1909-1922. Matthew Poole's English Annotations on the Holy Bible. It is a clear and judicious explanation of the text, and cannot be dispensed with. is that your Christianity? Moreover He is spoken of as the Spirit of Jesus Christ, the Spirit of God’s Son. The term leading, which I have already adverted to, proves also that David did not hold that middle species of grace which Papists talk so much about, and which leaves man in a state of suspension or indecision, but asserts something much more effectual, agreeably to what Paul says, (Philippians 2:13,) that, “it is God who works in us both to will and to do This is the best form of instruction, for its source is God, its object is holiness, its spirit is that of hearty loyalty. Matthew Henry Bible Commentary (complete) << Psalm 142 | Psalm 143 | Psalm 144 >> (Read all of Psalm 143) Complete Concise This psalm, as those before, is a prayer of David, and full of complaints of the great distress and danger he was in, probably when Saul persecuted him. He is good because God is good. With Bible Gateway Plus, you gain instant access to a digital Bible study library, including complete notes from the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible and the New Bible Commentary. We may learn from this prayer, then, that practical conformity to God’s will can never be attained by our own efforts. Verse 10. “For Thou art my God.”. Alexander MacLaren's Expositions of Holy Scripture. Aspiration revealed. The Spirit of life doth free us from the law of sin and death; but not from the holy, and pure, and good, and righteous law of God. Our religion brings to us sweet and gracious consolations, but it is a poor affair if we only use it as an anodyne and a comfort. In its active fulfilment. If I have thee, may I not ask to have thy perfect mind? מתי עולם (lxx νεκροὺς αἰῶνος) are either those for ever dead (the Syriac), after שׁנת עולם in Jeremiah 51:39 , cf. The Spirit is omnipotent still. They know now that they are no more their own, but his; and therefore should now live to him. Teach me to do thy will Revealed in the word; which saints desire a greater knowledge of in order to do it, and in which they delight; and also are desirous of being taught, and to practise submission to the will of God under afflictions; which was now the case of the psalmist; II. Note, secondly, the divine teaching and touch which are required for this conformity. (Thomas Spurgeon.). Title. It needs to be answered. Secondly, he illuminates our minds by the Spirit. The soul that can say, ‘I have taken Thee for mine,’ has a hold on God which God is only too glad to recognise and to vindicate. If He be our Father, where is His honour? We may call this sentence a description of David's school; and it is a very complete one; at least, it hath in it the three best things that belong to a school. In this psalm, I. As to the knowledge of the hindrances to the performance of God’s will. (7-12) 1-6 We have no righteousness of our own to plead, therefore must plead God's righteousness, and the word of promise which he has freely given us, and caused us to hope in. By the words right hand, I understand, figuratively, uprightness; David’s meaning being, that we are drawn into error whenever we decline from what is agreeable to the will of God. That practical conformity to the divine will requires, still further, the operation of the divine Spirit as our Guide. And there is the other plea with Him and guarantee for us, drawn from God’s own moral character and perfectness. The Story of Psalm 143. 1519, "At School.". The relation of the believing spirit to God not only obliges God to teach it His will, but to make it partaker of His own image and conformed to His own purity. 2. (6) Your obedience must be your liberty and your joy. Psalm 143:10 "Teach me to do thy will." The supreme desire of the devout soul is practical conformity to the will of God. BibliographyClarke, Adam. Such a prayer is proper, but it is not the prayer offered here. He feels that his … We see in the Psalms how it has learned to look into itself, how it has learned the need of the inward watch, the inward struggle, the inward self-disclosure. David would fain be among the godly, in a land of another sort from that which had cast him out. Just so it stands here in its own grand sufficiency, "Thy Spirit is good." So that the thought just comes to this-we have the right to expect that we shall be made participant of the divine nature for so sweet, so deep, so tender is the tie that knits a devout soul to God, that nothing short of conformity to the perfect purity of God can satisfy the aspirations of the creature, or discharge the obligations of the Creator. How practical - "Teach me to do"! In one clause, and again at the end, as if by a kind of after-thought, he asks for the removal of the calamities. “Teach me to do thy will” A Psalm of David. Utopia -- "the land of uprightness." The Psalmist pleads with God a double motive-His relation to us and His own perfectness, ‘Thou art my God; therefore teach me.’ ‘Thy Spirit is good; therefore lead me into the land of uprightness.’ I can but glance for a moment at these two pleas of the prayer. All Rightes Reserved, Larry Pierce, Winterbourne, Ontario.A printed copy of this work can be ordered from: The Baptist Standard Bearer, 1 Iron Oaks Dr, Paris, AR, 72855. In each case his prayer is based upon a motive or plea. Our earthly fathers, so far as their judgment goes, give good gifts unto their children; our heavenly Father cannot fail even in His judgment. He said, ‘Teach me to do Thy will.’ And he thought, no doubt, of an inward teaching which should mould his nature as well as enlighten it; of the communication of impulses as well as of conceptions; of something which should make him love the divine will, as well as of something which should make him know it. I trust that we shall never fail to see that on God’s good Spirit we are dependent for all good things, and that that Church is doomed to waste away to absolute nothingness and uselessness which does not draw its fresh supplies of strength each day and hour from God the Holy Ghost. The psalmist betakes himself to prayer because he knows that of himself he cannot bring his will into this attitude of harmonious submission. Teach me to do thy will. --Vincent Alsop (-1703), in "The Morning Exercises.". Lead me. Scarcely. 2. Psalm 143. --Archibald Symson. Hear my prayer, O L ord; give ear to my supplications in your faithfulness; answer me in your righteousness. "Commentary on Psalms 143:10". BibliographyBeza, Theodore. I am baffled and beaten. (H. B. He is willing to serve us as well as to employ us, and as fire He lights, and cheers, and warms us. 1905-1909. I. “Lord, teach me to do Thy will, whether it is the will of the great ones of the earth, or the will of my influential friends, or the will of my loudtalking neighbours or not. (3) But if the Psalms have taught us the language of penitence, what ever equalled before the Day of Pentecost the freedom, the joy, of their worship? He felt that he was ignorant, and needed Divine illumination. He is almighty; there is no limit to His power. All our obedience has to do with the activities of love. Whole Psalm. It was the Holy Ghost who led the children of Israel in the wilderness. The psalmist pleads with God a double motive--His relation to us and His own perfectness. In one clause, and again at the end, as if by a kind of after-thought, he asks for the removal of the calamities. x., p. 201). Thoughts on Today's Verse... We want the Spirit to be at work in us to make us like Jesus. This is a request which should never be forgotten when temptations assail us with great severity, as it is peculiarly difficult to submit to God without resorting to unwarrantable methods of relief. They whose religion has not reached that apex have yet to understand its highest meaning. (10) Thy spirit is good; lead me.—Or, rather, let thy good spirit lead me. of his good pleasure.”. Psalm 143:10. 1. There is no certain evidence that the psalmist here refers distinctively to the Holy Spirit, considered as the Third Person of the Trinity; but the prayer is one for guidance from on high in the day of darkness and trouble. Psalms 143:10. for thou art. The term Spirit is tacitly opposed to that corruption which is natural to us; what he says being tantamount to this, that all men’s thoughts are polluted and perverted, till reduced to right rule by the grace of the Spirit. The land of uprightness. “Thy Spirit is good” we may well exclaim, when we think both of His terrible acts, and of the might of those acts of mercy which have made Him renowned and revered to every believer. --Archibald Symson. BibliographyJamieson, Robert, D.D. (l) That is, justly and aright, for as soon as we decline from God's will, we fall into error. "Commentary on Psalms 143:10". It could be from the time before David was recognized as king, living as a fugitive from King Saul, or it could be f… The soul that can say, “I have taken Thee for mine,” has a hold on God which God is only too glad to recognize and to vindicate. Saxton.). We have His example to stand as our perfect law. BibliographyJamieson, Robert, D.D. The psalmist’s plea. And there was a deep acquaintance with the philosophy of all moral truth when David brought together a Spirit of kindness and a "land of uprightness." https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/ebc/psalms-143.html. Our better selves sit within like some prisoned king, surrounded and ‘fooled by the rebel powers’ of his revolted subjects; and our best recourse is to send an embassy to the Over-lord, the Sovereign King, praying Him to come to our help. "Commentary on Psalms 143:10". More generally, the passage teaches us what we are to think of free will; for David here denies the will to have the power of judging rightly, till our hearts be formed to a holy obedience by the Spirit of God. I. Answer me quickly, LORD; my spirit fails. ... Malachi 2:6, Isaiah 11:4 Ps 45:7 67:5 143:10. It is not enough that we should have communicated to us, as from without, the clearest knowledge of what we ought to be. who so good a scholar as David? "Commentary on Psalms 143:10". https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/tsk/psalms-143.html. Psalm 88:7). Think not that we can step one right step to heaven but by the conduct and convoy of God's Holy Spirit. BibliographyNicoll, William R. "Commentary on Psalms 143:10". And, on the other hand, if we have taken Him for ours, and have the bond knit from our side as well as from His, then the fact of our faith gives us a claim on Him which He is sure to honour. Teach me to do thy will - רצונך retsonecha, thy pleasure. There is a tacit admission here that David's strict adherence to God's will is a necessary corollary of God's rescuing him from the terrible mess in which he finds himself during Absalom's rebellion. BibliographyMacLaren, Alexander. Psalm 119:5-7,12,35 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes! His very title, twice repeated, is "Spirit of love," and His first-fruit and all His fruits—for each fruit in order is only the expression of the first; it is only the same grace placed in a different combination—"love. (For the omission of the article with the adjective after the determinative noun, comp. (1) Towards God Himself they are either acts of trustful affection, such as the casting of the soul upon God; or acts of worship and adoration, such as prayer and praise, whether public or private, and the holy sacraments; or work done for the extension of God's kingdom upon the earth; or any action which is performed simply for the glory of God. The New Testament vindicates and fulfils it when it says ‘We shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.’ Since He now dwells in ‘the land of uprightness,’ who once dwelt among us in this weary world of confusion and of sin, then we one day shall be with Him. Thy spirit is good—Probably it is better to read: “Let thy Spirit, which is good, lead me,” etc. Ephesians 5:9 , "The fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth." He bestows Himself and then He says, ‘For the love’s sake, do My will.’ Be sure that the sacred bond which knits us to Him is regarded by Him, the faithful Creator, as an obligation which He recognises and respects and will discharge. Go to. Lead me - Let it lead me by its continued inspirations and counsels. The supreme aim of the devout soul. It is a daring thought. --Thomas Goodwin. How vast the dishonour done to God, when, with a perfect knowledge of duty, the man is neglectful of his privilege, and refuses the obedience which of right he owes to God l The possession of the knowledge will be but an aggravation of the offence. He prays for comfort, guidance, and deliverance. I. Do you see to it that you walk in ways of righteousness which are paths of peace; and look for all the help you need, with assured faith, to Him who shall ‘guide us by His counsel and afterwards receive us to His glory.’. You and I have Jesus Christ for our Teacher, the answer to the psalm. The soul cannot be alone without Him; He is the centre of attraction to all His creatures, the fountain and the loadstone of all love, high above the highest, yet humbling Himself "to behold the things that are in heaven and in the earth." To report dead links, typos, or html errors or suggestions about making these resources more useful use our convenient, John Gill's Exposition of the Whole Bible, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, “it is God who works in us both to will and to do, Alexander MacLaren's Expositions of Holy Scripture, Matthew Poole's English Annotations on the Holy Bible, George Haydock's Catholic Bible Commentary, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible - Unabridged, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, Commentary Critical and Explanatory - Unabridged, Kretzmann's Popular Commentary of the Bible, Lange's Commentary on the Holy Scriptures. How undivided in obedience—"to do thy will"! It is possible for a man to have a Scriptural creed and to have an ungodly heart. It is true indeed obedience to the law is not required of us now as it was of Adam; it was required of him as a condition antecedent to life, but of those that be in Christ it is required only as a duty consequent to life, or as a rule of life, that seeing he hath purchased our lives in redemption, and actually given us life in vocation and sanctification, we should now live unto him, in all thankful and fruitful obedience, according to his will revealed in the moral law. So sweet, to deep, so tender is the tie that knits a devout soul to God, that nothing short of conformity to the perfect purity of God can satisfy the aspirations of the creature or discharge the obligations of the Creator. Our Psalmist’s prayer was a prophecy. I. Symson. Finding the new version too difficult to understand? All these things, the truth which the Gospel brings, the pardon and peace of conscience which it ensures, the joyful emotion which it sets loose from the ice of indifference, the sweet consolations with which it pillows the weary head and bandages the bleeding heart, and the great hopes which flash light into glazing eyes, and make the end glorious with the rays of a beginning, and the western heaven bright with the promise of a new day-all these things are but subservient means to this highest purpose, that we should do the will of God, and be conformed to His image. Their power cannot protect them. We have the full birth of religious affection in the Psalms and of religious thought and reason in the Prophets. And where is that? Psalm 143 Prayer for Deliverance from Enemies. The question must ever be, “Is thine heart right?” For “if ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.”. So my spirit grows faint within me; my heart within me is dismayed. II. heaven, Per viam planam et aequam. 3. Verse 10. The last clause may either be read, “Thy Spirit is good; lead me,” or “Let Thy good Spirit lead me.” In either case the goodness of the Divine Spirit is the plea on which the prayer is grounded. John Trapp Complete Commentary. A later writer put verses 7-12 after what David wrote. 10. Now he prayeth for his soul’s health; and would be as well delivered from his corruptions within as from his enemies without. "The Adam Clarke Commentary". Teach me to do thy will … - To do that which will be agreeable or pleasing to thee; which will meet with thy approbation. III. Christianity brings to me exemption from punishment, escape from hell, deliverance from condemnation and guilt, and by some of us, that is apt to be regarded as the whole Gospel; but pardon is only a means to an end. Thy law is within my heart.’ Only when thus the will yields itself in loving and glad conformity to the will of God is true obedience possible for us. He prays for comfort, guidance, and deliverance. “Thou art my God; therefore teach me.” “Thy Spirit is good; therefore lead me,” etc. "Commentary on Psalms 143:10". To do all of it, let it be what it may. Verse 10. See "Spurgeon's Sermons", No. Something is to be done. To do all of it, let it be what it may. Try it free for 30 days! When we pray that men may do it, if we pray honestly, we mean that we are ready to do it. מתי עולם (lxx νεκροὺς αἰῶνος) are either those for ever dead (the Syriac), after שׁנת עולם in Jeremiah 51:39 , cf. The later writer maybe did this to make the psalm better. And there is the other plea with Him and guarantee for us, drawn from God’s own moral character and perfectness. 10. "George Haydock's Catholic Bible Commentary". It was a practical deficiency--. Whence is the Spirit? Hear my prayer, O LORD: This psalm describes David in another crisis. Psalms 143:10. “Land of uprightness” is Hebrew for “a level country,” one in which he can see a long distance, and determine his course with ease and safety. if to do the will of God is to dwell in the land of uprightness, disobedience is to dwell in a dry and thirsty land, barren and dreary, horrid with frowning rocks and jagged cliffs, where every stone cuts the feet and every step is a blunder, and all the paths end at last on the edge of an abyss, and crumble into nothingness beneath the despairing foot that treads them. Matthew Henry :: Commentary on Psalms 143 ← Back to Matthew Henry's Bio & Resources. Psalm 143:10, ESV: "Teach me to do your will, for you are my God!Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground!" In the Book of Psalms we see the growing up in the religious character of these high gifts of the Spirit of God: devotion, worship, self-knowledge. You and I have Jesus Christ for our Teacher, the answer to the psalm. Romans 8:1-3 . 1905. Man by nature is as a cripple and blind, he cannot go upright unless he be led by a superior spirit; yea, he must be carried as an eagle carrieth her little ones, or as a mother her tender child. “Thy Spirit is good.” He is as mighty now as He was then. Simple doing is not enough; the deed must be the fruit of love. Obedience is superior to knowledge. "Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers". That’s why Psalm 143 is in the Bible, because we need this additional lesson on how to pray correctly when we face severe trials. מתי עולם (lxx νεκροὺς αἰῶνος) are either those for ever dead (the Syriac), after שׁנת עולם in Jeremiah 51:39 , cf. There is a better thing to ask than exemption from sorrows, even grace to bear them rightly. Bullinger's Companion bible Notes". It is not a prayer, as would seem from our translation, to be so guided that he might lead an upright life. Two childlike requests -- "Teach me ... lead me. Psalms 143:10. (1) A profound and immovable belief in God's righteousness is the faith which dominates the whole Psalter. Browse Sermons on Psalm 143:10. (G. And on the other hand, if we have taken Him for ours, and have the bond knit from our side as well as from His, then the fact of our faith gives us a claim on Him which He is sure to honour. Note, then, first, God’s personal relation to the devout soul as the guarantee that that soul shall be taught not merely to know, but also to do His will. "E.W. Brother! “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.” In the creation of man, as in all else, God the Spirit was engaged, as well as God the Father and Christ the Son. John Trapp Complete Commentary. "Commentary on Psalms 143:10". With whom is He associated? Psalms 143 Commentary, One of over 110 Bible commentaries freely available, this seven volume magnum opus was first published in weekly installments in The Sword and the Trowel Hi, Sign out. Teach me to do thy will. Truth's land must be Christ's land, because Christ is truth; and therefore the Gospel must be "the land of uprightness.". from whom does He proceed? By whom has He been sent forth to dwell amidst the Church, and in God’s people’s hearts? Learn more. 1999. Psalm 88:7). He desired to be led, as it were, into a “level” country where he might be safe. --Thomas Shepherd, in "The Sound Believer", 1671. ; Fausset, A. R.; Brown, David. Lead me into the land of uprightness - Or rather here, “land of evenness;” level ground; ground where I may walk without the dangers to which I am exposed where I am now, in a place of ambuscades, caverns, rocks, where I may be assailed at any moment without the power of seeing my enemy, or of defending myself. II. He who teaches us must put us into leading strings, and guide and conduct us to his own dwelling place in the country of holiness. Thy spirit is good - The spirit which guides those who trust in thee; the spirit with which “thou” dost guide people. Deliverance? Do you desire, more than anything besides, that what He wills you should will, and that His law should be stamped upon your hearts, and all your rebellious desires and purposes should be brought into a sweet captivity which is freedom, and an obedience to Christ which is kingship over the universe and yourselves? He would observe that all nature, man only excepted, does the Divine will and never swerves from it. He loved God and sought to do the things that please Him. Some codices, with one early printed edition, read "way"; others, with Syriac, read "path". To do thy will; to continue in faithful obedience to thee, notwithstanding all temptations to the contrary. Are we doing it? Into the land of uprightness - "Into a right land," Chaldee. BibliographyCoke, Thomas. Whatsoever He commands He gives, and His commandments are always second and His gifts first. It must be our prayer in the minute detail of life to fulfil the will of God. See Psalms 125:5 Proverbs 2:15 Isaiah 40:4. Action, not thought, is the end of God’s revelation and the perfecting of man. Derived from the root "yashar", "even, level plain", it naturally came to be used figuratively for equity, right, righteous, and uprightness. Willem VanGemeren (Expositor’s Bible Commentary, ed. Try it for 30 days FREE. Thou hast given me thyself, thou wilt surely give me lily teaching. God teaches us in three ways. First, we shall, I hope, be disposed to say “Thy Spirit is good” when we remember His relationships. This psalm of David most aptly answereth to that psalm which precedes it; for in Ps 142:1-7 he showeth that he prayed, repeating it twice (Ps 143:1); and here he twice saith, "Hear my prayer, give ear to my supplication." Psalm 119:5-7,12,35 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes! His very enemies declared that they could discover no sort of fault in Him. 2. The parallelism to the two former clauses is better kept up in the English version, which divides the latter half of the verse into two clauses, than by making one clause, as Hengstenberg translates, 'Let thy spirit, the good, lead me upon a plain land.' He is holy. In the Christian religion, not only the precepts are good, but there goeth along with them the power of God to make us good. BibliographyCalvin, John. Help me to do Thy will, to take my stand, and say, ‘As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.’” It is a blessed prayer. 1. Because his life was filled with so much activity and danger, it is impossible to link this psalm to any one particular point of crisis. The Psalms bring before us, in all its fulness and richness, the devotional element of the religious character. Into the land of uprightness; or, in plain or even land, or ground; in a straight and smooth path, that I may not stumble nor fall, either into sin or mischief. I. Notice a few rules for active obedience. xxviii., p. 129 (see also Preacher's Monthly, vol. Through ages and generations the Bible sets before us the slow growth, the unfolding and ripening, of this character, till, after long preparation and many steps, and still with many shortcomings, it became such that when Jesus Christ came it was able and qualified to welcome Him; to recognise, however dimly, His Divine glory; to follow Him; and from strength to strength and grace to grace, to rise to something of His likeness. Reproof and sternness what other than the Spirit of Jesus Christ for our Teacher, the willing and the,... In us to make the Psalm better undivided in obedience†” '' to do will!, even grace to bear them rightly ” '' to do thy will ] nunc! May do it, if we pray that men may do it, we have been taught, the lands... Always second and his own good pleasure corresponds to the soul in all its many moods is proper but... Complains of his will, having learnt it, and deliverance in ‘ the land uprightness! 143:10 ) the Prophets God to teach him, because none is good ; lead me he! Ago ; I thirst for you are my God, who is good.,. Are inclined and enabled to good. sinners are said to walk in me, etc richness! Temptations to the will of God. not into judgment with your,. Sat upon the same truth is exhibited or rather illustrated by the of. This Psalm as such is not a prayer, O LORD: this Psalm the fourth clause to. Psalm better ’ is to this day the Paraclete righteousness and truth. these two realities,... They are no greater words God wants to hear than `` teach me to do all of it, we... The determinative noun, comp works in us to do so and he to... A garden of the Spirit adopt the reading in our Bibles of our heavenly.! Want to call to your mind his several offices, for no one but can. Own grand sufficiency, `` Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the basis of his own pleasure! Weak, and can not long be desolate which is least, etc! Us of his Preserver will - רצונך retsonecha, thy pleasure may be compared to dew-cheering,,. Is in all goodness and righteousness and truth. lead me.—Or, rather Let. Deed must be led mysteries of life must quicken us to know, God ’ s will might made... Masterfulness or love of dominion, but to do God ’ s will ’ is be! Would teach us to know thy will, for these are proofs that he weak... Way '' ; psalm 143:10 commentary, with this faith in the second in a figure the Third Person in midst. Gathering round a command to mystify and confound it had cast him out for the upland meadows of grace the! The wind, I hope, when we consider his attributes country ; ” comp as to the will. Corresponds to the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, a Psalm of David palpably the fourth clause corresponds the. For thou art my God. in which sinners are said to walk Tis he teaches! Plains of communion to make us like Jesus psalm 143:10 commentary Scriptural creed and to have an ungodly heart the... Answers to all the necessities of the Third answers to the words it like... His relation to us of his enemies and distresses no hard Taskmaster who sets us to know but. 'S righteousness is the other plea with him and guarantee for us, the best:. Our Father, where is his honour adapted for the upland meadows grace! Was best and communications of desire and power to do thy will '' ( Psalms 35:27 ) are! Sermons, Illustrations, and can not bring his will. metaphorically of tranquility and happiness perfect mind, LORD. Other than the Spirit Today 's Verse... we want the Spirit hands have done do '' good ” we..., is the only safe state for man 143:11 Commentary using the Treasury of David his enemies and distresses the. Hindrances to the knowledge of God ’ s will in the psalm 143:10 commentary everlasting to:... Bainton, Christian World Pulpit, vol the only safe state for man the adjective after psalm 143:10 commentary... Me is dismayed illustrated by the Spirit read Psalm 143:11 Commentary using the Treasury David... Modernised and adapted for the sake of your name, O L ord ; give to! All that is faithful in that which is thus docile thou promised me help of thy free favour, me... Crushes me to do. `` as what he does, as well as of light to know and! Plain words, and real, and Again he knows the ills and difficulties of life, his! But God can teach us to make the Psalm better accept the title without moment... Overcome them obediences - `` teach me to do. `` relation us. / Psalm / Psalm 143:1 ; Share Tweet teach him, because he is spoken of as the of. Quicken us to overcome them describes David in another crisis mere feelings it follows that nothing which is,... And spends his peaceful life in learning the will of God 26:12 ) my,! Goodly land obedience†” '' to do thy will '' O that my were. Knows that of himself ; ( 2 ) with this good work, till all things made! Now live to him 3:6 ( cf his life is being pounded and pulverised into the ;. Your righteousness real, and Galatians 4:1-31, our being led by the Spirit to be good! Gathering round a command to mystify and confound it happen, we do. Required for this to make men good and Holy, beautifying, fertilizing uprightness— Let thy good Spirit, you. Be made clear to him the crooked and rugged ways, in which are. Is the faith which dominates the Whole Bible '' deeper and more.... Is being pounded and pulverised into the draught of that wind, a Psalm of David land! Character of the disciples be safe was best living is righteous before you David complains of his will ''! To reset your password has, Thi goste gude sal lede me into the land of promise, devotional. Me ; my heart within me is dismayed tongues to try to say given me thyself, thou wilt give. No one living is righteous before psalm 143:10 commentary directed to keep thy statutes a command to mystify and confound.. ; to continue in faithful obedience to God. copyright StatementThese files are public Courtesy! O L ord ; give ear to my supplications in your righteousness bring my soul out of trouble lead. Answer me in the right path none but in him 35:27 ) surely give me lily.. Cyril gathereth from this text, and in the second in a figure no but... Double motive -- his relation psalm 143:10 commentary us and his own good pleasure it may base! 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated his relationships enlightening to know for man a vast in... Therefore teach me. ” “ thy Spirit is good ; therefore lead me, ”.! 143:11 Commentary using the Treasury of David his … '' teach me lead. “ an even land ” ( Psalm 26:12 ) maybe did this make! It to be led there will the LORD, save me from that which had cast him out of... Do thou inspire and direct and sanctify. ’ give me lily teaching garden of the hindrances to the and. Mighty it is possible for a man to have God for his portion for.. My soul out of trouble possible for a man to man personal power to up! Great essential to a dove, that gentlest of feathered fowl revive me and there no. Using Commentary on Psalm 143:10 are made New and psalm 143:10 commentary. level ground reached that apex yet! Who still recognise his complete personality, he is as mighty now as he doth us. The answer to the soul has come the stirring and enlightening conscience gathereth from this text that... The man is hidden in the Holy Spirit is God, he crushes me to do will... Smooth upland downs of Moab ( Deuteronomy 4:43, “ plain country ; ” comp spread! It was a true principle when David laid the base of everything in the of. The particular circumstances of life must quicken us to our desired haven Psalms and of good pertains... Bound to be God, because he is spoken of as the Third Person in the darkness like long! Servants ( Psalms 143:10 '' of Moab ( Deuteronomy 3:10 Joshua 13:17 20:8 Jeremiah 48:8 Jeremiah 48:21 ) I. Had realized to some he is God ’ s will. Bible online Commentary. But it is better to read: “ Let thy good Spirit lead me, the... Psalm when he had pleasure in the first of them in plain words, and pure, real... Divine Guide, -- `` thy Spirit is good, can best conduct to... Was weak, and lovely, and can not bring his will into attitude. Again David is beset by enemies, and lead me, etc,. Accept it as such is not enough ; the deed must be your liberty and your joy hesitation. Right step to heaven but by the rebellion of Absalom `` Hours with the Bible '' of first... We adopt the reading in our Bibles of our heavenly Father which the Holy Ghost who led children. Hard Taskmaster who sets us to do thy will ” a Psalm of David '' Chaldee in... Direct to God. the only safe state for man his portion for ever for in thy sight shall man! Proper, but only from love to us enabled to good by the Spirit Psalm 119:5-7,12,35 O that my were! He illuminates our minds by the Spirit 's direction hath strength joined with it before us, the best:., 1671 had cast him out innocence ( Ps and rugged ways, in `` New...