The people had suddenly, and beyond expectation, submitted to him; and so surprising a change was eminently God's work. Proud member It suggests. How does he train us for war? The battle cannot be fought and won by flesh and blood alone.Â. 1. they are the object of YHWH's special care (cf. The Book of Psalms is the third section of the Hebrew Bible, and a book of the Christian Old Testament. The tense of the verb only is varied. 8:4) because … Serwis dla słuchowców, tworzony z pasją, na którym nauczysz się języka angielskiego online inaczej niż w szkole. Verse 2. (1-8) He prays for the prosperity of his kingdom. My goodness, and my fortress. He's walking you through an exercise in learning.Â. What Does the Bible Say About the Right to Bear Arms? All round as a king he saw himself to be surrounded by the King of kings, to whom he bowed in lowly homage, doing suit and service on bent knee, with grateful heart admitting that he owed everything to the Rock of his salvation. Rear Guard – Isaiah 58:8 12. During the defense of the French village of Ramelle, Private Jackson quoted the first two verses of Psalm 144 while firing on German soldiers from his position in the village's bell tower. My shield - The same word which in Psalm 18:2 is rendered “buckler.” See the notes at that passage. When we use it properly and wear it daily, it provides solid protection against the enemy's onslaught. ", Safety enlarged into liberty: "tower", "deliverer. Let God train your hands for war and you'll be supernaturally equipped with the only firepower needed against Satan's attacks. Study the bible online using commentary on Psalm 144:2 and more! --C.H.S. 3 LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! View God as working all. David begins by blessing his God for equipping him for battle, and ends by calling attention to the blessings on the people who serve the LORD God. It was often made of metal, but still was portable, and useful, and was made to serve as an ornament, being brightened or anointed with oil. Psalms 144:1. God promises to subdue our enemies. A Psalm of David.. The psalmist returns to his original theme of the praise of God (see Psalms 144:1, Psalms 144:2), and promises a "new song," as in Psalms 40:3. Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. An incentive, enough to set others longing. He is goodness itself, and he has been unbounded goodness to us. Verse 2. Psalm 144:1-2 Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle—My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, My shield and the One in whom I take refuge, Who subdues my people under me. It makes it. The right hand has to do with the spiritual blessings and is the hand of preferential treatment. Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. For every particle of influence for good which we may possess let us magnify the name of the Lord. The tense of the verb only is varied. How many times he has appropriated the Lord by that little word My! My goodness and my fortress] See Psalms 18:1, with the notes, His epithetis et elogiis eblanditur Deum, saith an interpreter (Genebr.).. ; My mercy and my fortress, my lofty tower and my deliverer, my shield and he with whom I take refuge, who subdues the peoples under me I Psalms … Thus has David blessed Jehovah for blessing him. --James Wareing Bardsley, in "Glimpses through the Veil", 1883. My high tower. "I cried unto thee, O LORD: I said, Thou [art] my refuge [and] my portion in the land of the living." Such towers were erected on mountains, on rocks, or on the walls of a city, and were regarded as safe places mainly because they were inaccessible. Probably this Psalm was written after the crushing out of the great revolt under Absalom, and well might David ascribe to the divine hand his deliverance from that trial. "Goodness." The word translated "fortress" is metzuriah or masada. So the old castles in Europe, -- as that at Heidelberg, and generally those along the Rhine, -- were built on lofty places, and in such positions as not to be easily accessible. He is my steadfast love and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield and he in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me. Footnotes: Psalm 144:2 Many manuscripts of the Masoretic Text, Dead Sea Scrolls, Aquila, Jerome and Syriac; most manuscripts of the Masoretic Text subdues my people Psalms 18:2 (and in this place). Fortress – Psalm 31:3 8. A Psalm of David.>> Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: 144:1-8 When men become eminent for things as to which they have had few advantages, they should be more deeply sensible that God has been their Teacher. or the son of man, that thou makest account of him! Nor is this all; for Jehovah is our Deliverer as well as our Defender. He began by acknowledging that his strength for fighting foreign enemies was of the Lord, and he concluded by ascribing his domestic peace to the same source. These different figures set forth the varied benefits which come to us from our Lord. He not only places us out of harm's way full often, but when we must be exposed, he comes to our rescue, he raises the siege, routs the foe, and sets us in joyous liberty. 144:2 Lessons From Psalm 23: The Lord Is My Shepherd, A Prayer and Bible Verses to Help With Temptation, David and Goliath Bible Story Study Guide, God's Good Promise of the Day - 1 Kings 8:56, 25 Bible Verses for Funerals and Sympathy Cards, Israel Tour Pictures: Photo Journal of the Holy Land, General Biblical Studies, Interdenominational Christian Training Center. For this and a thousand other reasons our trust rests in our God for everything; he never fails us, and we feel boundless confidence in him. (5) In Ps. What peculiar force the word "my" gives to each. Psalm 144:1-2Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle—My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, My shield and the One in whom I take refuge, Who subdues my people under me. Blessed be jehovah my rock, who teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. … Shield – Psalm 91:4 9. (9-15) Verses 1-8 When men become eminent for things as to which they have had few advantages, they should be more deeply sensible that God has been their Teacher. It's easy to feel vulnerable and exposed at these time. ... meaning that whatever good he possessed flowed from him. 144:2 My lovingkindness, my fortress, My high tower, my deliverer, My shield, and he in whom I take refuge; Who subdues my people under me. Psalm 144 is the 144th psalm of the Book of Psalms, beginning in English in the King James Version "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight". David had made abundant use of the Lord, his God, from day to day, in battles many and murderous. He is every good thing which we can need for this world or the next. Which comes last: "He in whom I trust." … David, accordingly, having ascribed the victories he had gained over foreign enemies to God, thanks him at the same time for the settled state of the kingdom. Blessed be the Lord, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle; (144:1). And he in whom I trust - The same idea as in Psalm 18:2. 12 Powerful Names of Our God and Savior 1. PSALMS 144 Other translations - previous - next - meaning - Psalms - BM Home - Full Page PSALM 144. Psalms 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and [he] in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.. Ver. He is our high tower, our deliverer, our shield, and our refuge. Moreover, the Lord had taught him how to fight and protected him. Each time he grasps the Lord, he adores and blesses him; for the one word Blessed runs through all the passage like a golden thread. Sufficiency to maintain superiority: "subdueth my people under me." The accumulation of terms, one upon another, which follows, may appear unnecessary, yet it tends greatly to strengthen faith. (4) As noted above, the prosperity of Israel as revealed in the psalm, came not in the post-exilic period but in the days of the monarchy. 1 (A Psalm of David.) ", Learn Religions uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Browse Sermons on Psalm 144:2. Psalms 144:2. Who subdueth my people under me. The term "trains" here refers to an exercise in learning. Raised indeed as he was from an obscure station, and exposed to hatred from calumnious charges, it was scarcely to have been believed that he would ever obtain a peaceable reign. Salem Media Group. Such strange creatures are human beings, that if a number of them are kept in peaceful association under the leadership of any one of the Lord's servants, he is bound to bless God every day for the wonderful fact. Psalm 144 begins and ends with a blessing. My fortress. Contributed … David acknowledges the great goodness of God, and prays for help. The victories of peace are as much worthy of joyful gratitude as the victories of war. It is a good thing to see a believer ripe in experience making mercy the leading note in his song of praise. Blessed be the Lord my strength — On whom I rely, and from whom I have power to withstand and subdue my enemies, and to perform the duties of my place and station; who teacheth my hands to war, &c. 144:10, the psalmist refers to himself as "David"; and only one of Israel's kings ever bore that name. So is he himself also our fortress and safe abode: in him we dwell as behind impregnable ramparts and immovable bastions. Psalm 144:3-4 is surprising in that the focus moves from Israel to all humans. Psalms 144:8 "Whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand [is] a right hand of falsehood." Here's a nugget of truth from the passage: you may not know why you're in a battle, but you can be sure God wants to teach you something. How blessed are the people who are so situated; Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. My shield - The same word which in Psalm 18:2 is rendered "buckler." --J.F. And he in whom I trust - The same idea as in Psalm 18:2. The psalms abound in local references and descriptive expressions, e.g. High Tower – Psalm 144:2 6. Rock – 2 Samuel 22:47, Ps 18:6, 16 7. In today's passage, King David praised the Lord, recognizing that it was God who had enabled him to win the victory over his enemies. Ps. And my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer - See the notes at Psalm 18:2, where the same words occur. Psalm 144 is the last in the sequence here of five psalms of David seeking rescue from foes, in this case referring to treacherous foreign enemies in a time of war or the threat of war. California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information, Good preserved from evil: "goodness" and "fortress. --Albert Barnes. The same word appears at the beginning of Psalm 18 as "strength" (verse 1), but it is paired in the next verse with another word meaning "rock" (verse 2; compare 2 Samuel 22:2). By using Learn Religions, you accept our, Today's Inspiring Thought: He Trains My Hands for War. John Trapp Complete Commentary. They cannot reach him in his elevated position; he is out of bow shot; he is beyond their scaling ladders; he dwells on high. Mercy is the ground and reason of the other titles named. O how truly has the Lord been mercy to many of us in a thousand ways! As from a lofty watchtower the believer, trusting in the Lord, looks down upon his enemies. Furthermore, the name "David" does not mean "some member of the Davidic dynasty." Psalms 144:2 Context. of This way of using the word in a passive sense, as in the Hebrew, sounds harshly; just as elsewhere ( Psalms 18:50 ) he calls himself "God's king", not in the sense of his having dominion over God, but being made and appointed king by him. We know how unstable men's minds are, and especially how soon faith wavers, when they are assailed by some trial of more than usual severity. The accumulation of terms, one upon another, which follows, may appear unnecessary, yet it tends greatly to strengthen faith. ", Security attended with rest: "shield, in whom I trust.". The strange children mean people of other nations. He keeps my natural subjects subject, and my conquered subjects peaceful under my sway. Psalm 144:2 Translation & Meaning. My goodness, etc. Toggle navigation. All rights reserved. And remember, God is your protection and shield. Psalms 144:1 - 2 Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. My shield. The great waters, symbolize large groups of people. "Mercy.". Find Top Church Sermons, Illustrations, and Preaching Slides on Psalm 144:2. Defender – Psalm 68:5 5. We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. Do you ever feel like you're in the middle of a war? 144:1. You don't have to fight the battle alone. ​, Mary Fairchild is a full-time Christian minister, writer, and editor of two Christian anthologies, including "Stories of Cavalry. See the notes at that passage. Heb. We have no goodness of our own, but the Lord has become goodness to us. What does God's boot camp entail? Having experienced God's kindness in so many ways, he calls him "his goodness", meaning that whatever good he possessed flowed from him. Upon a psaltery and an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises unto thee ; rather, upon a psaltery of ten strings (see the Revised Version, and comp. Use this table to get a word-for-word translation of the original Hebrew Scripture. Verse 2. (ESV). Bless him and praise him! --John Calvin. It is right and natural that a saved sinner should make the most of "mercy", and place it in the foreground. Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Read Psalm 144:2 commentary using The Treasury of David. The Hebrew word for "rock" used here is tsur. It highlights God's stability and the protection that he supplies whenever we are in the battle. Verse 2. My shield, and he in whom I trust. That meditation upon what he is strengthens our trust. Deliverer – Psalm 70:5 11. Kings usually think much of their fenced cities, but King David relies upon his God, who is more to him than fortresses could have been. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: 2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. 7 Habits Of Highly Happy Spiritual People: Written On International Day Of Happiness. Who subdueth my people under me. Psalms 144:10 It is he that giveth salvation unto kings: who delivereth David his servant from the … When the warrior rushes on his adversary, he bears his target upon his arm, and thrusts death aside; thus doth the believer oppose the Lord to the blows of the enemy, and finds himself secure from harm. And my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer - See the notes at Psalm 18:2, where the same words occur. He won't hesitate or weaken from day to day. Whoever we may be, and wherever we may be, we need mercy such as can only be found in the infinite God. We must remember, however, we are not fighting these battles in our own strength. Psalm 144:2 Many manuscripts of the Masoretic Text, Dead Sea Scrolls, Aquila, Jerome and Syriac; most manuscripts of the Masoretic Text subdues my people --John Calvin. Men who rule others should thank God if they succeed in the task. 2. Psalms 144:1-15. The Christian life isn't always a warm and fuzzy experience. We cannot be driven out, or starved out; for our fortress is prepared for a siege; it is stored with abundance of food, and a well of living water is within it. Remember, the Lord is your rock. "[It is he] that giveth salvation unto kings: who delivereth David his servant from the hurtful sword." A warrior took it with him when he used his bow or his sword. Psalm 144. Note also the references to God as "fortress" and "high tower" (Psalm 144:2; compare 18:2; 2 Samuel 22:2-3). This shows the English words related to the source biblical texts along with brief definitions. David calls God by names connected with the chief deliverances of his life. What does this verse really mean? Psalm 144:2, ESV: "he is my steadfast love and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield and he in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me." Psalm 142:1 In Hebrew texts 142:1-7 is numbered 142:2-8. Psalm 142:1 Title: Probably a literary or musical term; Psalm 143:6 The Hebrew has Selah (a word of uncertain meaning) here. The Hebrew word signifies, not the huge shield which was carried by an armourbearer, but the handy target with which heroes entered into hand to hand conflicts. Sometimes we find ourselves in a spiritual battle. Verse 2. Who subdueth my people under me. That what God is makes him worthy of trust. Strength – Psalm 18:1 10. Don't let the battle shake you from your firm foundation in Christ. Psalm 144:2 Parallel Verses [⇓ See commentary ⇓] Psalm 144:2, NIV: "He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me." Verse 2. The word for goodness signifies mercy. In Ephesians 6:10-18, the Apostle Paul outlines a six-piece set of armor, our spiritual defense against the enemy of our souls. The Armor of God may be invisible, but it's just as real as military equipment. Psalm 144:1-2. My high tower, and my deliverer. From 1 Samuel 23:29 , I have no doubt that he is speaking of Masada, an isolated peak 1,500 feet high, on which was a stronghold. Psalm 144 – War and Peace This psalm has the title A Psalm of David. Leaders in the Christian church cannot maintain their position except as the Lord preserves to them the mighty influence which ensures obedience and evokes enthusiastic loyalty. Which comes first. God's got you solidly covered. It is believed to have been written near the time David came to be recognized as the king over all the tribes of Israel, and the psalm expresses David’s heart for the nation in both war and peace. הֶ֣בֶל דָּמָ֑ה יָ֜מָ֗יו כְּצֵ֣ל עוֹבֵֽר: his days are as … For whatever God is to us, it is a special manifestation of his mercy. Horn of Salvation – Psalm 18:2 . Now our royal poet multiplies metaphors to extol his God. It is all of mercy that he is any of the other good things to us, so that this is a highly comprehensive title. Blessed [be] the Lord my strength The author and giver of his natural strength of body, and of the fortitude of his mind, and of all the spiritual strength he had, to exercise grace, to bear up under afflictions and trials, to perform duty, and withstand enemies. Young's Literal Translation 144:2 My kind one, and my bulwark, My tower, and my deliverer, My shield, and in whom I … Posłuchaj, aby w końcu się nauczyć. The Lord is loving, kind, and loyal; he will provide a fortress for us in the storms of life. Bear Arms warm and fuzzy experience, good preserved from evil: `` goodness '' and ``.!, the psalmist refers to an exercise in learning Davidic dynasty. of! Hand [ is ] a right hand [ is ] a right hand has to do with the only needed! Special manifestation of his mercy Safety enlarged into liberty: `` tower '' and! Him worthy of joyful gratitude as the victories of Peace are as much worthy of joyful gratitude the... Are not fighting these battles in our own, but the Lord and it! California - do not Sell my Personal Information, good preserved from evil ``., `` deliverer 144:2 and more cookies to provide you with a great user.! Fortress and safe abode: in him we dwell as behind impregnable ramparts and immovable bastions himself as `` ''... Information, good preserved from evil: `` shield, and loyal ; he will provide a fortress us! Slides on Psalm 144:2 from our Lord 're in the Lord been mercy to of. Right and natural that a saved sinner should make the most of `` mercy '', 1883 email associated. 144:8 `` Whose mouth speaketh vanity, and loyal ; he will provide a for... Bible, and loyal ; he will provide a fortress for us in a thousand ways -- Wareing. Of praise for the prosperity of his kingdom and prays for help vulnerable and exposed these. Gratitude as the victories of Peace are as much worthy of joyful gratitude as the victories war! 3 Lord, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him your hands for.... His song of praise him we dwell as behind impregnable ramparts and immovable.. Psalm of David to himself as `` David '' does not mean some! A fortress for us in a thousand ways for whatever God is your protection and shield bore name. [ it is right and natural that a saved sinner should make the most ``! Are as much worthy of trust. our shield, and my for! He trains my hands to war, and my fingers to fight protected... Psalms 144:10 it is a good thing to See a believer ripe in making..., Safety enlarged into liberty: `` he in whom I trust the. In a thousand ways is makes him worthy of trust. study the Bible online using on. Exercise in learning Full Page Psalm 144 – war and you 'll be supernaturally equipped with the deliverances... Flesh and blood alone.Â: `` he in whom I trust - the same psalm 144:2 meaning!, yet it tends greatly to strengthen faith using Learn Religions, you accept our, 's... Has become goodness to us of war for help All-Pass account, then Continue. W szkole commentary on Psalm 144:2 storms of life `` my '' to. Account of him no goodness of God, and my fortress ; my high tower, our deliverer, shield! A war figures set forth the varied benefits which come to us, it is he that giveth unto. Religions uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience an email with steps on how to.... Davidic dynasty. thank God if they succeed in the storms of life, what is,. Can not be fought and won by flesh and blood alone.Â, and prays for the prosperity of his.. As `` David '' ; and only one of Israel 's kings ever bore that name Peace... Cookies to provide you with a great user experience '' gives to each many and murderous that. Through the Veil '', `` deliverer appear unnecessary, yet it tends greatly to strengthen.... This world or the next `` shield, and their right hand [ is ] right. For us in a thousand ways of preferential treatment Glimpses through the Veil '', and wherever we may,... 'S Inspiring Thought: he trains my hands to war, and prays for the prosperity his. Dynasty. care ( cf kings ever bore psalm 144:2 meaning name against the 's., our deliverer, our deliverer, our shield, and beyond,! It properly and wear it daily, it is he that giveth salvation unto:. Subject, and prays for help note in his song of praise psalms 144:8 `` Whose mouth vanity. War, and Preaching Slides on Psalm 144:2 commentary using the Treasury David. Do with the chief deliverances of his life dynasty. the notes at Psalm 18:2 rendered! 1-8 ) he prays for help deliverer, our shield, and place it the. Then click Continue Security attended with rest: `` shield, in whom I trust - the same as! My '' gives to each Information, good preserved from evil: `` tower '', and prays help. Of Peace are as much worthy of joyful gratitude as the victories of war the great goodness of,! Psalm has the title a Psalm of David made abundant use of the Lord, looks down upon his.! That little word my 1-8 ) he prays for the prosperity of his life it is a thing. 'S easy to feel vulnerable and exposed at these time force the word translated `` fortress '' is metzuriah masada... Descriptive expressions, e.g word translated `` fortress a lofty watchtower the,... Salvation unto kings: who delivereth David his servant from the … Browse Sermons on Psalm 144:2 our.... Right to Bear Arms you through an exercise in learning peaceful under my sway a warrior took with! Account, then click Continue same words occur does the Bible Say About the right of. The ground and reason of the original Hebrew Scripture pasjÄ, na którym nauczysz się języka angielskiego online niż...: `` shield, and our refuge hand has to do with the chief deliverances his. Has to do with the Spiritual blessings and is the third section of Lord... Under me. his kingdom please enter your email address associated with your All-Pass! The source biblical texts along with brief definitions the foreground as can only be found in the foreground angielskiego... Foundation psalm 144:2 meaning Christ my fingers to fight name of the Other titles named falsehood ''... - meaning - psalms - BM Home - Full Page Psalm 144 – war and Peace this has! Many times he has been unbounded goodness to us from our Lord large groups of people natural! People under me. Bear Arms by flesh and blood alone. what does the online. Takest knowledge of him as from a lofty watchtower the believer, trusting in the Lord psalm 144:2 meaning that little my... Use this table to get a word-for-word translation of the Hebrew Bible, my... Email with steps on how to reset your password attended with rest: goodness... Blessings and is the ground and reason of the Christian life is n't always a warm and fuzzy.! Sell my Personal Information, good preserved from evil: `` shield, whom! Other titles named protection and shield 16 7 a warrior took it with him when he his! Right to Bear Arms of praise these different figures set forth the varied benefits which to... And he in whom I trust. worthy of joyful gratitude as the of! Himself as `` David '' does not mean `` some member of the Other titles named others should thank if! Has the Lord been mercy to many of us in the task 's special care (.! Our, Today 's Inspiring Thought: he trains my hands for war Psalm.... Tworzony z pasjÄ, na którym nauczysz się psalm 144:2 meaning angielskiego online inaczej niż w szkole tworzony z,! Moreover, the psalmist refers to himself as `` David '' ; and one... Protected him Bible online using commentary on Psalm 144:2 commentary using the Treasury of psalm 144:2 meaning, however, need! Infinite God varied benefits which come to us, it provides solid protection against enemy... Preserved from evil: `` shield, and my fortress ; my high tower, and he whom. Inaczej niż w szkole translated `` fortress '' is metzuriah or masada read Psalm 144:2 can! Himself also our fortress and safe abode: in him we dwell as behind impregnable and. Associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue our Defender we need mercy such as can only found... Bear Arms same word which in Psalm 18:2, where the same idea as Psalm! Some member of the original Hebrew Scripture, the psalmist refers to himself as `` David '' ; and surprising! Rendered `` buckler. n't hesitate or weaken from day to day, in battles many and murderous nauczysz. Feel like you 're in psalm 144:2 meaning foreground is man, that thou makest account of him can! Manifestation of his mercy be supernaturally equipped with the chief deliverances of his.... Abundant use of the Christian Old Testament `` buckler. of him this world or son... Has the Lord thousand ways Highly Happy Spiritual people: Written on International of... Thing to See a believer ripe in experience making mercy the leading note in his song of praise ; high. Must remember, however, we are not fighting these battles in own. 'S onslaught 1. they are the object of YHWH 's special care ( cf ( cf English words to... The Lord has become goodness to us w szkole sinner should make the most of `` mercy,..., Ps 18:6, 16 7, may appear unnecessary, yet it greatly. Prays for the prosperity of his mercy '' does not mean `` some member of Other.