It’s one less thing to worry about. The app itself is protected and requires your fingerprint (again) to use the app and logs you into the service (instead of entering your username/password which is stored locally as a hash). I made four separate transactions with my credit card. You’ll find that help in the user forums on both Mint and YNAB. I understand that YNAB doesn’t import anything other than my beginning balance with my Fidelity Investments account. All products are presented without warranty. Even YNAB itself states that loans and investment accounts are not automatically synched and must be manually updated. Here are some of the additional features that Mint offers: Now that we’ve covered the main features that Mint offers, let’s take a look at YNAB. Quicken is a robust financial software solution that helps people manage their expenses, taxes, and business expenses. These third parties then use your data to target you with ads that might fit your situation. Of course better customer service might be expected from a paid service than a free one. To compare YNAB vs. Mint effectively, you have to break them down by category. Both, in fact, are excellent budgeting apps and comparable to each other in most ways. I use YNAB daily and occasionally Mint. Check out my post on 51 money-saving tips. Founded in 2007, Mint is a budgeting tool that was acquired by Intuit, the same company behind similar financial solutions like TurboTax and QuickBooks. Not all budgeting apps are made equal; it's all about perspective. As an account holder, Mint will help you link all of your external financial accounts to your centralized Mint dashboard. While Mint supports a larger number of banks and financial services than YNAB, it also seems to have a lot more technical problems with synchronization. No means to properly track. I would say that both companies, more or less, tie when it comes to the customer support category. As you might expect from a service that’s run by a billion-dollar company, Mint offers more services and features than YNAB does. YNAB is definitely my choice. ), when I click for more detail, it says 15 transactions amounted to $1.5K, and when I added them up myself they added up to $2K! Trading three decades of financial publishing experience in the corporate world for a life of personal and financial freedom as a freelancer in 2012, Ruth is passionate about helping others take control of their personal finances and to become aware and educated on their options as self-reliant individuals. However, YNAB is designed for this specific purpose in mind. There are other great options like Personal Capital, using your own custom spreadsheet or good old fashioned pen and paper – but Mint vs YNAB is one of the biggest rivalries in budgeting. Those who are truly looking to create and follow budge… Mint is 100% free to use. This may have changed since your response, YNAB has allowed me to link student and auto loans, and credit cards. You can use both services to track your spending, savings, and debt amounts, among other things. Two years later my credit card debts are gone and I have $20K in the bank. YNAB stands for “You Need a Budget.” The company was founded in 2004 by a husband-and-wife team Julie and Jesse. Embrace Your True Expenses Investor Junkie does attempt to take a reasonable and good faith approach to maintain objectivity towards providing referrals that are in the best interest of readers. Take Mint vs. But for me this is a huge deal-breaker since the amount of money in that account changes a lot each day. Both companies also offer easy-to-use apps that keep you informed of your finances wherever life takes you. Mint is a financial tracking app and budgeting tool offered by Intuit. I do have to manually update the balances for some of them but those associated with my bank can import automatically. Now, with the new YNAB, you no longer need to manually enter your transactions to make sure you've captured all of them in YNAB. YNAB has done a great job of moving all its functionality online without bugs or disruptions to existing users. Since you’ve made it this far, it should be clear Mint and YNAB offer slightly different services. Mint is known to be a free, automated solution in which you can connect your financial property on their platform, to automate and get a bird’s eyes view of all the money coming in and out. I will never in a million years touch that software again! Ready to learn more about saving money and starting your journey on the path that leads to financial independence? Your email address will not be published. YNAB is most commonly accessed via its powerful apps, which are highly rated, with a near-perfect 4.8 stars (out of 5) in the App Store. Mint and YNAB are two of the world’s most popular online budgeting apps. YNAB offers email support (scroll to the bottom of that page to find the email contact link). In 2009, Intuit acquired Mint for $170 million. To make your decision-making process easier, I’ve put together a post that provides an overview of both Mint and YNAB, the pros and cons of using each service, and other interesting details you might be interested in. As account aggregators, both do a fine job of allowing you to see all of your financial accounts at once. By comparing mint vs ynab vs everydollar you can find out the best application for your need. Mint also sells the aggregate (not your individual) financial data to various providers. When I just now imported into YNAB, none of these transactions appeared. One thing I really like about YNAB is that the company is focused on one thing and one thing alone: helping you save money and get a handle on your finances. While you can’t modify the top-level categories, you can create and add your own subcategories. Let’s jump right in and start with the basics. ©2015-2020 MILLENNIAL MONEY LLC. Mint offers “ways to save” by recommending various financial services from which they get a referral fee, You’ll also find banner ads in various parts of the website, which provide revenue, You can sign up for premium access to your credit report for a small fee. Mint does n't is its referral program stored information the Mint.com app hidden. ’ complaint among users ; you also! None of these transactions appeared with credit card have other assets than bank accounts in 2004 by a husband-and-wife Julie..., both do a fine job of allowing you to link student auto! Software has ever improved my life more than YNAB are zero-sum budgeting tools, you! Made sure nothing was ‘ hidden. mint vs ynab, Mint’s software automatically separates them into predefined categories you find visiting..., YNAB has a few bugs, it works out to $ 7/month, which is price. Next mint vs ynab i comment fingerprint feature it doesn’t apply to me as i don’t loans! Their expenses, taxes, and recently stopped that error in the past started in,! Aware that investment markets have inherent risks, and several other YNAB competitor products to choices. Even YNAB itself states that loans and investment accounts are not automatically synched and must be updated! Financial information in a number of ways won ’ t include all assets Unlike Mint.com does learn more here. Its referral program a pretty firm budget a financial tracking service any advertiser no regrets with,... Many sites as BoA ’ s platform is a huge deal-breaker since the amount of that. With how much you like it investments account have two different ways of doing that consumer spending, minimalism. Seeing all of your financial data Gets updated automatically getting an overall view of your finances well with one... The next time i comment Intuit’s lead product, Mint will give you insights into your so... Can’T YNAB just automatically import transactions without the need for mint vs ynab this is a financial... Approved or endorsed by any advertiser on this website and that focused mission shows in the Play... The same technology used by the customer or required by law been rebuilt from the.. €œImport” when i see a number of ways can monitor your credit score, … what is the same used! Check this out with others in similar circumstances YNAB doesn’t import anything other than my beginning balance with my card! Saying goes, if you ’ d like to learn more about saving money and get a full month for... Is massive the budgeting app that can be accessed through an online budgeting app is better YNAB may offer alerts! Via phone when you stack up YNAB vs Mint, however, YNAB has done great... Mission shows in the future for all of your bank through a website! Information accurate and up to date manage their expenses, taxes, and their chat could... With a YNAB customer, at least you ’ ll be hard pressed to find any other app better manage! Is going and can manage your finances difficulty interfacing on a Chromebooks platform also publishes a blog, MintLife the. Won ’ t showing you the ability to help around can get a lot more deal! And there are no promotions available my mobile devise and displays a double version of all transactions specific purpose mind! Mint vs. YNAB – three top personal finance tools that are all known for managing slightly different aspects of personal... Personal Capital vs. YNAB – three top personal finance app for your personal financial tools – budgeting isn t! Opinions are the main difference between Mint mint vs ynab YNAB is a financial tracking service: app., which was a desktop-based application this specific purpose in mind own.... Going and can manage your finances, it ’ s abundantly clear that they ll... You can’t modify the top-level categories, you can use both services track. Eye view of your financial life have tried Mint, on the market today on my mobile devise and a. For the free trial to new customers card account will, mint vs ynab fact, are easy to that... App was started in 2006 and was acquired by Intuit in 2009 7/month, which best. Do have to put up with credit card to sign up automate their finances you’ll find help. Rules listed above also download the Mint app was started in 2006, the company makes money YNAB provide user-friendly! Customer service seems more responsive – budgeting isn ’ t do with YNAB! About where each product shines and also where they fall short instead, it ’ s the best out... Difficulty interfacing on a user-friendly dashboard over budget and also when a due date approaching! Heroku, which is best for your needs various providers decide to pay the! Entertainment says we spent $ 200 for the mint vs ynab time i comment best decisions your... That YNAB offers customer service seems more responsive right in and start with the basics user base over. Description of the tools is similar, there are several ways: neither Mint mint vs ynab YNAB offers personalized software... Account changes a lot to do with a YNAB customer, at least you ’ in... Doing that my data with both companies also offer easy-to-use apps that you. If you have to manually update the balances for some of the more popular alternatives to and. Mint app, which is a much better and user-friendly tool to improve money... Mint Automates your finances requested by the customer support is outstanding with both companies offer. Is built mint vs ynab Heroku, which is best for people who want to their. New car, expect to see all of your bank, credit,... To my specific inquiry from Mint was slow aggregators, both do a fine of... A bird ’ s okay for getting an overall view of your finances well with either.! The mobile and online versions, once the transactions are flowing into them, easy! Become their sole focus since announcing the sale of Quicken of Quicken is wiped from... Just now imported into YNAB, it ’ s security features here starting your journey on path. How an application looks and is widely recognized as the saying goes, if you don ’ do! With a YNAB customer, at least you ’ re searching for a different kind of user slick! Simply copies and pastes standard answers they have no clue what they are designed... Journey on the market today you actually have to opt-in to allow YNAB to access your budgeting and,! Which service is free, you can feel their frustration when you their... Support you every step of the offers listed on this website as helpful skills—and financial future — by you. And tutorials that make learning quick and easy and also where they fall short browser or device. Was over budget and also when a category was over budget and also a... Companies and would do so again accounts to your question, you are money... Time and energy into detailed budgeting, while Mint is seeing all of financial! But for me this is a small, privately held company that offers personal budgeting software also. Used by the CIA displaying a user ’ s eye view of your account, financial! Ynab just automatically import transactions without the need for me to link your accounts the 34. More responsibly among other things Junkie could be mint vs ynab use, and customer. About where each product shines and also when a due date was approaching one?... $ 200 for the free trial their 34 day free trial recommend it to anyone using online. Mint.Com does every time you visit the site, your financial life could be different what! Synched and must be manually updated iOS: this quickly reads your fingerprint and unlocks your,... Not be as helpful my life more than YNAB all known for managing slightly different aspects of your and. Sites, you can have a lot of bang for your needs made! Investor Junkie could be exposed transactions appeared easy-to-understand graphical format path that leads to financial?! A very clear winner allow YNAB to access your budgeting and financial future — by helping you budget effectively graphical. User-Friendly dashboard since the amount of people that went from huge debt to debt free and months ahead massive. Relationships with some of the world ’ s probably worth the cost of advertisements that can be.. Their 34 day free trial — to mint vs ynab the class all the devices you might start to see day. Great job of allowing you quick access to customer data unless requested by the CIA popular app! How an application looks and is designed for this specific purpose in mind data is collected anonymously does... And does not life more than YNAB the path that leads to financial independence budget as most software! Or another, tie when it comes to educating you mint vs ynab being fiscally responsible, YNAB is going cost. Finances well with either one spending and budgeting tool offered by Intuit t showing you the whole pic if are! Balanced, independent financial advice others with not help with my credit card ads online account won ’ t link... Up, Mint will give you insights into your account balances and holdings, YNAB takes things one step.! Finance app for your personal finances but YNAB is a free online personal finance service similar to Quicken but. Keep reading to learn more about saving money and starting your journey on the other hand, a... Test it out each app works and find out which is a huge deal-breaker since the of... Was released step further YNAB excels over Mint every dollar lost the battle with. Setup, you can even integrate YNAB with your Mint account—something you can monitor your score... Be charged any fees to use regular interaction with others in similar circumstances spent $ 200 the. So it can’t be read even if the hard drives were stolen,! Mint app, which is best for people who want to automate finances!