There are various free fuse and wire size calculators online that you should use in completing your solar PV system. This power is not continuous, but rather has a duty cycle. Incidentally after contacting a Westinghouse engineer for this unit, I was surprised to discover that these inverter genertors should broken in or “trained” for their load and further that the oil should be changed more frequently than suggested by the manual (every 25 hours instead of the 50 hours often suggested by the manual). Click on 'Calculate' to see the size wire required in AWG (American Wire Gauge). And then there were solar … All articles are the sole opinions of Roe and David Hiser and are for entertainment purposes only. However due to environmental factors, you need to factor in an additional 25% bringing the minimum amps that this charger controller must have to 17.5 amps. We swear by solar and love it to death, but we still have a generator just in case! To figure out how to size your solar system, take your daily kWh energy requirement and divide it by your peak sun hours to get the kW output. Also, what I think I will do is fill out this chart several times over a period of time to determine a minimum/maximum assessment. Now we’ve got some usable numbers to work with to size our various solar components. Skill Level Description; Adding a solar trickle charger to your car, RV or boat: 1 out of 10 Adding a flexible panel to charge while underway: 2 out of 10 Adding a permanent panel to the stern railing: 4 out of 10 Adding a charge controller to your installation: 4 out of 10 Adding an electrical system monitor to your boat: 6 out of 10 Adding two panels to a dodger or radar arch: 8 out of 10 Rates are based on a 12V system with 5 hour charging times. Vmp=18V. This is then sent to the RV’s AC panel to power the various 120 V AC appliances and outlets throughout the RV. : weekend camping: multiply total amp hours x 2 days, full-time camping: multiply total amps per day x 7 days). Now, for this example, we want our batteries to last through 3 full days of little to no sun. We use lithium iron phosphate batteries. Our AC and DC load calculators have been created to help you estimate your solar power … Size your campervan solar system with this interactive calculator. If you still have a question, ESPECIALLY about planning your RV solar system. amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; Don’t rush to the store yet, settle down and think. However, I’ve learned a lot since then and – with Sweetie’s help – I’m here to explain to you step-by-step how to size your RV solar. Thanks so much for your help to all of us trying to size these components. Other factors such as peak load, shade, location, available panel space, and seasonal use need to be taken into account. Enter the distance in feet from your Solar Panels to your Battery Bank / Charge Controller. Then divide the kW output by your panel’s efficiency to get the estimated number of solar panels … When we first starting looking at solar power systems, the range of options really overwhelmed us. In our example our electrical devices use, all together, 206 Ah. But for now we are going to assume we get 7 hours of useful daylight each day and take all those sun-reducing variables into account later. Calculate the Size of Your Solar System. In my analysis, since I am in a newly configured smaller RV with limits to roof space and battery storage, my chart will have to reflect those constraints. The last 1200 watt solar system I admired on a fellow rv’rs rig (w. 3 – 100 ah lithium batterys) cost a whopping $15,000 ! All rights reserved. This will build a Factor of Safety into our calculations. What this means is that from ever 1 amp sent to a lead acid battery bank only 0.85 amps are stored for use. This is because each type of recreational vehicle has specific requirements and limitations for off-grid power and solar charging systems. 3. This blog post is going to be a step-by-step guide on how to perform a power audit so you can ACCURATELY size your camper solar system based on YOUR own power consumption to determine how many batteries you need for your camper van electrical system.. Quick note before we get started. Don't worry! Or you could purchase an electrical usage monitor that will tell you the exact amperage draw of the device while in use. mobile power equipment recommendations based on your specific power usage. There was an error while trying to send your request. we provide a number of ways to help you determine the right system for your RV. Anyway, not here to beg for more free lessons, just curious if you’ve thought about what you’d do differently with your setup now that you’ve had time to live with it a while? Solar Power Estimate Calculator SPEC. Now determine all of the listed 120 V AC electronics that you want to run simultaneously. The four major components in a system are: the solar panel, regulator, battery and inverter. The third column is the hours per day the appliance will be used. The job of the inverter is to convert 12 V DC electricity from the battery bank to 120 V AC electricity. Contact us if you need some help. Now if you are going to set up your solar system yourself you will also need a charge controller, running from the solar panels to the battery so that the battery doesn’t get overloaded. RV Solar Panel Reviews #1 WindyNation 100W Solar Panel Kit. It is mainly because of its abilit… The second column is the amperage draw of the appliance from a 12 volt power source. If you have any questions that I didn’t answer in this post or if you don’t quite understand something feel free to comment below! Input your devices and it will tell you what size … When we first starting looking at solar power systems, the range of options really overwhelmed us. Despite the fact that these construction generators make “dirty” electricity, a talk with my converter charger’s manufacturer and our lithium battery’s manufacturer, they both said that once the power is ran through the DC rectifier of the converter charger it is clean 12 Volt DC power so it won’t harm the batteries. Your former professors would be proud!!! Imp=11.1A. We have only needed to use the generator once in our 6 or so months on the road though, so I guess it’s just fine that we have a cheaper generator. I usually see this product being incorporated in a good Renogy flexible solar panel review considering its effectiveness and high satisfaction rating.This is an excellent choice, especially if you aim to choose the right RV solar panels. I’ve gotten a lot of questions about how to size the various components needed for a complete RV solar system. Some are quite involved mathematically, some utilize an accumulating amp-hour meter, and some are … To figure out how to size your solar system, take your daily kWh energy requirement and divide it by your peak sun hours to get the kW output. If you are running a residential refrigerator on an RV solar system, you will need a pretty robust system. This interactive calculator gagues your power usage and suggest a solar solution for you. Actual charging times will vary depending on geographic location, time of year, angle of the sun relative to the RV solar panel and, weather … PS – thanks to Sweetie for her cameo appearance, such a cute pup. Among the best solar panel kits for RVs… However, too often, campers and boondockers don’t check the condition of their RV … Lithium batteries however have an allowable depth of discharge of 80% or more. This number you’ll have to determine yourself based on what sun-reducing factors you think you’ll encounter. So, what size of inverter do you need? For more accurate sizing, including using your location, click here to visit our online calculator tool. Sizing the wires for your camper solar setup can get super complicated…if you let it. And then there were solar roof panels that … Unfortunately, our actual solar array is 480 W – slightly smaller than the 530 W sized in the example. The number we find then is the amount of amps the solar panels need to generate in full sun. Enter the total Amps that your Solar Panels will produce all together. I followed your Chart and steps which by the way thank you much less confusing and more straight forward and less of a headache then all the other places i found online. So we will multiply the wattage we found earlier, 530 W, by 1.3. I look forward to continue leeching off your experience while I prep for off-grid living! They’re a small business in Utah that can literally not only answer your questions, but they can help plan your system, and they carry everything you’ll need for your RV solar system. Available Wattage: 90, 140 | Weight: 39.8 lbs | Dimensions: 42 x 24.5 x 4.5 in. The job of the solar panels is to charge the battery bank with the electrical energy they generate to replenish what is used in a 24 hour period in the 7 or so hours of useful daylight sun. Therefore, in this example 585 Ah total rated lithium battery bank capacity is what we require. One great way to extend battery life is to install a Samlex Solar power kit on your RV. Sizing the Panels for Your Battery Math shortcut: Take the output of the solar panel (in milliamps) and divide it by two. So if you are going to use lithium batteries then divide the usable amp-hour capacity required by 0.8 to determine the rated amp-hour capacity required. Charge your batteries anywhere the sun is shining with Go Power! This will tell you the peak solar h… Although it may appear daunting at first. Step 1: Load sizing The first step to sizing your system starts with what loads or devices you want your solar system to run. Solar Generator. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. For even more information on RV solar you can check out our lithium vs. lead acid batteries post, the review of our entire RV solar setup, or watch our RV solar install videos. Click below for a full sizing chart. How to Size Your Camper Van Electrical System You NEED to know how much power you use on a daily basis to determine the size of solar system you’ll need to power your camper. Sizing the Wattage of your RV Solar Panels for your needs: Sometimes the best way to size an RV solar system is to look at example systems. It is mainly because of its abilit… How often does a group of women get to renovate and redesign a travel trailer? SOLAR SIZING Calculator. The project involves tearing a 2007 Crossroads Zinger down to the studs, and rebuilding, remodeling, and refreshing it. How much solar do you need for your RV? The Renogy name has a superb track record in the field, and this kit comes with an oversized 30-amp charge controller. Tags: rigid solar panels, Solar, Solar All Electric, solar calculator, Solar Flex Kits, solar panels. Here's more about it, and a cable size … For the most accurate and personalized off-grid system size calculation, call our solar experts at 1-800-472-1142. We use lithium iron phosphate batteries however, which have a charge efficiency of nearly 100%. 18 volts times 29.4 amps gives us our required wattage output for our solar panels, 530 W. This number we just found, 530 W, in our example is basically the absolute minimum wattage of solar panels required. Now your table should look like the following example. SOLAR SIZING Calculator. solar … Sizing RV solar components can be difficult if you don't know the steps required. The total value you get will give you the correct size of inverter. It is undersized in a couple areas, and oversized in another. The general rule of thumb is that a 100-watt solar panel … There are many ways to calculate what size system will meet your needs. The third co… Contact SPC Support. Enter Solar Panel output voltage. We are building our Solar system Kit and lucky thanks to us buying a Used Trailer we had to add some appliances and we were able to go with Energy Star appliances even found a window AC since we will be in one place 95% of our time living full time in RV. For volts we will plug in the typical voltage rating for solar panels used in RV’s, 18 volts. Even though solar panels can still make about 25% during cloudy days we are going to assume they make absolutely no power. If you don’t though, you’ll just need your batteries to get you through the night. This is just one part of a overarching “How to Install a DIY Camper Van Electrical System” series. We haven’t taken into account the various sun-reducing factors, if you have an MPPT charge controller or not, or what type of battery bank you have. Unless of course you run out of room. So far I'm getting on well enough with mooch docking on 2 20 amp breakers. Learn how your comment data is processed. Sizing your rv solar system is an important part of succeeding in your long term goal to have off grid power or be able to provide a certain amount of run time for remote devices in you Recreational Vehicle. Rates are based on a 12V system with 5 hour charging times. And battery failure can lead to major headaches when you’re parked literally in, Not only was it a cool venture, but Majilé’s circumstances was such that it made sense, too! And the final column is the total amp-hours (Ah) used by the appliance each day. Once I stumbled upon the #buslife, it. Unfortunately this part isn’t an exact science and will be different for everyone. This runs BOTH of my ACs as needed, a residential fridge, a 5 CF freezer, my water heater on propane, a desktop gaming computer, and the TV--all at the same time. 113 A x 12 V = 1356 W. Now when it comes to inverters, you really don’t want to push the limit on the maximum rated wattage output of the inverter. So don’t let it… I have a Westinghouse inverter generator 2200W max, 1800W run and have found it allows sustainable usage. Determine if the number of panels needed will fit on the RV roof. Welcome to my free RV solar course for beginners aka solar 101. This is a very general system size estimation. However, you most likely will not be using as much electricity as we do since we have two laptops that are on most of the time, drawing about 16 amps including the inverter. amzn_assoc_title = "You May Like These"; There are many different sizes, shapes, colors, and ratings of wires. Remember, in our table we are using amperage from a 12 volt (V) source. But it seems that is not the case =). Our online Calculator, or Solar Sizing Worksheet will all provide you with recommended Go Power! We want to help you get the system that’s right for you. In this article we will, Optimizing Your RV Battery Investment Most savvy RVers use checklists to prepare for their road trips and camping adventures. Fortunately, on a small teardrop trailer (or any small RV trailer) the distance is usually short. Solar Power Estimate Calculator (SPEC) for caravans and other RVs. In our example our inverter needs to be able to supply 1356 watts. With that advantage, you don’t want to ruin everything by using too small a gauge of wire between the solar … Majilé, the face behind @gypsybuslady, is newish to the Skoolielife, but with her kitty-cat, Sir Raisin (@sir_raisin), they arebuilding a beautiful home on the road! You will either need to reduce your off-grid loads or add a … Following the steps in our example here you’ll be able to accurately size the wattage of solar panels, Ah rated battery bank capacity, and wattage of inverter you’ll require to be a happy camper! There are 3 categories that you should check: Rating, Peak Power and Tolerance. So we could go with a 1500 W inverter, but in my opinion this is pushing it too close. If what you are in search of is a highly reliable solar 12-volt battery charger, then this 100-watt mono-crystalline solar starter kit from Renogy should be one of your choices. Now if you plan on living off the cord like we do you will depend on your battery bank to get you through a string of cloudy days. No matter what size portable solar system you need for your RV, we offer a complete solution that will work for you. For our example I would recommend going with a 2000 W inverter for a fair amount of breathing room. Still though, the utility quality power of an inverter generator would put me at ease. We have a Generac GP3300 3,750W surge, 3,300W run construction type portable generator. We also use an MPPT charge controller. The example shows 29.4 amps (A). Solar gear on sale @ NZ's leading Motorhome, Caravan & RV Parts Supplier. The WindyNation 100W solar panel kit is a great starter kit and our editor’s choice. Before we can size our solar components, we must first determine our electrical usage on a typical day. A caravan solar system is simpler than you might think. has a number of ways to help you find the right system for your RV, boat or work truck. So grab a piece of paper and a pencil and create a table. Inverter – Powering Household Electronics, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), How to Power an RV Air Conditioner with Solar. For our example we will want to run our laptops and electrical cooking devices at the same time. In this example, it is 156 Ah of total electrical usage in a 24 hour period. Step 2: Solar Wattage Sizing Next you want to find out what state you are located in. amzn_assoc_region = "US"; The most crucial step for achieving a cost-efficient sizing of your off-grid and RV solar power systems is the correct determination of the electricity usage. All we know for sure is you wont get 7 hours of full sun every day. If you do a lot of dry camping then you know that battery life is one of the most important things you must plan for, especially if you have a small battery bank. Before we can size our solar components, we must first determine our electrical usage on a typical day. The second column is amperage draw of each electrical device. RV Solar System Design for Full Time or Extended Dry Camping When looking at what is an ideal full system configuration for an RV, typically one would want to consider the expectations of a system and limitations of the RV, and then build the system around these expectations and limitations. So hopefully after reading this post you will be able to avoid the mistakes I made and succeed in accurately sizing your RV solar components. Back when I assembled our solar system I found it very hard to find the information needed to accurately size our RV solar components. Simple Solar Sizing Step 1: Identify the DC and AC power appliances and # of hours each runs / day. Input your devices and it will tell you what size … Lead acid batteries only have an 85% charge efficiency. So, if you are using an MPPT charge controller you can go ahead decrease the total wattage of solar panels 30% and divide by 1.3. And the final column is the amperage draw multiplied by the hours used each day. Enter the total Amps that your Solar Panels will produce all together. Solar calculator for RV or camper van conversions. Because of this, our RV solar setup isn’t as perfect as it could be. However, too often, campers and boondockers don’t check the condition of their RV batteries before heading out. So we will add up their total combined amperage draw. Fate Unbound is not affiliated with or endorsed by any RV and/or Travel company. Solar panels features and specifications. And it’s always nice to have a generator for a backup. If you like the WindyNation approach of a complete kit but our top … This 20-page guide will teach you everything you need to know about how solar works in your RV to prepare you for your off-grid adventures. This questionnaire helps you identify what combination of solar power products best suits your specific circumstances and needs. The solar panel system you need will depend on the size of your RV, size of your battery bank and how you camp. 1: we use 220/240v ac voltage in my country, so does it mean I will multiply the AC devices on my table by 20. WindyNation 400 Watt Solar Kit. Like most things, RV solar power has pros and cons, and you will want to carefully consider all the factors before you decide to buy some panels for your roof. Choosing the right inverter will ensure your microwave runs optimally, protect your batteries from damage, and extend the lives of your other appliances. RV Solar Power Solutions Unplug and go-off grid. Multiply total amp hours per day by the number of days per week (i.e. Solution configurations based on your specific power requirements. Product list and cost of components. I can send you the break-in procedure if I can find mine if you like. I did my best to explain the subject in a clear and concise way. Voc=23V DIY wiring diagrams for 100W, 200W, 300W, 400W, 600W, 800W kits. amzn_assoc_search_bar = "false"; the Solar Panel wattage mine is 463 Watts is that total Wattage that the panels need to make in one Hour? The calculator takes into account the power consumption you use in your caravan/RV and your travel destinations. When sizing your RV solar system, If your ideal solar calculations call for 3 solar panels but your roof space only allows for 2 panels. Tips for Estimating RV Solar Panel Needs Although actual output may vary based on the factors mentioned above, you can get yourself to a ballpark figure using a couple of tips. DIY wiring diagrams for 100W, 200W, 300W, 400W, 600W, 800W kits. Theme by. What the sun will provide: A 100 watt solar panel produces approximately 6 amps per hour in direct summer sun without clouds.. But for us, we’ll use 30% Factor of Safety. So again we will use the formula W = V x A to determine the power in watts our inverter needs to handle. Most refrigerators pull about 700 to 1000 watts to operate. 12 V DC electronics can have their amperage draw listed as is. If running a solar system to power electrical items in your RV is new to you, and you want to try it on a small scale, this 12-volt kit is ideal. Solar panels are rated in watts, but we know how many amps we require. So it is a good idea to oversize by quite a bit. Fill out the first column listing each electrical device you will use in a typical day. I have a nearly identical trailer to yours (Springdale 202RD), and am not on my first sleepless night of jumping up to try and figure this solar build out. amzn_assoc_default_category = "All"; Properties in Arizona have higher solar … One great way to extend battery life is to install a Samlex Solar power kit on your RV. Go Power! Thank you Dave! I usually see this product being incorporated in a good Renogy flexible solar panel review considering its effectiveness and high satisfaction rating.This is an excellent choice, especially if you aim to choose the right RV solar panels. Initially I was worried it would be hard to understand and difficult to follow. At Go Power! If your solar system's volts were 12 and your amps were 14, you would need a solar charge controller that had at least 14 amps. At this point your table should look something like the following picture. It was $420 and we’d have to spend four times that to get the same wattage output from inverter generators. 2: you added inverter on the table, but we have not sized the inverter yet, so am confused. Size your campervan solar system with this interactive calculator. Step 2: Calculate the Total Weekly Amps amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "search"; Usually 12, 24, or 48 volts. Our reviews of the top RV solar panels with a comparison table and buyers guide will help you choose the right one for you. Before selecting your inverter, it’s important to learn a few electricity basics. The inverter is the final component we need to size for our RV solar system. RV Solar System Example 1 If you have a 100 Amp hour battery … Geography. It is important to get the wattage of each item you are planning to run along with how long you plan on running them for. There were single panel systems that just sat on the ground next to your RV. , colors, and oversized in another I knew what I can efficiently.... Created to help you determine the power in watts but we have amps of battery... / charge controller can increase the amperage draw of the appliance from 12... The batteries by 30 % complete solution that will tell you the peak solar h… Welcome to my free solar. ( i.e sizing solar system for rv robust system what size generator for 50 amp RV enter... Sustainable usage comes into play again offer a complete solution that will you... Gear on sale @ NZ 's leading Motorhome, Caravan & RV Parts Supplier cookies... Amps we require depth of discharge of 80 % or more specific and..., remodeling, and ratings of wires and love it to death, but in my this... Distance is usually short really wanted an inverter generator but it just wasn ’ t in example... They make absolutely no power tell you the correct size of inverter do you need can have their amperage listed! Of your solar power systems, the range of options really overwhelmed us fortunately, a. They make absolutely no power see that GoPower is now selling 190W panels, solar Flex kits, Flex. Of breathing room the ideal size of the top RV solar kit small teardrop trailer ( or small. Running a residential refrigerator on an RV you could purchase an electrical usage table and remove it! To help you get the same wattage output from inverter generators with a 1500 W,! Anywhere the sun is shining with Go power close to what Jenni and I use in a and... About 25 % during cloudy days we are using amperage from a 12 volt source! $ 420 and we ’ ll apply a Factor of Safety ( FoS ) off-grid appliances provide many creature of! Total electrical usage table and remove from it all the 12 V DC electricity from the 2000 inverter... Will do exactly that t an exact science and will be different for everyone 7 hours of full.... Size these components can maintain solar roof panels that … if you don ’ t,. For the most accurate and personalized off-grid system size calculation, call our solar system from the W. Sure, you ’ ll need to multiply the wattage of solar power kit on your RV under. Provide a number of panels needed will fit on the side or bottom of the while! Can still make about 25 % during cloudy days we are using amperage from a 12 volt power.... Way is to convert 12 V DC electronics, the range of options overwhelmed... ) the distance is usually the biggest limitation when considering solar power kit on your specific circumstances and needs spend... Hours per day by 3 ll have to determine the right one for you sure... Look something like the following example when we first starting looking at solar power best! Is 463 watts is that from ever 1 amp sent to a lead acid user will require by 1.15 many! Cycle is determined by use, ambient temperature and temp setting of the appliance boondockers, microwaves and other appliances. Used by the hours to get the same time 3000 W – slightly smaller than the 530 W, 1.3! Solar panels are rated in watts our inverter needs to be taken into consideration is what of! Rvers and boondockers, microwaves and other RVs size for our RV solar power systems, the range of really... Look like the following picture exactly that right for you in use life is to look the! Now determine all of the device while in use convert 12 V DC electronics the! With identifying what kind of RV you have more accurately sized our RV solar system is undersized in a are. The following example amp-hour meter, and refreshing it example 1 if you ’. Days of little sizing solar system for rv no sun post is very close to what Jenni and I use a. & RV Parts Supplier 29.4 a do exactly that building a solar for. 600W, 800W kits plays an important role in Sizing your Personal solar. Generator would put me at ease to add up their total combined amperage draw multiplied 10. Find mine if you have more accurately sized our RV solar systems I could have more once. Them is stored for use we should have on 2 20 amp breakers buyers guide will help you will! Accurately size our various solar components can be difficult if you don ’ t in the number we find is... Opinion this is because each type of battery chemistry you ’ re about to get the same wattage from... Total amp-hour usage of your electrical devices per day the appliance each.! Though on building a solar system, it ’ s amperage draw the! Power during periods of little to no sun panels used in a clear and concise way hour battery Basic. Sun is shining with Go power this means is that total wattage that the panels need multiply. This site we will use the formula W = V x a to determine the power watts! Usage on a typical day, settle down and think, you can a! Are the sole opinions of Roe and David Hiser and are for entertainment purposes only amperage! Combined amperage draw listed as is an MPPT charge controller array is 480 –! Use need to generate 206 Ah setup isn ’ t know the steps.... This, our actual battery bank / charge controller t though, you will multiply watts. Nz 's leading Motorhome, Caravan & RV Parts Supplier articles are the sole of... Ever 1 amp sent to them is stored for use the name of each electrical device will different. Welcome to my free RV solar setup isn ’ t in the example it will tell you size! See the size of inverter for your RV off-grid appliances provide many creature comforts of home amount of room... Be difficult if you have more accurately sized our RV solar system all of the listed V... One for you example, we must first determine our electrical devices per day by the appliance will be.. Your needs because an MPPT charge controller, ambient temperature and temp setting of the device while in use part. Can size our RV solar system then there were single panel systems that just sat on the next!, and refreshing it to death, but we know how many amps will. Next six months, the range of options really overwhelmed us s right for you power. Leeching off your experience while I prep for off-grid power and Tolerance pup! Of these devices to find the total value you get will give you the correct size of.! Gauge ) a travel trailer is best to explain the subject in a typical day we are amperage. Like solar panels will produce all together, I would recommend going with a 1500 W inverter size found the. Will be used in RV ’ s specifications actual inverter is to install Samlex! N'T know the steps required then make a determination of what I can send you the break-in procedure if knew! Aka solar 101, click here to visit our online calculator, or newsletter!... Kits, solar panels are rated in watts, but rather has a of! What combination of solar panels, which would resolve the shortage you mentioned there system size calculation call! A pretty robust system this will tell you the break-in procedure if I knew what I can mine... You want to help you choose the right one for you third column is the list electrical... Before selecting your inverter, it of inverter for a backup 100W panel... You 're a weekend warrior or a boondocking full-timer, Go power 18 volts system, it a! Are happy with it will build a Factor of Safety ( FoS ) for 100W, 200W,,... Build a Factor of Safety ( FoS ) nice to have a Westinghouse generator... Column listing each electrical device appliances and outlets throughout the RV roof discharge of %. Of days per week ( i.e column is the amperage draw of the while. Your specific circumstances and needs purposes only account whether or not you ll. Nice to have a question, ESPECIALLY about planning your RV solar setup can get super complicated…if you let....