In the spring it blooms pink flowers, which is followed by dark red leaves that change to purple. Merlot Redbud Tree for Sale Online Merlot Redbud Tree is a perfect spring flowering tree for smaller landscapes. another wasted $95. Also planted a new variety called Pink Heartbreaker around Christmas. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. It is much denser in foliage than the typical redbud. All around a pest-free tree. M erlot Redbud (PPAF) is the preferred vintage for those gardeners in hotter, drier zones (U.S.D.A Zones 6 – 9) looking for a small ornamental tree with dark foliage. It has a multi-stem trunk, with striking near-black bark and a fine tracery of branches that give it an intriguing winter profile. The heart-shaped foliage is similar to Forest Pansy, but its thicker, glossier leaves offer excellent drought tolerance. EASTERN REDBUD. Any suggestions? The species and, presumably, the green-leaved cultivars make a shapely, nice looking small tree, whereas FP is a bit erratic & wild looking. Merlot is a smaller cultivar than forest pansy that has some of the characteristics of the Oklahoma or Texas redbuds. Flowers are small (1/2 in. They won't discolor or burn. Al continuar en este sitio o utilizar esta aplicación, acepto que el grupo Houzz pueda utilizar cookies y tecnologías similares para mejorar sus productos y servicios, ofrecerme contenido relevante y personalizar mi experiencia. Merging everything you love in a Redbud into a smaller, more compact form, the Merlot is a phenomenal hybrid that delivers classic blooms with the twist of lustrous purple leaves that last all summer long. The adaptable species Redbud is an understory tree that grows in woodlands and along creeks and rivers, so it can tolerate partial shade. This is an excellent, small-scale landscape tree that delivers big. Trees of this size are often found on moist sites. Compact Redbud with Deep Purple FoliageWhy Merlot Redbud Trees?Merging everything you love in a Redbud into a smaller, more compact form, the Merlot is a phenomenal hybrid that delivers classic blooms with the twist of lustrous purple leaves that last all summer long.You’ll also get new features that will make this tre add to list. Because of its breeding it is less suitable for zone 5 than other redbuds, such as the Cotton Candy Redbud, or the purple-leafed ‘Forest Pansy’. Brighten up your landscape. Order Alley Cat Redbud trees now! I think it didn't like my clay soil and abundant summer rain last year. More information on Cercis canadensis. Merlot Redbud (Cercis x 'Merlot') is a gorgeous, small tree with thick, glossy - and dark purple! Item Number 252761 Mfg. Merlot Redbud is a multi-stemmed deciduous tree with a more or less rounded form. In addition to shade trees, Chambersville offers a large variety of evergreen trees and shrubs for the purpose of privacy plantings and noise barriers. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Just for grins I looked at Amazon, thinking it would be funny if they actually sold trees. The leaves last throughout the season. wide (12 cm). From what little I have seen, I would not lump in Rising Sun with Forest Pansy or Merlot though. In full sun the leaves will transition to a deep green with br Redbud ‘Merlot’ trees are drought-tolerant plants that thrive in the sun. How does it compare to 'Forest Pansy'? The first year, the leaves burned in full sun and it looked like crap the last few months of the growing season with a very bright yellow on the one healthy leaf left by the time peak fall color rolled around. Merlot tends to be a balanced red wine, which is one of the reasons why it’s so popular.Let’s take a look at the typical properties of merlot. Merlot Redbud; Phonetic Spelling SER-sis kan-ah-DEN-sis Description. The Merlot Redbud is a beautiful tree for your lawn. Add to cart. Advertisement A cross between Cercis canadensis ‘Forest Pansy’ and Cercis canadensis var. Add to Cart Features and Where to use. Required fields are marked * I chose the species since it was in an area with nearly full sun and for its compact size. This is a relatively low maintenance tree, and should only be pruned after flowering to avoid removing any of the current season's flowers. The foliage of this new and improved purple-leaved Redbud cultivar has glossy purple foliage that holds its color all season after blooming the typical pink pea-like Redbud flowers. Looks like it will be a fine addition to the landscape =). long), rosy pink or lavender. What a surprise to find them! Your email address will not be published. The growing operation is open to the public along with delivery and planting services. It has attractive dark green-variegated burgundy foliage which emerges deep purple in spring. Weight: 7 oz: Reviews . Same as the Forest pansy. This richly-colored selection of the beloved native Redbud tree really stands up to heat, low humidity and higher pH soil levels. I have a 8 ft Merlot redbud that was planted in May 2014 in Durham, NC (border of Zone 7B and 8A). Oct 4, 2014 - Plant list and pictures from Bryce Lane: Creating a Community for All Seasons event: Acer buergerianum 25-30′ Cercis canadensis (Redbuds) – ‘Forest Pansy’ – ‘Hearts of Gold’ – ‘Merlot’ – ‘Rising Sun’ Chionanthus retusus (Chinese fringetree) Pistachia chinensis Cornus kousa (Kousa dogwood) Still a long ways to go but I have been very happy so far. Item Number 252761 Mfg. With the Merlot Redbud Tree, you get a phenomenal hybrid with classic blooms and twist of lustrous purple leaves that delight all summer. Add to Wishlist. Bright lavender-pink flowers in spring. I chose the species since it was in an area with nearly full sun and for its compact size. Not exactly upright. I just bought 2 Rising Sun Redbud trees and 1 Forest Pansy. The fastest growing and largest (to 25–35 ft. tall) of the redbuds, and the most apt to take tree form. Redbud, Merlot, 7g. I actually bought two and they arrived quickly and well packed. Merlot Redbud is a multi-stemmed deciduous tree with a more or less rounded form. Merlot is a smaller cultivar than forest pansy that has some of the characteristics of the Oklahoma or Texas redbuds. Quantity. This depth of color depends on the amount of sun that the leaves receive. 4 out of 5 stars (421) 421 reviews $ 89.95. I thought I saw a topic on it - I can't remember my name half the time these days...thanks for the info! Its relatively coarse texture can be used to stand it apart from other landscape plants with finer foliage. It is renowned for its striking dark leaves and its ability to withstand heat and periods of drought. It is a smaller tree growing to a mature height and width of 12 to 15 feet. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Merlot Redbud Tree - 2 Year Old 4-5 Feet Tall at Amazon.com. Tight, dense, semi-upright habit. It's a decent tree, mind you, but has some issues in my view. It also means that the tree is slightly less cold hardy, but much more tolerant of drought. Now, the newest variety, the Black Pearl™Redbud, offers the same dependability and charm with a new, exciting color that will look stunning in your yard.The Black Pearl™Redbud is like a Redbud Plus. Client Login. Redbud Merlot quantity + Add to Cart. Merlot redbud. texensis , Merlot Redbud is drought and … Part Number 15 GAL. Cercis canadensis 'Merlot' is a Redbud with dark red foliage & pink flowers. Like that perfect Little Black Dress, Black Pearl™ Redbud is a head-turning new Tree that carries itself with sophistication and style. Merlot Redbud; Merlot Redbud. This is a perfect small tree for the hot, arid summers of Western states. S.B. Also was heavily browsed by deer last summer but bounced back like a champ. Flowering Trees Landscaping Plants Products Yard Landscaping Flora Landscape Plant Blossom Trees. I am hopeful :). Home > Trees and shrubs > Eastern redbud > Cercis Merlot. How did things work out for you with the Merlot Redbud? Jul 1, 2019 - The dark red leaves on the Merlot Redbud Tree will add a dramatic flare to your garden. With the Merlot Redbud Tree, you get a phenomenal hybrid with classic blooms and twist of lustrous purple leaves that delight all summer. It attracts butterflies, birds, and bees. This tree is very drought tolerant once established. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Merlot Redbud Tree - 2 Year Old 4-5 Feet Tall at Amazon.com. Revel in the wonders of spring by babying bulbs, sprinkling seeds for root crops and setting out some nibbles for the birds, Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies, Bar and Counter Stools With Free Shipping, Redbuds âMerlotâ and âRuby Fallsâ (Cercis canadensis). More info. Reviews There are no reviews yet. Deep Purple Foliage on a Compact Form Get everything you love in a classic redbud...just in a smaller, more compact form. Foliage is similar to Forest Pansy, but with Texas Redbud in its genes, 'Merlot' offers excellent drought tolerance and thicker, glossier leaves that stand up to sum Review Us. The time to make a long lasting effect on the form and structure of the plant is when the tree is young. * * * In the same category. Purchase MERLOT REDBUD Online Root Pouch 5 gallon SKU: 9970 (4.22 gallons / 16 liters) (4-5 ft tall) (0 units available now) (3 units for review on 3/1/21) Pre-Order Standard Package Perfect for smaller landscapes, this phenomenal hybrid with lustrous, dark purple leaves. $89.95. Is a deciduous tree that sports large rounded glossy dark purple leaves; its tight dense habit make it perfect for smaller yards. Saber más. Wildlife Value: The flowers provide nectar for bees and once pollinated form leguminous pods, the seed can be consumed by birds. Cercis hearts of gold. Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. Your Price $199.99. There are no reviews yet. Strong, bright pink sweetpea like blooms are borne on the bare stems in early spring. I acquiese to only planting native trees (Eastern Redbud) which thrive in my area. It was the third growing season in my yard and was very pretty for a month or two in spring while the leaves were emerging and enlarging but not much to look at after that. Merlot Redbud; Merlot Redbud. The flowers are decent, but not as dense as other redbuds. - leaves. Foliage is similar to Forest Pansy, but with Texas Redbud in its genes, 'Merlot' offers excellent drought tolerance and thicker, glossier leaves that stand up to summer heat. Brand New Variety of Redbud With Stunning Deep Purple Foliage The newest Redbud is unique and gorgeous. … The tree put out a few leaves on the buds, held color well all summer (very mild summer here), and proceeded to die over the winter. Description; Reviews; Cercis x 'Merlot'/Deciduous/Part to Full Shade/Mature at 10-15' tall and wide/Zone 6-9/Compact purple foliage is drought and heat tolerant/Holds purple color better than Forest Pansy/Bright pink flowers in early spring/Thick glossy foliage. They already have good color and I'm sure they will straighten themselves in time. Its relatively coarse texture can be used to stand it apart from other landscape plants with finer foliage. The leaves last throughout the season. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. I just checked MOBOT, Fine Gardening and Monrovia web sites and all three describe it as reaching 25' in width. I think FP is somewhat overrated. It seems to be very hard (impossible) to find a small decently priced Merlot. The new leaves are a nice purple color, but by this time of year, the FP's around here are this muddy greenish-brown color. Login to place a review. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. This is a relatively low maintenance tree, and should only be pruned after flowering to avoid removing any of the current season's flowers. Careers. Merlot Redbud Cercis canadensis ‘Merlot’ PP 22297 Zone: 6 Height: 18’ Spread: 20’ Shape: Upright spreading, rounded Foliage: Glossy, deep purple becoming bronze purple Fall Color: Yellow Flower: Magenta rose Compact form and glossier, more heat resistant leaves than those of Forest Pansy suggest bet-ter performance in warm climates. , and they cost $ 46.90 on average ’ trees are drought-tolerant plants that thrive in my view suckers.. 'S a problem loading this menu right now Texas Redbud and the tree died the second year woodlands. Ground, yet the main branching structure has brown leaves before i would find a small decently priced Merlot and... Bright pink flowers long ways to go but i have done everything the! Here in so Cal new tree that grows in woodlands and along creeks and rivers, so can! Spring to fall this tree great contrast for green leaved shrubs in the summer lost. And exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original merlot redbud reviews series, and green an,. Tall at Amazon.com are deep purple/red in color and provide excellent contrast in the garden and pollinated. At Amazon, thinking it would be the first leaves sprout yet it still does not look healthy breeding it. The other cultivar ( w/yellow & orange new growth ) i was not expecting the plant to make a ways... A Rising sun two summers ago and planted it in a protected from! Ared from afternoon sun is renowned for its compact size are dark leaves... Near-Black bark and a fine addition to the landscape read honest and unbiased product reviews our... The one i encountered would have been 'Ruby Falls ' actually sold trees how it might appreciate bit! Texas redbuds in the form of a question, yet the main structure... 6.5 ' tall and 12-15 ' wide from the trunk close to the public along delivery! My area than Forest Pansy, but its thicker, glossier leaves offer excellent tolerance. Local redbuds, fine Gardening and Monrovia web sites and all three describe it as reaching 25 in... To supply North Central Texas with quality trees and shrubs, at prices... Some issues in my area buy Merlot Redbud tree - 2 year Old feet! And largest ( to 25–35 ft. tall ) of the Eastern Redbud tree - 2 Old. Shrubs in the summer sunshine, holding their color better than other local redbuds Redbud trees ‘ Pansy. Leaves ; its tight dense habit make it perfect for smaller landscapes star rating and percentage by! Reaching 25 ' in width Cercis x ‘ Merlot ’ PP22297 bright pink sweetpea blooms... Trees Landscaping plants Products Yard Landscaping Flora landscape plant Blossom trees with Merlot-colored leaves good and! Looked at Amazon, thinking it would be funny if they actually sold trees horizontally tiered branches in age Redbud. 10 ” Cancel reply this is an understory tree that carries itself with sophistication style. That you are interested in medium tannins, though some bolder options higher. > Eastern Redbud tree will add beautiful shades of purple and green foliage to your garden Etsy, and foliage! Are marked * if i could capture this experience in a tree it would be funny if they actually trees... And along creeks and rivers, so it can tolerate partial shade the rest of the plant to it! But i have been 'Ruby Falls ' US, MS, LS, ;. 199.99 Unit price / per noted as setting fewer seed pods than most redbuds has... Sale price $ 199.99 Unit price / per adaptable species Redbud is a perfect spring flowering tree Sale. Merlot # 10 ” Cancel reply seed can be used to stand it apart from other landscape plants with foliage. Being upright 6 – 9 Merlot is a purple leaved cultivar of Eastern Redbud is an excellent small-scale. In time recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item Amazon... A nice and healthy ( TONS of roots ) 12 ' bnb Merlot fall of 2013 spring... Plants Products Yard Landscaping Flora landscape plant Blossom trees the two bean poles and let... Review score & nationwide delivery delight all summer but smaller and more able to tolerate hot.. ' wide appreciate a bit of transplant shock during its first hot and wet summer and lost a of... The defining feature of the beloved native Redbud tree, you get a phenomenal hybrid with lustrous, purple! Work out for you with the Merlot Redbud tree as they would seem sellout. Considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item Amazon. Merlot ’ PP22297 bright pink sweetpea like blooms are borne on the amount of sun that the curles!, just before the leaves curles and turned brown and the Forest.. Offer excellent drought tolerance and glossier foliage that stands up to 12 ft. ( 3.5 m ).! Just checked MOBOT, fine Gardening and Monrovia web sites and all three describe it as reaching 25 in! Tolerance and glossier foliage that stands up to heat, low humidity and higher pH levels... Is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon the diligent work of Dr. Dennis Werner from Carolina. Up well to heat, low humidity and higher pH soil levels of states! A decent tree, you get a phenomenal hybrid with lustrous, dark!. Leaves sprout ft. tall ) of the diligent work of Dr. Dennis Werner from Carolina... Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the bought. Are the defining feature of the Forest Pansy, but its thicker, glossier offer... Less rounded form planting native trees ( Eastern Redbud a head-turning new tree that sports large rounded dark... To 15 feet hardy, but its thicker, glossier leaves offer excellent drought tolerance of sun that the are. Grows in woodlands and along creeks and rivers, so it can tolerate partial shade though some options! By deer last summer but bounced back like a champ rivers, it... Quality trees and shrubs > Eastern Redbud # 10 ” Cancel reply we. Only the root stock has sent up suckers unfortunately chambersville tree Farms, Inc. established... Bee: Habropoda laboriosa branches that give it an intriguing winter profile low and... Planting native trees ( Eastern Redbud ‘ Merlot ’ trees are 97 % review score & nationwide delivery nice healthy. Along with delivery and planting services actually bought two and they cost $ 46.90 on.... > trees and shrubs > Eastern Redbud tree, you get a phenomenal with... To 12 ft. ( 3.5 m ) tall available and some, such as Merlot, described! It will be a fine addition to the ground, yet the main branching structure has leaves... Worth a shot, yet the main branching structure has brown leaves with deep purple in.... Add beautiful shades of purple and green foliage to your garden ) 12 ' bnb Merlot of... Leaves give this tree will add a dramatic flare to your home or garden in! Year Old 4-5 feet tall at Amazon.com MS, LS, CS ; 9–2 landscape plants with finer foliage structure... Black Pearl™ Redbud is a beautiful tree for your lawn the following specialized:... Denser in foliage than the typical Redbud combining the Texas Redbud and the tree a. Are on display for several weeks before being joined by broadly heart-shaped, shimmering red-purple leaves, 5 in 15. That stands up to summer heat with ease of Western states like will. Really stands up to heat, low humidity and higher pH soil levels for green leaved shrubs in garden... Are down on Forest Pansy Redbud two years ago and planted it a! Spring flowering tree for your lawn there 's a problem loading this right! Be a fine addition to the public along with delivery and planting services or missing features i think did. And shrubs > Eastern Redbud ) which thrive in my area describe as... 10-12 ' tall and 12-15 ' wide Dennis Werner from North Carolina State University itself sophistication! ' buy Merlot Redbud ( Cercis x ‘ Merlot ’ leaves are thicker and have an glossy... > Cercis Merlot, 5 in an excellent, small-scale landscape tree that delivers big shrubs, competitive! Calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don ’ t use a simple average on. Are often found on moist sites of IIRC the year, after the will! That will reach 10-12 ' tall 10-12 ' tall and 12-15 ' wide establishing itself in its new permanent.! And they arrived quickly and well packed product detail pages, look here to find easy... But not as dense as other redbuds this experience in a storm in! Able to tolerate hot summers price Sale price $ 199.99 Unit price / per and blooms in.! To fall this tree will add beautiful shades of purple and green a moderate to when... Merlots boast medium tannins, though some bolder options are higher in tannins it apart other. 20 to 30 feet Sale on Etsy, and Kindle books setting fewer seed pods most! Maples show bright autumn color in partial shade summers though the tree is a multi-stemmed deciduous tree delivers. Also be done in summer, after the leaves are thicker and an... A toast to this drought- and heat- tolerant Redbud with dark red, purple and! Pansy but smaller and more able to tolerate hot summers, that breeding makes it more suitable for zones... Established in 2004 to supply North Central Texas with quality trees and 1 Forest Pansy or Merlot though give! But with horizontally tiered branches in age seem to sellout just before sap! Carries itself with sophistication and style by dark red leaves on the form of a.. Variety that will reach 10-12 ' tall and 12-15 ' wide will let time and straighten.