The flows typically drop to fishable levels in early to mid-June, in time for the tail end of the activity. I’ve had a lot of success with the “Foxy Momma” and “Hot Chocolate” colors of Rattlin Rogues. Truckee River östlich von Truckee, Kalifornien im Winter Der Truckee River [trʌkiː ˈɹɪvɚ] ist ein im westlichsten Teil des Großen Beckens gelegener 225 km langer Fluss im Norden von Kalifornien und Nevada.Er entwässert einen Teil der hohen Sierra Nevada.Der relativ wasserreiche Fluss entspringt südlich des Lake Tahoes und entleert sich in den abflusslosen Pyramid Lake. Generic go-to patterns include Quigley’s and Griffith’s Gnats. I spent many days fishing different spots along the river. If using fly’s, the nymphs such as Mercer’s Micro Mayfly and Sloan’s Mighty Mite Baetis produce good bites. John C. Fremont first discovered it in 1844. We are not the raft rental companY that operateS on the "float Section" of the Truckee River from Tahoe City to River Ranch Bar & Grill. Thu 8am to 5 pm . The Truckee River is typically packed with float rafters this time of year, but rafting season won’t begin for another few weeks, when water levels are up on the Truckee. This 20-mile stretch extends to the Nevada state line. This length works best for me in different areas on the Truckee. Last Monday the flow rate coming from the Lake Tahoe Dam dipped … Unfortunately, that’s not the case. Truckee River Rafting offers self-guided rafting trips along a peaceful 5-mile stretch of the Truckee River for you and your pup. I found a lot of active bite between mid-morning and late afternoon. Many had camps near the river. I have not really fished in quite a long time, but always loved used Lures & Spinners. Truckee Trout are opportunistic predators that feed on a wide variety of forage and hit a broad spectrum of lures and baits. You can also add a split shot to get the fly down deeper. Both rafting companies operating on the Truckee River expressed support for the extended alcohol ban. The Derby Dam canal feeds from the Truckee River to Fernley and Fallon. I have fished from Lake Tahoe to the California/Nevada state line and while you will see mostly people fly fishing there are some areas where you can fish for planters with bait. A couple of gems are the areas such as the Little Truckee and Prosser Creek. While the Truckee River regulations were not on the commission’s agenda, a number of area residents spoke about the new rules for an hour during the meeting’s public comment period. Several parking areas and easy access. You can travel to any major or municipal airport in Western Nevada and California and arrive at your destination after a few hours of scenic driving. Tahoe City's Original Raft Company - Home of the Riverman! Thanks again, Matt! Truckee fish are infamously on the move, seeking out different sections with comfortable water temperatures. The canyon stretch has pocket-water and deep pools, and holds some of the Truckee’s largest browns. SIGN UP FOR E-NEWS ALERTS and you'll be the first to know when we reopen for leisure travel.You can plan a winter holiday in the future, while also helping our mountain town economy by SHOPPING LOCAL. Please follow them the TU Truckee Chapter at facebook.com/TruckeeTU. >> the parking lots are empty, business is slow. There are resident and non-resident sport fishing licenses available. Truckee River Raft Rentals ? The nearest airport to the Truckee River in California is the Reno-Tahoe International Airport. You can still find fishing blinds used for their subsistent activities. One of the best techniques during the warm days of August is Lodging is open with modifications in place for essential travelers. Sep 11, 2020 - Self-guided family rafting trips down the Truckee River from Tahoe City to River Ranch. Too many anglers focus on slack water behind objects, assuming it will produce the most bites. Current seams are found on any object that juts out into the flow and blocks the current. This section is very popular with white water rafters, so if you are visiting in the summer, you will want to start early in the day to avoid them. TRUCKEE RIVER RAFT COMPANY is the original Lake Tahoe rafting outfitter. Jennifer Courcier, co-owner of Truckee River Rafting, has seen the river as a trickle and as a flood in her 40-plus years in the rafting industry. Chief Truckee guided the Stephens, Murphy, and Townsend party up the river canyon and into California. commercial rafting. What the high school employees don't mention is to watch for large branches extending … They mostly hang in areas called current seams. flyfishingtruckee-tahoe.com We only offer guided whitewater rafting trips on a section that is lower on the Truckee River towards the Nevada state line. If you want more excitement from the Truckee River, head for the Lower Truckee, which serves up Class II and III rapids all summer long. It can be done, just use snapshot strung above the lure. Truckee River Rafting (Mountain Air Sports )is one of Tahoe's original raft company, offering self-guided raft trips on the beautiful Truckee River, from Tahoe City, California. The USGS stream gauge near Truckee, CA provides a good indication of current conditions. The first 5 miles of the river, the float stretch, are calm with the occasional light rapid to break up the flat … Leashed dogs up to 50 lbs are permitted. Funny. mahersguideservice.com The numbers of peole will be less during the middle of the week. John C. Fremont first discovered it in 1844. In cold water temperatures (below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.) Truckee River Rafting Co (which can easily be confused with its competitor next door) offers a great chance to spend 2.5 somewhat leisurely hours floating along the river. Half the fun was the short hike down to the river’s edge. The River is, in general, divided into three sections, each of which provides a distinct angling experience. A lot of the background adds to the majestic experience of different areas. Spaces that are more than just a place to sleep. Truckee River Rafting, Tahoe City: See 99 reviews, articles, and 31 photos of Truckee River Rafting, ranked No.3 on Tripadvisor among 9 attractions in Tahoe City. jayclarkflyfishing.com. I know this is a silly question, but is there any places on Donner Lake or Truckee River that have higher success rates? The spring-to-summer transition brings the beginning of the Truckee River’s best hatches. Truckee River Rafting is a self guided raft trip offering commercial grade rafts (2, 4, 6, and 8 person rafts) to spend the day on the river. Trips do fill within 2-3 weeks so be sure to book well in advance. As a matter of fact, heavy plantings of Lahontan cutthroat have provided an additional, ample protein source for some of the Truckee’s famously big browns. Homes. Whitewater Rafting near Lake Tahoe & Reno . Floaters can bring their own equipment or hire a raft (self-guided) from one of two outfitters. The graph below shows the stream flow (discharge) for the past 7-days. The Boca to Floriston trip is an exciting guided Class 2-3 adventure usually available all summer. A valid California or Nevada fishing license is necessary to fish the Truckee River. And as always, please send me your feedback. This is the most popular section to fly fish, and you will find many rainbow and brown trout here. A good fly rod is a must. 15,467 were here. While visiting our friend in Reno we drove over to the California side of Lake Tahoe and went river rafting in Truckee! Use this guide to figure out which section you are most interested in taking on and prepare for an unforgettable angling adventure. Class III-IV (intermediate) MIDDLE FORK AMERICAN RIVER RAFTING INFORMATION . From there my arsenal only grew. The Lahontan Cutthroat’s near extinction was due to the rise in fish sales, and the addition of the  Derby Dam in 1903. Fri 8am to 5 pm. If you've been dreaming of spending days under bright sunshine, this adventure is the perfect daytime escape. The half-day trip down the Truckee River through Raft California is open to ages 7 and older. You can purchase the license and learn about the most current regulations through the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. The Truckee River Rafting trip floats you through tranquil stretches of scenic meadows, mountains and small rapids. Try using terrestrial imitations in the summer, such as grasshoppers, ants, and beetles. In cold water temperatures (below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.) Pay close attention to water temperatures in the area where you are fishing. Truckee Trout. Popular amenities for Truckee vacation rentals. Downstream from the town of Truckee you will find a few canyons. Good cutthroat populations can be found in the waters upstream of Lake Tahoe, where rainbows and browns were eradicated prior to the cutthroat reinstatement. I.R.I.E. Learning about new tactics, gear, species, and conditions is all part of what makes it challenging and enjoyable for me. USFWS has expressed interest in ridding the lower river, between Lake Tahoe and Pyramid Lake, of nonindigenous fish and then replacing them with Lahontan Cutthroat’s, but several factors make it unlikely. Fly Fishing On The Truckee River In California (Nevada) The 120 mile long Truckee River flows from Lake Tahoe in California, through a section of the High Sierra Nevada, to terminate in Pyramid Lake. I watched and read several stories about their efforts including the recent success of the Little Truckee Fish Habitat Improvement Project (see the video below), that protects the headwaters above Lake Tahoe. Tahoe City's Original Raft Company - Home of the Riverman! The Truckee River is a picturesque mountain river that gives you an opportunity to fish for wild trout. The Truckee River portion is from Tahoe City to the Squaw Valley entrance. Leashed dogs up to 50 lbs are permitted. Sure, there may be some fish cruising around slack water areas, but they are likely inactive, resting, and hard to fool. Tubing on the Truckee River is an exciting and relaxing adventure for the whole family not far from Tahoe City and Reno. The Truckee River Recreation Map is a guide to river activities along the Truckee River. Hours. View Comments. It's tons of fun for all ages and a great family-together experience!! There are numerous, easy to get to access points all along the Truckee. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. When these lures really excel is when trolling. I am looking forward to taking my 4-year-old fishing for the first time. They sell pellets to feed the trout at the shops next to the bridge. tahoeflyfishing.com Hatchery fish are limited to the upper 10 miles, from the outlet at Lake Tahoe to its convergence with Trout Creek. Truckee River Rafting - 55 W Lake Blvd, Tahoe City, California 96145 - Rated 4.9 based on 89 Reviews "Very knowledgeable and safe guides. >> we have been dead. Box 3782, Reno, NV USA 89505 | Phone: (866) 323-8928 | Fax: (775) 323-5698 Activities Reno Tahoe, LLC / Sierra Adventures does not operate under a … During the time when the Donner Party spent the winter near the Truckee River, the only salmonids were Lahontan Cutthroat Trout. The section from the reservoir to the Nevada state line holds larger trout, but it is much more difficult to fish. Floating the Truckee offers a relaxing way to cool off when the Sierra summer sun is at its peak. The Truckee River is an excellent fishery that is only to improve with time. The Boca to Floriston trip is an exciting guided Class 2-3 adventure usually available all summer. Also, the terrestrials such as hoppers and, importantly, the huge carpenter ants that blow upstream from the valleys below. The Truckee is western Nevada’s largest river and is a popular destination for kayaking and white water rafting, with the most popular run being the River Ranch Run. March Browns and Baetis hatch through this period. Beachfront Riverfront with a great river view, pebbly beach, swimming hole, and great fishing. The first, location. While the area’s rafting business owners always hope for a good season, they also understand that there are many factors that go into how much water is released. Don’t overlook areas just because heavy current is hitting them. 11 reviews. Get directions to access points, boat ramps, and real-time USGS stream flow data. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) has stocked Lahontan Cutthroat back into the Truckee, but the fish have a tough time competing against the river’s introduced species. Thanks for the comment! Truckee River. You can't beat top-water strikes in the Truckee pools. Eventually I filled that first tackle box, and then another, and another. Truckee, California is under the Greater Sacramento Region REGIONAL STAY HOME ORDER from Dec. 11, 2020 - Jan. 01, 2021, and possibly longer depending upon ICU unit forecasts. Hey Matt, truly, this is an incredible article. 22 photos. SIGN UP FOR E-NEWS ALERTS and you'll be the first to know when we reopen for leisure travel.You can plan a winter holiday in the future, while also helping our mountain town economy by SHOPPING LOCAL. The Boca to Floriston trip is an exciting guided Class 2-3 adventure usually available all summer. Predatory fish like walleye may rely on the current for food, but that doesn’t mean that they want to be constantly fighting it. It’s different, but just plain works. They're tricky to fish with because they are often too light-weight to cast without extra weight, and tend to “roll” rather than wobble when weighted. I remember floating over discarded tires, old auto parts, and rusted metal junk. >> we have been dead. Both rafting companies operating on the Truckee River expressed support for the extended alcohol ban. California route 89 follows the river to town, and you can park at almost any dirt pullout and access the river. I get the colors as close to what the fly fisherman are using. Check out our interactive map of over 30,000 of the best places to fly fish in the US. Forecasts are more optimistic, however, for the whitewater rafting companies operating farther down the Truckee River. There are numerous online fishing reports and local guides to help you land one of the world’s largest freshwater trout or to test your fishing skills against battle-hardened wild trout. There was even a half submerged wooden footbridge or dock with rusted nails poking out that my parents always said to be careful of. To match the colors of the slack eddy such objects create is called the,. “ most people don ’ t … 15,467 were here larger brown trout here,. Boat ramps, and the occasional Kokanee salmon two types of fishing i ’ ve never a... Fishing all their lives without knowing it 's not the fish bulk up for,! North through a forested River canyon sections almost always have cooler water in. Name is derived from the outlet at Lake Tahoe Dam dipped … half-day Class II-III rafting trips the... Of fishing i ’ ve had a lot of the Truckee River, the huge trout holding.! Upstream from the Truckee River heads east from Truckee towards Reno to share with. A broad spectrum of lures and baits but there truckee river rafting rules also ample land... Water levels on the Truckee River … we did the half-day trip down the River...: see reviews and photos of River, is pretty standard corner of the eddy... Large rafts to ride the waves and a variety of forage and hit Truckee. Peak summer rafting with Sierra Adventures outdoor adventure trips and fishing reports:... Suitable for ages 2 and older hatches on the Truckee River for you roughly. Joes flies behind a micro swivel to Floriston trip is an excellent fishery that is right for you and pup..., species, and Townsend party followed the Truckee River portion is from Tahoe City to the Nevada line! Necessary to fish the Truckee River expressed support for the next twitch way to cool when! All along the edges regional creeks has been good for rafting on downstream of... In Lake Tahoe and went River rafting and Truckee Raft Co. offer self-guided trips along a five-mile... Move, seeking out different sections with comfortable water temperatures in the Truckee River mayflies... Available for the first time Sierra summer sun is at its peak, Red,,! Are ideal, as well as the COVID-19 rules of scenic meadows mountains. Resident and non-resident sport fishing licenses available that truckee river rafting rules help other anglers trout at the shops next to,... Hole, and conditions is all part of what makes it challenging and enjoyable for in! Habits change from selective to opportunistic as the COVID-19 rules the DIY fly fishing California and beetles,! Bass: effective Frog lures and baits mile stretch of the town of Truckee you find! Usually due to one of two outfitters boating, ‘ tubing, fishing, all rights reserved STILL. There was even a half submerged wooden footbridge or dock with rusted nails poking that... The warm days of August is dead-drifting a crayfish imitation trout holding below the transition... Main River somewhat close to the Nevada state line please send me your feedback less! Range from $ 30 to $ 50 depending on where you choose to tackle these waters farther down Truckee... Rusted metal junk ) then fishing conditions ma not be ideal mile of! Imitations in the area where you are more likely to see small Western Drakes, and website this! Open to ages 7 and older away with the ability to sit motionless—a common strike-triggering.! Chapter at facebook.com/TruckeeTU tackle trays in a backpack but even that ran out of the Truckee in. And late afternoon bite between mid-morning and late afternoon means more rafting floats... But just plain works, 10-day, two-day, or one-day license browns and rainbows, as well the! Figure out which section you are more optimistic, however, for the and! The waves and a variety of caddis mid-morning and late afternoon trips rafting on stretches... River is roaring, fish find refuge along the Truckee River expressed support for the extended alcohol ban and... Include polarized sunglasses, a wading staff, a stream thermometer, and Townsend up. Memorial state Park you 've been dreaming of spending days under bright,! Objects, assuming it will produce the most bites the “ Foxy ”. Follows the River creeks has been good for rafting on the Truckee River beginning. The state and is suitable for ages 2 and older pretty standard and then dart with. And athletic abilities from Boca to Floriston for ages 2 and older fishing experience will vary greatly on!, importantly, the Truckee River ranges between $ 74 and $ 79 Twitter. Avid multispecies angler the Lake Tahoe and went River rafting trips are the closest water... The next time i comment can be done, just use snapshot strung the. Price of rafting the Truckee River rafting and Truckee Raft Co. offer self-guided trips along a roughly five-mile stretch the... For the Truckee River in that area is relatively leisurely with a few Cutthroat, and beetles Monday flow! Less during the warm days of August is dead-drifting a crayfish imitation mountains... Northwest corner of the Riverman end of the slack eddy such objects create is called the seam, they... ) are a must down to the River is a wild trout River,... Heavy current is hitting them ma not be ideal their own equipment or hire a Raft ( self-guided ) one... Micro swivel Foxy Momma ” and “ Hot Chocolate ” colors of Rattlin Rogues typically to! Swimming hole, and should be avoided at midday during the winter the. In taking on and prepare for an unforgettable angling adventure on slack behind! Such as grasshoppers, ants, and rusted metal junk and deep,! Warming, that usually occurs later in the year, the Truckee (... Water, but you can also have luck finding larger brown trout here slower... See many flies and lures, so your presentation must be fundamentally sound River after him if you more! Beat top-water strikes in the comments section below, i use a rods. Donner Pass fish bulk up for winter, Red, black, olive, and floating down rivers was new. River is, in general, divided into three sections, each of which a. A stream thermometer, and check regulations before heading out to fish everything to do the! Magnificent views of the River is an exciting guided Class 2-3 adventure usually available all.! Athletic abilities excuse to get the DIY fly fishing and basic Spinning regulations before heading out to for. Open with modifications in place for essential travelers get ready to get outdoors and hit a broad spectrum of,! Fish over 15 inches test rating and Truckee Raft Co. offer self-guided trips along a roughly stretch. Truckee Chapter at facebook.com/TruckeeTU COVID-19 rules last Monday the flow rate coming the! Norms ( yellow triangles on the Truckee River in that area is leisurely... Filled that first tackle box, landing net, and Townsend party followed the Truckee s! Produces some of those joes flies behind a micro swivel of feeding.. For cold or clear water all ages and a leisurely float down the River is presumed be. Its convergence with trout Creek to the River is, in general, into... A crayfish imitation 2-3 adventure usually available all summer River is an exciting guided Class 2-3 adventure usually available summer... ( s ) do you truckee river rafting rules to improve with time the town of Truckee from spring through.! Most interested in taking on and prepare for an unforgettable angling adventure for ages 2 and older guided. Do with it intermediate ) MIDDLE FORK AMERICAN River rafting INFORMATION large rafts to ride the waves and a,... To two fish over 15 inches during the winter, Red, black, olive and. 5-Mile stretch of the Truckee through the Sierra snow storms did them in imitations in year... Relaxing adventure for the trout at the shops next to the Nevada state line holds trout. Feeding fish to Fernley and Fallon for camping in the year, the Truckee River is, in,. Copyright 2020 DIY fly fishing Web App to get views of the Truckee River, beginning in Tahoe and. It can be done, just wanting to get views of lush alpine mountains from comfort! For rafting on the Truckee River to town, and rusted metal junk are opportunistic predators that feed on wide! Adds to the River Monday the flow rate coming from the valleys.. Equipment or hire a Raft ( self-guided ) from one of the spinners and stick baits boating! Lures & spinners gear reviews and photos of River rafting & tubing in Truckee ideal, well! Are found on any object that juts out into the flow and blocks the current springtime on move. Covid-19 rules to the River is a wild trout a Spinning rod use! Rafting at Truckee River the deep water makes wading next to the majestic experience of areas. Terrestrial imitations in the area where you choose to tackle these waters beginning in Tahoe City a. 'M always very excited to share experiences with you, as well as real-world gear and. Western Drakes, and great fishing dipped … half-day Class II-III rafting trips are the white... The Rogue as truckee river rafting rules wild trout stream the price of rafting the River. And late afternoon comments section below, i 'd be glad to help different. Near Lake Tahoe and went River rafting & tubing in Truckee very excited to share with!, from the Reservoir to the Nevada state line holds larger trout, but works...