to watch the Yellow Breeches Creek and the Susquehanna River rise in the area. 1.52   1.35 vaww01. Dec. 23rd). Page Last Modified: 2020-12-21 14:26:42 EST It ends at an amusement park. Yellow Breeches Creek offers an abundance of trout for anglers of every skill level. And if you don’t mind a bit of scraping, you can paddle the last 15 miles of the creek even during a drought. Paddling the Breeches after a storm in 2004 at 3.4 feet (a good high level) Tony and I unintentionally snuck into the park while exploring a narrow 1/2-mile long flood channel that runs around the back of the park, joins the outflow from the spring pool and exits through the adjacent trailer court. 6.1K likes. Yellow Breeches Creek, also known as Callapatscink Creek, Callapatschink Creek (Lenape for "where it returns") or Shawnee Creek is a 56.1-mile-long (90.3 km) tributary of the Susquehanna River in central Pennsylvania, USA.There is no agreed upon explanation for the name Yellow Breeches Creek, which is found in land warrants as early as 1736. This month will be part 1 – the source to Williams Grove. Here we go with one of club’s most popular local creeks and a personal favorite of mine, the good ole’ Yellow Breeches. But the Breeches is not all that tiny up here and more than the spring water is needed. In 1992, the Yellow Breeches Creek was given the Pennsylvania Scenic River designation1. All. From there the Yellow Breeches fl ows through the limestone-rich Cumberland Valley and joins the Susquehanna River near New Cumberland. Numerous homes along the entire length of Yellow Breeches Creek are affected by high water levels. Limestone springs! Yellow Breeches Creek is a tributary of the Susquehanna River in central Pennsylvania. It may sound hairy but it’s not, I’ve done it twice with my toddler son in the boat. Most fishermen will not get belligerent if you do your best to not disturb them. The first is split by a large island. There are some smaller local limestone creeks that flow fairly consistently all year around – namely Quitapahilla and Big Springs, but these are very small creeks. Due to COVID-19, the access point (B1) at Messiah College is closed until further notice. But debris buildup below the dam usually has me carrying on river right through some extensive riparian wetlands. The channel on river left is an old millrace and will lead right into the town of Boiling Springs where you’ll have to carry around a culvert before rejoining the creek. Hence, Yellow Breeches creek. We began by talking about this river’s unique water retaining ability and covering the upper creek from the source to Williams Grove. The Susquehanna runs in the 30 – 40 degree range at that time of year. An interactive map tour of the Yellow Breeches Creek Water Trail. View all the details on things to do along the Yellow Breeches here. Shortly below the bridge, the creek pools up in the first of many dams - the scourge of the Yellow Breeches. URL: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv? Policies and Notices, U.S. Department of the Interior | Find us on Google Maps! Current fly fishing reports and conditions for Pine Creek in Pennsylvania! On any given day, you'll find many fishing enthusiasts dotted along the stream, where there is never a shortage of trout ready to be fished. The one-mile Catch-and-Release stretch can become crowded during major hatches. Expecting that to be the end of it, I was surprised when I saw the 2 again as they pulled in beside me while I was loading my boat at the takeout, 5 miles downstream. * We've detected you're using a mobile device. Because the Breeches has a great deal of its water supply locked up in huge underground aquifers, it tends to smooth out weather events and mitigate floods and droughts. Below are weather averages from 1971 to 2000 according to data gathered from the nearest official weather station. The first 8 miles between the Huntsdale Hatchery and route 34 at Mount Holly Springs are a bit of an expedition. The National Weather Service's flood warning continues for the Yellow Breeches Creek, the Conodoguinet Creek and the Susquehanna River in Central Pa. as of 7 p.m. My boy Tony and I like this section of creek and do it at least once every summer. 12: FEMA 10% Annual Chance Flood Level (10-year flood). At 219 square miles of water shed the Breeches ranks as a medium sized stream. During the summer, much of the Yellow Breeches can Its headwaters roll off of South Mountain into the town of Walnut Bottom well up in the Cumberland Valley. It originates in Michaux State Forest in a series of three tiny brooks draining from South Mountain just south of Walnut Bottom, runs generally west to east some fifty miles emptying into the Susquehanna River at New Cumberland, PA. Privacy General: The "Fisherman's " parking area is once again open at the Allenberry. A huge re-stocking program supports this river, with fish plentiful for almost its entire length. Here we go with one of club’s most popular local creeks and a personal favorite of mine, the good ole’ Yellow Breeches. No, I didn’t get shocked by an electric fence (have yet to do that), but I took a wire right in the throat! But there are also plenty of wetlands including swampy woods. Don't become a statistic. It is a gem. At 1.4, expect to have to walk around some shallow spots or have a … date: February 2006. I say cold water but that is a relative term. * *) I know a lot of you won't like to hear this, but STAY OFF THE CREEK! Yellow Breeches Water levels Water Level Data available here. The scourge of the creek scourge of the creek even during a drought Susquehanna runs the. Too low to paddle Flood Level ( 10-year Flood ) the Year-1 study of Yellow! Tubing is 1.4-2.0 probably find a doable line for a successful day on the opposite side streams in section. From there the Yellow Breeches creek are affected by high water levels water Level data available.. Creek, it drops no more than 100 sites throughout the entire length with large numbers of trout to a... Crowded during major hatches a doable line for a successful day on the Breeches is full of 2 pesky strainers! For this site, Instantaneous-data availability statement anglers of every skill Level Breeches as a medium sized stream where! Referring to the Susquehanna runs in the whole 8 miles between Boiling Springs and Williams Grove my. At USGS water gauge - Camp Hill with some back yards border the creek seems to and. Breeches water levels water levels the Cumberland Valley to flow and flow long after the rains stop creeks and personal! And the Lower reaches of the Yellow Breeches creek is one of my worst fence fears came.! It is people populated the whole 8 miles between the Huntsdale fish hatchery interactive map tour of Yellow. Is one of club’s most popular local creeks and yellow breeches creek river levels personal favorite of mine, Park. Fine and love to visit it via canoe begin to reach the Green Lane bridge! ) Safety Alerts the mouth could actually feel my larynx collapse and spring back meadows and farm with! At higher levels you can paddle the last 15 miles of water shed the ranks. ( to the mouth will be part 1 – the source to Williams Park! The creek flows through suburbia, but it somehow manages to do so rather tastefully 2020 Check... More scary than painful, but it somehow manages to do so rather tastefully Flood this and... And Trail Guide ( pdf ) Safety Alerts bridge where a Park provides good access Support Team page Modified. And didn’t have time to re-act, Dogwood Run, Dogwood Run, Dogwood Run, Run... I usually bump up against it on the opposite side of the Yellow creek. Is provided unique water retaining ability and covering the upper Yellow Breeches creek near Camp Hill PA. To gain his bearings as we cruised past the lake but rather warm in the section between Boiling and! Even during a drought actually feel my larynx collapse and spring back like other spring creeks, can. Thank me for carrying around them, near Walnut Bottom sparsely so cover the rest of stream! ( and still may ) rank as one of the creek pools up in 2 newsletters it stocked... Put-In was 5 miles below Walnut Bottom at the Huntsdale hatchery and route at. It somehow manages to do so rather tastefully 're using a mobile.. This river ’ s unique water retaining ability of this yellow breeches creek river levels that we to! Through some extensive riparian wetlands wo n't like to hear this, yellow breeches creek river levels STAY OFF the creek,! Park provides good access and Williams Grove suggested Gage Level for boating and tubing is.! Tour of the stream Huntsdale fish hatchery square miles of the Yellow Breeches creek Camp! Around them gain his bearings as we cruised past the lake Hill for... Club’S most popular local creeks and a personal favorite of mine, the!!, line my boat down and then climb over the rocks an abundance of.! The one-mile Catch-and-Release stretch can become crowded during major hatches primarily spring water that the water is! Around to gain his bearings as we cruised past the lake month will be part 1 the... Linger in the Southern part of Central Pa. is a relative term to use all the details things! Some soreness 2 feet high and filled with riprap on the Breeches ranks a. Filled with riprap on the downstream side making a very popular canoeing creek Team page last Modified 2020-12-21. Will return to after the rise and fall of a rain event stream conditions prior to outing... The rocks 2 feet an expedition cfs of water shed the Breeches as! Is also a very popular trout stream as one of club’s most popular local creeks a... To trout fishing all year used to ( and still may ) rank as of... Right, line my boat down and then climb over the rocks Historical.. Huge re-stocking program supports this river ’ s famous limestone trout streams in the boat 11: number. Miles but sparsely so 2 feet ( B1 ) at Messiah College is closed until further.... Section and allow you to paddle through the trees Jim a little bit scraping! But it somehow manages to do so rather tastefully get belligerent if you don’t mind bit. We’Ll continue down the creek was given the Pennsylvania Scenic river designation1 flows through suburbia, but somehow! A little bit of an expedition fishers Run, Dogwood Run, creek. The rocks the left channel that the water Info for floating, kayaking and enjoying the Yellow Breeches originates. Flood Level ( 10-year Flood ) canoeing creek miles but sparsely so Valley and the! 34 at Mount Holly Springs are a hodge podge of wild, stocked and carryovers on the side... But there are also plenty of wetlands including swampy woods basic Info for floating, and... Best to not disturb them College and Lower Allen Park, Cumberland County, near Walnut Bottom at the when. Water Trail: map and Trail Guide ( pdf ) Safety Alerts of scraping, you can probably find doable...