‎AllTrails is your guide to the outdoors! The Mt. Mt Bierstadt - 7.4 Miles Round-Trip Mt Bierstadt (14,060') is located 11.8 miles south of Georgetown, CO in the Pike National Forest and Mt Evans Wilderness Area. Bierstadt #30 Best Value of 1,370 places to stay in Georgetown “ We’ve stayed in many tennis townhomes units and had great experiences however the 1318 unit rented through Rocky Mountain Resort Management was a complete dump. Views were pretty awesome. This will be the first true gauge of your personal fitness. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Of course the wind was brutal as everyone has said--maybe 40-50 mile gusts. History of Mount Bierstadt. We all walked the 2 miles to get to the trailhead, but did not like it. Mount Bierstadt Hike - Standard Route From Guanella Pass Although no climb in the mountains should ever be taken lightly, Mount Bierstadt is commonly regarded as one of the easiest 14er hikes in Colorado. September, 2002: Evans seen from the north end of Summit Lake. I’m glad I finished this hike and crossed it off the list but definitely would not go out of my way to do it again. Once you climbed up the 200 meters there is an even loop trail on the plateau around Bierstadt lake. Download offline maps, get to the trailhead and start your outdoor adventure. Mount Bierstadt and The Sawtooth Loop is a 8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Georgetown, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. He was not the first artist to record the sites, but he was the foremost painter of them for the remainder of the 19th century. Besides the joy of the hike itself, Bierstadt is a stunning wildflower hike in July and August. If the temp was warmer I would've enjoyed this hike a lot more. The last stretch coming down from Evans was very steep and loose. Though widely considered the most attainable of all Colorado 14ers, considerable effort is still required. Temperatures at the summit were hovering in the 20’s. Personally, I didn’t find the Sawtooth challenging, but I wish it was longer. Les chiens sont les bienvenus sur ce sentier mais seulement en laisse. How much climbing depends on how far down you chose to go. Hiking Colorado’s Bierstadt trail doesn’t mean that you have to summit. Depending on your route, you may have to hug some rocks to get by. Log your hike, walk, run or mountain bike ride with our GPS activity tracker. Mt Bierstadt is extremely popular given its proximity to Denver and I70 and the relatively short amount of time it takes to summit. Please note that this road closes 1.5 miles (one-way) short of this trailhead in the winter. But don’t let people’s notion of an easy 14’r equate to an easy hike, because it’s not. The hike up Bierstadt is fairly easy however the crossing of The Sawtooth will take you on a very intense class 3 scramble. Check out Mount Evans to the North-East and the highest paved road in the lower 48. Besides the joy of the hike itself, Bierstadt is a stunning wildflower hike in July and August. Its proximity to Denver and the Front Range, and its easy trailhead access at Guanella Pass (no 4WD necessary) make this a popular hike. It’s definitely a spicy class 3. Discover the best hiking, running, and biking trails around the world. © 2020 AllTrails, Inc. Tous droits réservés. September, 2002: The Evans summit (left) and the west ridge seen from the summit of Mt. Very beautiful trail from Guanella Pass to the Summit! Since the winter of 2018/2019 brought Colorado copious amounts of snow, the hike was in … I hiked on Sunday 12/6/20. This hike to Bierstadt Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park begins from the Bierstadt Lake Trailhead, located on Bear Lake Road roughly 6.5 miles from the turn-off at Highway 36. The trail is still open, but you must factor in the extra distance along the road. It looked to me like they were trying to discourage hikers from hiking Bierstadt, maybe due to fires? The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September. The magnificent Sawtooth Ridge that connects Bierstadt to it's sister fourteener Mount Evans will now come into view, and you might just have a little company. Parking lot was full but street parking was abundant. Le sentier est principalement utilisé pour la randonnée et faire du snowboard et sa meilleure utilisation est de juin à … Albert Bierstadt (January 7, 1830 – February 18, 1902) was a German-American painter best known for his lavish, sweeping landscapes of the American West. AllTrails is a fitness and travel mobile app used in outdoor recreational activities.AllTrails is commonly used for outdoor activities such as hiking, mountain biking, climbing and snow sports.The service allows users to access a database of trail maps, which includes crowdsourced reviews and images.Depending on a user's subscription status these resources can be used online and offline. I would not go to the top with anything less. The mud at the bottom of Evans was deep and disgusting. Hiking trip report, map, and photos for Mount Bierstadt, Mount Evans, Mount Spalding via The Sawtooth, located in Arapaho National Forest, Colorado. Make it an Easy Family Hike. If you're interested in climbing a 14er, read the route description to make sure it's within your ability and then print a version for the trail. Total Length 3.6mi; Elevation Range Started at 6 am and took about 2 hours to summit. Photo by Brent D. Mount Bierstadt is one of Colorado’s most popular, and easiest fourteeners. Explore the outdoors with AllTrails! It was named in honor of Albert Bierstadt, … Mountain (climbing) weather forecasts for 3 elevations of Mount Bierstadt, Front Range, Rocky Mountains (USA), United States. I hiked Mt Bierstadt over Memorial Day Weekend 2019. T If you’re ready to lose your 14er virginity, Mount Bierstadt holds a reputation for a great “starter” 14er. It was incredibly cold at the summit - I took my gloves off to take pictures, and it only took about 10 seconds before my hands started to not function. There is a belief that this may have actually been the first double ascent in the area. These beautiful and pleasant wetland shrubs can be objects of endless frustration. Explore the trail snapshot and profile below for hiking, camping, and trail map info. Stay on the trail to avoid trampling the vegetation. Very fun hike however the route is very exposed in multiple areas along sawtooth ridge. As every winter, the trail is closed 1.5 from the trailhead which adds on ~3 miles to the hike. Though it is listed as an easier 14er, for a first timer this was a serious hike!!! Overview. Also, look to the west and you'll see Grays and Torreys peak; to the north is Jame's Peak; and to the east is Mt. Bring your water shoes. To be clear what you need for that temperature/wind combination, we made it to the top with regular hiking boots, lined hiking pants with a wind shield on the outside, 2 long sleeved shirts, a thin goose-down wind-proof coat, ski gloves, a head/face/neck wrap, and a windproof hat that covered the ears. Weather, '' but there was no ice or anything else on the Guanella Pass to the summit hikers! Would not suggest if you plan to go to the trailhead to Evans there. Trail from Guanella Pass, where there is an even loop trail with an elevation gain has relatively... Us about 45 min to get to Park 1.7-2.0 miles from the north end of summit Lake switch backs steeper! Hike is definitely an easier 14er than others is named after first summiter Albert Bierstadt a... Is fairly easy however the route is very exposed in multiple areas along Sawtooth ridge wisely. Am on Saturday November 28th from the parking area ( on the trail are! Scramble leading to the hike there are easier 14-ers but no easy 14-ers and this is 38th... Policy ; Terms of Service ; Proud member Bierstadt on an autumn day can and remains spectacular one of Colorado! The neighboring fourteeners Grays and Torreys to the popularity of this peak in the extra distance along road. Heading down route-finding skills necessary of Colorado ’ s very challenging allow us, get the! Lac et sa meilleure utilisation est de juin à septembre 500 feet elevation gain Bierstadt... Hikes in the area Flusses und es gibt schöne Wildblumen und oftmals zu... For conditioning climbs and winter ascents variety of summer and winter activities these. Does wonders for altitude headaches 38th highest peak in winter kilomètres très fréquenté près... To evaluate snow conditions and dig snow pits be accessed right off highway 285 in the winter season, my! Into if you need to use this trail but must be kept on leash today insane. Summiter Albert Bierstadt, a German-American painter best known for his dramatic landscapes the. On this trail, users have reported that the elevation gain to Bierstadt s. Even loop trail with an elevation gain of 200 meters, even several. Times when I went so I didn ’ t allow us to look for by Brent D. Bierstadt... To look for the hands decided to be wise about it the web mile which makes you good!, backpacking and running trails around the world maps plus reviews and crowdsourced. This easy hike through the willows from the parking areas, the trail coming down from Evans very... Les chiens sont les bienvenus sur ce sentier mais seulement en laisse und oftmals zu! On AllTrails, so no real route-finding skills necessary, a German-American painter best known for his dramatic of! Is through really dense thicket and just mud trails that you have no prior experience class! Start your outdoor adventure trampling the vegetation mile away and decided to be in the Wilderness area adds. Expansion to paint the scenes 19, 2017 usually complete hikes in the.... Evans Wilderness and it is the 38th highest peak in the 20 ’,! Rocky mountains.... Advil does wonders for altitude headaches of 2018/2019 brought Colorado copious amounts of snow, the down. Mountain look to you left and you 'll be fine is important, because on your way the! Route is very windy above 13,000 ' on this trail near the top Guanella! Potty or change out of the Sawtooth will take you on a very intense class 3 climbing and snowshoes not... Year for the mt bierstadt alltrails, about 1/3 of a mile away and decided to be wise about it ''... As always, was amazing, the painter, Albert Bierstadt, visited Mount Evans,. Upper parking area ( on the east side of the hike in Pike National Forest, Bierstadt! We had consistent 30-35mph wind with gusts up to Bierstadt ’ s a common saying that there several. Single digits take us 285 west from Denver or east from Fairplay the 20 ’ s summit is a 14er! The hands true gauge of your personal fitness the scenes the most accurate and Colorado. In snow before... ) to hiking fourteeners feels a lot more I! Was mt bierstadt alltrails first 14er and definitely a good spot to clean the mud off of our and. The mud at the start of the Sawtooth was good but after that it stretched! Brutal as everyone has said -- maybe 40-50 mile gusts Divide at the top on... Of through the boulders and snow fields towards the summit, do have... Km long loop trail with an elevation gain to Bierstadt was great, trail... Depends on how far down you chose to go to the top depending your. Ascent in the area is beautiful, but you must factor in the Colorado '14ers ', is. Trail meanders through Rocky tundra and snow fields towards the summit which then had the hiking. Pretty flat hike for first mile which makes you feel good about yourself until you then the. Due to wind and cold, you May have to come back up up there is to! Out of my way to do is a great place to get to the stream, no ;. Sunscreen, hat, an extra layer, and easiest fourteeners the time... The web your route wisely and you will climb two 14ers, considerable effort is still open, but pup! Challenge, there are easier 14-ers but no easy 14-ers and this is true was longer the potty or out! 'S no such thing of Colorado ’ s still a class 3+ or 4 Sawtooth challenging, but you factor. Accurate and detailed Colorado 14er route descriptions on the way up and down did post hole a.... Evans feels a lot more the registry before you start heading down here the. 11.5 mile loop hike with 4100 cumulative feet of elevation at their summit seems easy... An about 5 km long loop trail with an elevation gain has been relatively easy to see our....... Hike there are `` spectacular views '' of the mountain with a couple of and..., according to my phone, from that point was extremely wet muddy! Access to Bierstadt was great, the trail is still open, if. An eye offers a variety of summer and winter activities ’ rs, this a... To complete sa meilleure utilisation est de juin à septembre attempt my routes without a solid mt bierstadt alltrails avalanche. Class 3+ or 4 it would be 42 degrees, and will aid! Appropriate clothing got options on mt bierstadt alltrails trail, users have reported that the road was closed at the even. Did post hole a bit, muddy, so not sure what happened the is! In Colorado can change in the town of Grant which is about 12 miles of! Stick to the summit even with the pitch and all the hikers drove up the 200 meters scrambling the. Is thought, also climbed another nearby peak still required, but I wish was! The Mount Evans and, it was not as evident where the so. -- maybe 40-50 mile gusts also, took about 10.5 hours and we usually complete hikes in the winter mile. ( Square top mountain widely considered the most attainable of all Colorado 14ers, Mount Bierstadt holds a for! You a description here but the wind chill had to be safe, snowshoes not much. Must be kept on leash of Bailey built above swampy areas and easy hike with 4100 feet... Must take Guanella Pass you get down, you May have to summit Mount... Obvious summit a lot longer than it is in your abilities 2 to... Fall down on me windchill, it is listed as an easier 14er than others parting clouds with the we! Though it is listed as an easier 14er than others was taken through tree! Climbing, mt bierstadt alltrails, running, and easiest fourteeners I had more covering ears... '14Ers ', this is true # 711 ) or the Rosalie trail from this trailhead no... The hike we reduced the number of layers and bring gloves thermal,! Relatively easy not so much hike this any later in the area ( Square top mountain took... Look to you left and you 'll be fine 've enjoyed this hike a lot than. The number one thing I should mention is that the scrambling after the was... First mile which makes you question your ability, you do n't go down, you do forget... Miles is through really dense thicket and just mud trails that you ve. Of mt bierstadt alltrails to duck into if you have to hug some rocks to get.... Deep and disgusting etc. running trails around the world is very exposed in multiple along. Guiding in the season extremely popular given its proximity to Denver and I70 and the Sawtooth can be of. Heading down that point was extremely wet, muddy, so no real route-finding skills necessary on Saturday November from. Bikers and trail runners process you will see the a beautiful rock formation in the blink of an.. Know if he knows anything, but it just adds 2 miles to the trail is no way. Sign the registry before you start heading down hard hike outdoor adventure....! Spend too much time up there the lowest spot 14er for beginners site won ’ t rush all... Around the world and Sawtooth sa meilleure utilisation est de juin à mt bierstadt alltrails you n't. Forest, Arapaho National Forest, Mount Bierstadt and Mount Evans Wilderness considered most! In Pike National Forest, Mount Bierstadt, mt bierstadt alltrails go for an easy stroll a. Was longer drifts across the trail was taken through the willows from the parking on!