The input shaped the park’s future and best utilizes its recreational potential. After entering the trail there, the first quarter of a mile of the trail is rough and muddy, however, an informal detour around that section is available through the adjacent field. I'll avoid this next time. (about 15-20 parking spots), you will have to deal with the thumb sized crushed stone surface over the first 1.5 miles (and then again at the finish, of course). Recognized both state and nationally, the Swatara Water Trail is 60 miles in length, created by Swatara Watershed Association in cooperation with PA DCNR, PA Fish & Boat Commission, and the National Park Service with public launches established about every 7 miles. A Portage trail comes down from the new Trout Run Trail Head just off Highway 72. Historic Data: Water Quality Sampling Results by SWA at WQN211–Middletown PA, near the mouth of the Swatara Creek–where the Swatara empties into the Susquehanna River.. Water Quality: Over the years, due to its size, the Swatara Creek was impacted by a number of consumer and residential activities that contributed to an overall decline in water quality. From the parking lot, turn left to head 5 miles toward the southern trailhead in Lickdale, or turn right to head 5 miles toward the northern trailhead in Pine Grove. Go 2.3 miles, and look for roadside parking on the left. This multi-use trail can be used both directions and has a easy overall physical rating. I beginning. I rode about 8 miles before finding short section under water. The Swatara Trail is a mix of rough gravel, new pavement, old pavement, crushed limestone, a little dirt, and even some grass lawns thrown in just before the end in the parking lot of a Hampton Inn. We did this on a Friday so maybe that is the reason for the lack of people--this trail is beautiful and if you take the time to look you can see nature at its best. Horseback riding is allowed from the Sand Siding Trail east to Pine Grove. They also have a pool, a basketball court and a band shell that are all newly constructed. Access to the Swatara Creek Water Trail is provided at two formal trailheads, Scotto's Italian Restaurant, Jonestown, Lebanon County, and Boat House Road Park, Derry Township, Dauphin County, and at other public and private access points identified on the trail guide/map. To reach a centrally located parking area in Swatara State Park from I-81, take Exit 100, and head west onto SR 443/Suedberg Road. You can cross at the bridge at the north end at Swopes Valley Rd. Some up hills, and down hills. I enjoyed my ride but was disappointed with the surface of the trail. The trick is to pick the riding opportunities that match your interest and ability.The Park is located next to Routes 72 and 433 that extend from Lickdale (Exit 90 of I-81) to Pine Grove (Exit 100 of I-81). We start on the Bear Hole trail and do the hills first, then connect with the Swatara for a beautiful flat ride. I didn’t see the marked parking on the south side near the KOA so drove further up. Several years ago, it was repaired and renamed Bear Hole Trail as Swatara State Park was developed. There are three entrances that will lead you into the less challenging mid section of the Park and its trails. This Trail is open to vehicles the 2nd Friday and Saturday of each month. It is a beautiful and quiet ride, although somewhat boring as there are few intersections with civilization, but I hope to ride the entire length someday. The trail was a little rough from them but not terrible. The 10-mile trail begins in Lickdale, crosses a gap in Blue Mountain created by Swatara Creek, and ends in Pine Grove. The Interactive GIS Map uses Geographic Information Systems to create a map that does not need to be downloaded and features driving directions, searchable park amenities, and customizable maps.. This trail should not allow horse at all. Below the Appalachian trail bridge it's a fairly coarse gravel for nearly two miles that I did not like. Much of the trail is crushed limestone and asphalt, although segments at either end are dirt and grass and may be more conducive to mountain bikes than road and hybrid bikes. Scroll down to learn more information about the Swatara Creek Run. The reason for the difference is that people who do not read all the reviews and do not check the state park web site don't know where to go. “With its increased network of trails and access to Swatara Creek launching areas, we see park visitation growing significantly,” Allan said. Be careful. This trail hasn’t been improved. We got a room in the Days Inn in Lickdale again and my wife drove shuttle up to Route SR 443 and Swopes Valley Road where the rail trail uses the highway for 100 feet due to a washed out bridge. My first trail since coming back to PA late this summer. We rode and fooled around on this trail 5-2015. In the meantime, the Reading Railroad had built several connecting lines along the canal that were consolidated as the Lebanon and Tremont Branch in 1871. I agree some trimming is in order for the first mile or two on way back after crossing the bridge. After riding trail A I returned to the rail trail and rode south to the Lickdale trailhead. Completed 13 or so mile loop including the bear hole trail. Follow this trail straight. An 8-mile stretch of the Swatara Creek Water Trail winds through the park, and two miles of the Appalachian Trail, which stretches from Georgia to Maine, cross its southern sector. Just before the big Northern bend in the river the "Zombie Highway" as we call it, is blocked by a permanent barrier and a short connector appears to take you back to the crushed stone trail. The southern trailhead begins in the vicinity of a commercial campground in Lickdale, where you’ll also find multiple restaurants, hotels, and an RV park. One of the only ways to tell where you are is by the bridges that cross the stream. The horse riders were very nice--slowing their horses to let us pass. Once entering Swatara … I started at the Sand Siding Road parking lot and biked down to the new bridge which allows now for two ten miles circle rides on each side of the creek and then I circled north to the trail head at Swopes Valley trail head. Dogs are also able to use this trail … Up the hill you will find an abandoned section of highway that the kids will find creepy to be on. It's unimproved, muddy, and potholed. The Swatara Rail-Trail uses the corridors left behind by a canal and a railroad to snake around an Appalachian mountain in eastern Pennsylvania, passing through the forests of Swatara State Park most of the way. Understandably they need to exercise too but their hooves wreak havoc on the trail. We had read that the bike folks do not like the horse riders. Did a 40+ mile ride there today, mostly on Monroe Valley Road but also did most of the park trails, Trout Run, Bear Hole, etc. Feel free to take the side trails and explore. Two old cast iron bridges cross Swatara Creek to provide access to Old State Road from the rail trail.Ten miles of rail trail, located on the bank opposite Old State Road and next to Routes 72 and 443, was the site of the Lebanon and Tremont Branch of the Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road that replaced the canal. The northeastern loop from Sand Siding to Swopes Valley Road is a 7.2 mile loop and the southwestern loop from Sand Siding to the Waterville/Appalachian Trail Bridge is a 4.6 mile loop. It is now cratered. SR 72 (Lickdale) to Anspach Dr. nr. There are several cool bridges and I loved the mix of trail types -- including some abandoned roads. I frequent this trail as its close to home and a nice 12-13 mile loop running up then down either side of the swatara creek. Maintenance also lacks, broken signs and high weeds along the trail. I parked in the limited parking area and took off north, under I-81, on the trail. It’s also very nice, BUT if you expecting a flat trail, return via the Swatara Trail. A very nice trail to ride. Then you'll pick up a decent crushed gravel path through the very shady and pleasant woods. We have done this trail several times in the past year, and it just keeps getting better! My glow-in-the-dark Irish skin was attracting bugs like crazy. Four point seven miles from Lickdale, just before Twin Grove Park, an unmarked dirt road will take you directly to the rail-trail. The southern end starts at a newer, state-developed parking area and canoe launch. if you do decide to start there, drive toward the back of the Hotel and, before getting clear to the back, notice the buildings to your right. trails are maintained nicely & well marked. Hoof marks and horse flops became increasing evident as I went west/north, but IMHO were never more that a minor nuisance. Smooth riding - between bumps every hundred feet or so. And I did not encounter any horses anywhere (on a Monday afternoon). “We know more than 84,000 visitors came last year to float and fish its waters and hike and bike its scenic woodlands.” Get directions, maps, and traffic for Swatara, PA. near the village of Suedberg off Rt. Pennsylvania State Parks are the best! I took the trail till I hit the concrete plant that I first discovered when I tried to catch the trail at the KOA in Lickdale. Started my trip from the campground north of the park.Can’t wait to do it again. nr. We could have used 3 different tires on this trip. There is a marshy area near Wagner's pond with a sign stating "wet trail". If the State Park mowers have a down day it would be nice to see then on the Swatara Trail. The next time I rode, they had been removed and now it was like riding on a washboard. The trail passes along the edge of the state park with a line of farm communities to the left. The State plans to turn it into a non-motorized trail. The parking was easy to find from the online directions (the camp store has great rocking chairs -- in season -- to occupy as you eat some ice cream). The trail is really, really not marked at all. Just get on it and go as far as you can. The north spur is mostly grass and dirt and I can see how it could become muddy if it had rained. The state park system has continued to improve the trails in Swatara State Park. Since there was a threating rain cloud overhead, I turned around before I got to the end of the trail. It will get better. No description provided. this trail is passible for most if you take you time. You can take younger kids on this one. The previous review done in May outlines the main new features. I LOVED the trails at Swatara! To reach the Monroe Valley Road trailhead from I-81, follow the directions above, but instead of continuing on Lickdale Road, turn left onto SR 72 N. Go 0.9 mile, and turn right onto Monroe Valley Road. My only complaint is that horses should not be on this bridge as there were "road apples" along the entire bridge, I hesitate to post this because it is not a well traveled trail, and I hope it stays that way! Swatara Creek Run (SCR) will take place at the Swatara State Park about 40 minutes north east of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I think they ran short of money because the signs say they are not finished. The Bear Hole trail which is built on top of the old state road had small washouts in many places. But is a good place to learn to ride a bike for the first time. My wife and I road the entire ten-mile length of the Swatara Rail-Trail (SRT) on Monday, May 28th. Future plans call for the, In another 1.2 miles, the trail begins a narrow passage through the water gap through Blue Mountain created by Swatara Creek. The road ends in a parking area. Either campground looks like a good place to spend a weekend.From I-81 take exit 100 to 443 west for seven miles. At Swopes Valley Road, DON'T keep going straight (there IS a trail there). Again using a stop on my way south from Vermont I finished my scouting of the several trails in undeveloped Swarta State Park. Overall the Swatara Rail Trail is pretty nice. 14 trails with 18 photos Access to the Swatara Creek Water Trail is provided at public and private access points identified on the map. Swatara Falls is a beautiful, rugged place with soaring cliffs and boulders. One minute you feel lost in the woods with a river on one side and a cliff on the other; the next minute you are sailing though a field where the trail is only as wide as your tire. Susquehanna Area Mountain Biking Association's Trails Map. If don’t wish to confront these challenges, I suggest you avoid both ends of the rail trail and use the occasionally narrow but relatively easy six point five mile mid-section of the rail trail. For the first 2.5 miles it was a old road. Map Search • Browse Routes ... Swatara Rail Trail. After mile two, however, the riding is fantastic. A side trip here crosses the creek and turns left for a mile on the. Start/Finish will be at the Swopes Valley Trailhead on the east side of the park. We rode the trail from Lickdale on the southern end to highway 81 on the north end. Here, through Swopes Valley, it is relatively narrow, swift and shallow at places, so it is best suited for kayaks. Anyone who refers to this structure as just an "abandoned cabin" truly doesn't get it. soon you will come to a place where you can take a left on the road or a right, I went right where the road soon ended. But the rest of the trails are just as good as before.But there is good news. The trail from Lickdale to the Appalacian bridge is quite rough, I don't think it would be much fun on a road bike, but my hybrid goes fine. Stretching from Georgia to Maine, the Appalachian Trail (AT) traverses two miles of the southern portion of Swatara State Park. After this first mile the trail is either macadam (old road bed) or fine packed gravel. At one point the trail switches from the old rail bed to the old paved highway. A trip north on I-81 gave me another chance to explore the Swatara Rail Trail. Visually this trail is a treat, from a scrap yard, to bird preserve to an few small examples of old growth forest. I am guessing there must be a horse stable nearby that there are so many rude horse owners here as this isn't a problem on any other trail I have ridden. Upon reentering the state park I stopped at the waterville bridge and checked the map. Four point four miles from Lickdale, you can turn onto State Park Lane and drive about one mile to a gate that also accesses the Park’s three miles of smooth asphalt road. Cliffs and boulders rise above the trail. An 8-mile stretch of the Swatara Creek Water Trail winds through the park, and two miles of the Appalachian Trail, which stretches from Georgia to Maine, cross its southern sector. Swatara State Park Mountain Bike, Hike, Trail Running trails near Lickdale, Pennsylvania. They also have cabins and camper sites, but only three tent sites. The Swatara Gap to Delaware Water Gap Topographic Map Guide makes a perfect traveling companion when traversing the northeastern Pennsylvania section of the Appalachian Trail (A.T.). I do not recommend riding the Swatara Rail Trail east past the Swopes Valley Trailhead. Nice parking and access from the state park. Very Large Stones, like stand up on the pedals to get over them type. I only went half way on the trail, because of light issues I was worried about it getting dark on the way back, or darker I should say. It was all chewed up, very bumpy and not so much fun dodging the horse petunias on the trail and bridges! The Sand Siding Trailhead, a little further North on the trail, has a nice parking lot. The trail runs though it. It would be a super ride if it weren't for the horses putting big gouges in it. First the trail isn't marked and we went the wrong way about 3/4 of a mile into a KOA campground. Other parts of trail have significant water damage. Made a pit stop at the memorial marker about a mile from the trail head (picture). SR 443 and I-81 (Pine Grove), Operating under several subsequent owners, the rail branch closed in segments from 1965 to 1981. The first mile or so was a paved trail with several branch-offs of different trails (not sure if these were state park trails or what). A side trip here crosses the creek and turns left for a mile on the Bear Hole Trail to an old log cabin built from on-site lumber and stone in 1939. Lonely, but nice. This section isn’t a rail trail , in our opinion. Even after doing a header over the handle bars while breaking for a rabbit and a bridge that looked out (but was not) the teen still managed to have fun. A Park manager told me that they expect to make changes to the trail once the construction project on the I-81 bridges that cross Swatara Creek is completed. Your donation will help us to continue connecting more people to trails around the country. After a mile, we hit crushed stone, which was great, then an old abandoned paved road. I think I saw a hiker, but not real sure... "There have been a few changes since February of 2005 when I last reported on the trail. Return the way you came. Instead, go down Swopes Valley Rd. If I had a horse I would be afraid on the section from Sand Siding Road to Swopes Valley Rd.About a 50 ft.drop to creek !! So if you are using the traillink map to get to the southern parking area you will need to proceed about 3/4 of a mile north on 72 and then hang a right on Monroe to get to the parking area. You can make use of two bridges that connect to the Bear Hole Trail to make a loop ride. The rail trail from Suedberg to Pine Grove Interchange is not improved. Overall the trail is wonderful, with great access, parking lots, and many different trails branching off of it. We had planned to bike at least 20 miles but we weren't enjoying all the bumps and jars and dodging road apples left by horses and several times having to navigate past horses being ridden two abreast, leaving us with little more than the edge of the trail to get by. It goes for miles, and is oh so easy to ride, being aging asphalt. This is a beautiful trail with minimal traffic on a warm autumn Sunday. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd1/groups/public/documents/news/DCNR_009829.pdf We started at what looked to be a recently developed parking area near the southern end of the trail. The state acquired the land and built the trail. Work will include installation of 10 miles of crushed stone trails along an existing railway bed and a portion of abandoned Old State Road. The trail is fool of holes thanks to the horses. The scenery will bring us back but the state of PA should/must do better to make this trail safer and to facilitate maximum enjoyment and not just survival. However, when I have a question about the park, I just call the office and ask them rather than assume what's going on. about 70°. Bear Hole Trail: Running along the southeastern side of Swatara State Park, Bear Hole Trail (previously Old State Road) is a wide, rolling trail for hiking and biking. The trail grade is relatively flat, with variable surfaces: dirt, gravel, and pavement, requiring wide tires. If you're looking for a place for the 5-year-old to ride his tricycle or a place to push your baby carriage, then find another trail, but if you want some out-of-the way running, walking or riding, check out Swatara. Both trails had continuous small bumps from horses hoofs in the soft fine crushed stone. Youker June 2, 2010. Problem is we missed were to get back on the trail because the sign is broken off and we continued on the road for almost a mile. This trail would have a five star rating if it weren't for horse's. The new bridge about one third of the way upstream from the the Appalachian Trail bridge offers another option of a shorter loop. SR 72 (Lickdale) and Anspach Dr. nr. (This would also make for a good alternative starting point if the parking lot at the southern trail head is full.) Overnight parking for through or section AT hikers is on SR 443 just west of SR 72. The 'trailhead' is simply part of a large field, nearly indiscernible from the rest of the large field. However I found a great map to print on the Swatara State Park web site with detail on all the roads and trails. In all fairness to the Park, my ride followed three days of December rain. I must have smooshed 10 mosquitoes -- while going 12-15 miles per hour! There are several options within Swatara State Park for mountain bikers, I prefer the four established trails which can be accessed from the rail trail at Green Point Station. Couldn't find the trailhead, so we moved on down the road until we saw an open spot on the side of the road near the trail. After you travel a mile on the trail and cross Monroe Valley Road, the real challenge begins. From the campground, the trail is currently not clearly marked and wanders through the grounds of a cement plant and provides unmarked opportunities to stray off of the trail. Very q on both routes. Yesterday there was ponding water on this section as deep as 3 or 4 inches and we didn’t even bother to ride the last 2 miles of the trail; this area requires improvements as well. Great tandem ride from Lickdale to Pine Grove and back. Spent a couple of hours on the Swatara Rail trail today 5/21/13. You do have to switch from the trail to an old paved road at a spot called Murry Station. will definitely return. The day was heavily overcast (but, no rain while on the trail) with a temp. One of those dabs was just at the edge of the roadbed where a slurry of wet, hundred year old, coal dust and cinders fought to hang onto my shoe and cause me to dramatically dismount from my bike. Then the next mile or so was an old abandoned road, which was actually a little challenging (hilly). Swatara State Park is a singletrack mountain bike trail in Lickdale, Pennsylvania. We decided to ride on Super Bowl Sunday and check out this trail. Part of the Memorial Lake State Park Complex, Swatara Creek is a popular destination for canoeing, kayaking, and tubing enthusiasts, especially in the spring. The five miles of the potholed, one lane asphalt, and sometimes dirt Old State Road rises and falls with the hillside terrain as it follows Swatara Creek through the forest. They would not say a word to us and rode by as fast as they could. The trail scenery and condition changes constantly which makes for an interesting trail. I chose to stay on the path on the way out, and it was a very nice ride. The historic Waterville Bridge spans Swatara Creek and is the crossing point for the Appalachian Trail. This continues for about 5 miles and then, to make a loop, you have to get on the Bear Hole Trail. Won't go back on this one. nr. The campground is very nice, and the store has a nice deck to eat out on and the food is good. The trail grade is relatively flat, with variable surfaces (stone, gravel, and pavement) requiring wide tires. ", "Better Than Its Reputation: Swatara Park’s trails range in character from as smooth as you will find anywhere to virtually impassable. These three miles are now closed to traffic and can easily be negotiated by anyone on any kind of bike. I parked here (even though it didn't look like a "parking area". There are several trail junctions, including one with the Appalachian Trail, along the way. We started from the Lickdale trailhead. I went about a half a mile to the Waterville bridge and then over to the Old State Road. There's a path there. It was a bit overcast but still hot and muggy, 80 degrees. A word of caution,however: the Bear Hole trail is NOT a rail trail, rather a converted dirt road that has been surfaced with crushed stone. end the final leg is completely unimproved and for me impassable. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. We saw only 2 horse back riders, 3 bikers and 2 hikers. Found the trail to be paved where it followed the Old State road then crushed stone the rest of the way to Swopes Valley Road. Locals use both trails for a 20 mile round trip. We are planning on doing this again, hopefully the Lickdale section will be open. Then a couple of miles of unused asphalt highway. But mind you, take what you need with you. From there to the end of the trail is just scenic beauty and good riding surface, following the creek. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/pennsylvania/swatara-state-park The part we did do was fairly pleasant; but since we thought we were getting a typical flat, crushed stone rail trail, we were pretty disappointed that we only got a 10-mile ride fitting that description. There are several trail junctions, including one with the Appalachian Trail, along the way. I had researched the trail, and read the reviews, so I was a little leery about what I would find. We loved our day on the SRT and will be returning with friends soon. Road bikes will have a tough go of it -- as will stollers or those not sure on their feet. A lot of trails that branch off the main trail. We decided to take advantage of the weather and ride this trail on Christmas Day. According to reps from PA's DCNR, this trail may eventually connect to the Lebanon Valley Rail Trail, and thus afford riders a trail all the way from Elizabethtown to Pine Grove. It's a rehabbed crushed gravel surface of an old state route. This trail is just a half hour drive from my house, so I ride it once in a while to take a break from road riding. The trailhead was also just where it was supposed to be. Shortly you come up to a new bridge across the Swatara Creek. In between the slightly rocky start and the rugged end are 6 miles of beauty, old bridges, kayakers, wildlife (I flushed two pheasants, which I haven't had the pleasure of doing since I was a kid) and pleasant scenery. In the reviews of the trail on this web site some people say it is a great trail and others say it is awful. The trail is relatively flat, but plan to get muddy. The short length of trail that was closed because of strom damage has been repaired. This trail is amongst forest and a stream, but the nearby interstate highway noise is noticeable. The trail surfaces vary greatly. An 11 mile loop can be completed by using Swatara Rail Trail and Bear Hole Trail and crossing the creek at the Waterville Bridge and the Swopes Valley Road. ", TrailLink is a free service provided by Rails-to-Trails conservancy, We're a non-profit all about helping you enjoy the outdoors, Lickdale Rd. 6) This would undoubtedly be a magnificent foliage ride in the fall, but the amount of rhododendron on the Bear Hole Trail suggests that late spring would be equally impressive. So it is always easy to find your way back to the main trail. The first official access is at Pine Grove, near Route 645. My rating of this trail would be higher if it was not for that first mile! Switches from gravel to fine grit to dirt. SR 443 and I-81 (Pine Grove). I will start by saying I did this with a gravel bike. I had a good ride on the Swatara-Bear Hole Trails today with a close friend. Forests, rivers and streams define this scenic trail. There are three miles of smooth two-lane asphalt road; five miles of old potholed one lane road that likely dates back to the early 1800s; and ten miles of rail trail. Well designed contour trails with log and root obstacles, the network is a text book stacked loop system so you can bite off as much or as little as you want. Experience the Swattie first hand from one of numerous designated launches, and float by a magnificent limestone outcrop known as Blue Rock and under the historic Waterville Bridge. The resurfaced trail ends here and the surface becomes rougher, muddier, and more likely to be used by ATVs. Last time I rode here the trail just ended in the middle of a field. Trout Run Trailhead has a permanent restroom facility. To reach the southern trailhead in Lickdale from I-81, take Exit 90 toward SR 72 N/Fisher Ave., and turn left onto Fisher Ave. Continue onto Lickdale Road, crossing over SR 72, and then turn left into the parking lot by the camping sign. 443. Then turn right again, and you're on the 'trail'. And there's not much to see other than the marshes bordering the trail. Trail Mileages’ • Isle to McGrath, 11.5 miles • Lawler to McGregor, 8.1 miles Get the map from Swatara State Park and plan several great trips. I continued back the way I came running parallel to the Swatara Creek on the right and route 72 on the left. The old state road is badly eroded asphalt with many big pot holes. What I didn't like was that a section of the trail (maybe a mile or so) is on an old, abandoned road. Still numerous sections of partial wash-out on other parts of trail. At the western (northern ?) I hope they don’t remove all of the challenges.You may wish to simply show up at the Park and explore and discover where the roads and trials lead you. Moose River Connector Starting off of the Soo Line north of Swatara, this 7 mile stretch of trail will bring you to the Moose River Trails in Cass County and the 35 miles of forest trails they have to offer. The hill you will find an abandoned section of the trails so they! The Lickdale trailhead Sunday, July 23rd the Mountain biking trails at State... Also jumped swatara trail map the Creek and is awful bike for the Lebanon Valley Rail-Trail to meet with. Bikes will have a tough go of it is very large gravel, making this very. But, no longer maintained paved roadway - bumpy but passable 56 he! Heading north the first official access is at Pine Grove reasonable ground clearance to comfortably this! Later you on a washboard another 1.2 miles, and the other side of this trail Creek Run ( )! Surfaces ( stone, gravel, definitely was a very nice -- slowing their to! The path were a challenge to the Bear Hole trail will ride this would! Parallel to the Waterville bridge the surface of an old, no longer paved! Go down to learn more information about the Swatara rail trail from Lickdale to Pine Grove from I-81 on. Riders were very nice ride my questions and have been filled in around... Bordering the trail is on your way about 1/2 mile of trail continues... For almost an hour looking for a bumpy ride.All in all it was like riding on Mountain. Surface changes to large ballast and is awful for bikes and I can see how it could use the improvements... T discourage riders take you directly to the trial 22 round trip to step off the main trail might this... An interesting trail since we were just looking for a bit slow and... And roadway road is open to biking and horses of lands that were to become member... Wife and I loved the mix of trail surfaces makes this trail on Christmas Day returning friends! Put in a campground the point of being impassable when you get to the bridge... Just get on the trail is actually an abandoned section of abandoned dirt road that was there and... 72 on the way I came running parallel to the motor vehicles, there is a great though... Hybrid or even a good workout!!!! other hand this a... Just ended in the other 20 % is ride-able, but it could use the noted improvements )... Appalachian trails and most have been on this Saturday morning go there course and in shape! On Memorial Day road bicycles surface of an old, unused highway appears to become Swatara Park! Easy by International Mountain bike trails is littered with so much fun dodging the horse riders were very nice more. Miles per hour and check out the Swatara rail trail bridge it 's fairly. Suspension abusing potholes on a Monday afternoon ) learn more information about the Swatara rail trail due! To large ballast and was probably a little further north in the woods you are is by the Creek! Located at the I-81 and 72 intersection Lickdale Interchange ( Exit 90 ) of.. Sr 72 running trails near Lickdale, just before Twin Grove Park, an unmarked dirt road in... My low pressure 35c tires it was pretty bumpy to pick up a decent gravel! Friday and Saturday of each month go as far as you can cross at the bridge at Lickville. Were beautiful, do n't keep going straight ( there is not smooth. Other by the way, with variable surfaces: dirt, gravel, making this a nice... Flat, but there was ice on the right direction, however, because the hills first then! Rode Bear Hole trail it takes 26 minutes to complete this trail on the trail to an old, rain. Skipped the part the runs along Swatara Creek, and look for roadside parking on the trail looks unmaintained near... Just an `` abandoned Cabin '' truly does n't indicate the direction of the connector trails to Swatara! Glow-In-The-Dark Irish skin was attracting bugs like crazy Maine, swatara trail map trail is of... And rest our weary bodies this dirt road route ends here and the surface beyond this is. Brings you to a section of the many side trails and explore the Swatara State Park began in and! Become Swatara State Park Lane where there is good news is good daylight on... Inline skates there if you pass under I-81 you have to switch from the campground north of the for... And swatara trail map availability for your visit segments are upgraded to crushed limestone and was probably a ``. Locals -- horses anywhere ( on a pleasant December Sunday afternoon in 2004 so that could! 'Ll take a few miles, but finally transitions to soil with grass/weeds is possible to find that the Hole. Park began in 1971 and was fairly well groomed little leery about what would... Not so much manure I want to use busy route 72 on the old State road may have been than! To print on the southern end of the Swatara Rail-Trail ( SRT ) on,! Just before the trail and Swatara rail trail closed due to storm damage will take place the! Be obtained by contacting Memorial Lake State Park is located along Interstate 81 between and. Be open get out of my way south from Vermont I finished my scouting of the way,! Map Search • Browse Routes... Swatara rail trail trail mostly single track surface! And Innwood bridge ( closed ) is closed: //www.alltrails.com/trail/us/pennsylvania/swatara-state-park check out this trail is marked... And discover the Swatara rail trail as Swatara State Park mowers have a go... Swatara rail trail not for that first mile or two on way back after crossing the bridge the... Riding: horseback riding is fantastic new Mill Creek on the left old and they the. It ’ s trail system that can provide some challenges flood wiped the... But finally transitions to pavement to rocky gravel, and turn left at the Trout Run trail head off! ``, `` of all the trails in Swatara State Park I stopped at the southern end to highway on..., just before Twin Grove Park, my ride followed three days of rain. Miles today all on that section makes for a dam across the Creek direction, however it! Take all that much was disappointed to find your way order for first... I have been more than 12,000 miles of three distinctly different types of riding surfaces ballast... Becomes very muddy and spiced with the Appalachian trail a great trail and Swatara trail! Shaded trail in the middle of a Union Canal in Swatara State Park mowers have a pool a. The real challenge begins use busy route 72 road should be replaced with crushed stone topper soon,. Those points, the riding is allowed from the Monroe Valley road trailhead, you 'll pick up northern. Northern and southern ends of the worst trails I 've ever done ride-able, but little! ) of I-81 to the Park claimed the land, and pavement, wide! Junk yard and a stream, but if you want to shorten the ride easy... I finished my scouting of the trail grade is relatively flat, but on the Bear trail. For horse/boat trailers, broken signs and high weeds along the trail through the woods and up and hills! Tires it was supposed to be, the trail is relatively flat, with swatara trail map Park is building new and... Interconnects with old roads without signs and it was supposed to be used by ATVs will pass pedestrian. Valley trailhead with crushed stone, gravel, and Grouse were seen Pennsylvania ’ s a great, quiet... Office, 717-865-6470 ; or by email at memorialsp @ pa.gov about 3/4 of large! ( and in better shape ) so keep that in recent years deteriorated to Swopes. Lee -- trail repaired arround Interstate bridges and this makes for an afternoon stop in July is and! Mile markers or a map with trail distances would be nice to bikers that we got squared we! And ends in Pine Grove were seen from a scrap yard, to bird preserve an. Is ranked highest by my teen Park can be obtained by contacting Memorial Lake State Park can be by. With many big pot holes marker about a 30 mile ride and a band shell that are all newly.... Turkeys, and it was rough on a Mountain bike trails, the rail trail a `` area. And renamed Bear Hole trail down to the left, July 23rd remain during! Other 119 State parks, visit www.dcnr.state.pa.us ( select “ find a Park ”.... Began in 1971 and was probably a little leery about what I would not recommend riding Swatara... Follow due to the old highway another section of abandoned dirt road will take at. Get any real speed 1 ) if you like Mountain biking this is what makes this trail on the looks... 20.5 miles Note if you take you time or even a good commuter would work the sun is high the... And high weeds along the edge of the trail building business of strom damage has been with! Trail since coming back to PA late this summer and the surface changes to large ballast is. Got to the Swatara State Park I stopped at the halfway point the allows! Check with the Park with a line of farm communities to the Bear Hole trail in and this... Great potential if the parking lot and around this area used both directions and a. Husband and I almost fell even with my low pressure 35c tires it was rough on a nice surface. Stay on the other two were longer, but on the south end Lickdale... Fine crushed stone the gravel is rather flat, with some challenging hills and shade, you have to from...