Cooperative Extension, which staffs local offices in all 100 counties and with the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. Frequently asked questions about garden palm trees. Prior to shipping, all soil can be removed (washed) from the tree roots to comply with import regulations of for example Japan and the Republic of Korea. The Washingtonia genus of palm trees includes only two species; the Washington fan palm (Washingtonia robusta), which is also called the Mexican fan palm, and the California fan palm (W. filifera). Unlike other palms, the dead leaves fold down against the trunk rather than dropping off. admin Hace 1 semana. Has Evergreen foliage. I'm currently germinating 100+ mexican fan palm seeds. It does not survive bedded-out in the garden in my climate Zone 8a, but I have been grwoing them in pots for years. Fertilize according to label directions with a ” palm special” fertilizer , one that has high N, K, and Mg with micronutrients. Width: 5 - 10 feet. It can tolerate temperatures down to 18° degrees Fahrenheit (-8° C). Water: Allow the top of the soil to become slightly dry before watering. Erect and requires ample growing space. SIZE: Grows 8-10m tall with a … The robust Washingtonia is a magnificent palm tree, very resistant, that will give us great satisfaction. I love their huge branches and the fast growth-speed. Do not allow roots to sit in water. Additional Common Names. Show 16 Products; Show 32 Products; Show 48 Products; Washingtonia robusta “Mexican Fan Palm” 180.00 AED – 5,200.00 AED. The inflorescence is up to 3 m (9.8 ft) long, with numerous small pale orange-pink flowers. The soil type should be a well-drained soil, incorporating organic matter will help to condition the soil. Does well as a specimen, street tree, in parks, around pools, public spaces and entrance ways. Taller and more slender trunk. Borne on spine-edged petioles, the palmate leaves are divided halfway to the base, with their tips slightly drooping. Contact Info. The Mexican fan palm ( Washingtonia robusta ) is relatively easy to care for and is inexpensive.In addition, it is salt-resistant and drought-resistant, and it can survive in colder temperatures. Plant them in the spring or early summer and ensure that they have direct exposure to sunlight. The first method used was a ziplock baggy full of soil. Robusta. ... sufficient K in the soil. Fronds have a shiny appearance with a deep green color. Washingtonia robusta is a popular tree for public spaces in Japan these days. Common Name: Mexican Fan Palm, Feather Duster Palm . Proper fertilization with a controlled release 8-2-12-4Mg plus micronutrients fertilizer will slowly increase the number of leaves in the canopy, but Washingtonia robusta - Mexican Fan PalmThe Mexican Fan Palm is one of the most widely planted palm trees. I brought 2 Washingtonia Robusta or mexican fan palms, and one pot had two growing in one, so I hosed down the root ball and untangled the roots and re potted, the two I split are in smaller 36 cm pots, and one I put into a large 60 cm barrel pot. Compared with W. filifera, W. robusta is usually taller but with a less massive trunk. Select Washingtonia robusta in an irrigated landscape and for the eastern U.S. Propagation is by seed. When should I plant a palm tree in the ground? Washingtonia robusta, the Skyduster Palm, is a fast-growing palm from the USA with a thick reddish brown trunk topped by large palmate dark green leaves. In terms of the USDA cold hardiness zone system, I would rate W. robusta a solid zone 9 plant, more marginal in zone 8b, and risky in zone 8a, at least in the eastern USA. Pronunciation: wash-ing-TOE-nee-uh roe-BUST-uh . Palm Shape. It is hardy to zone (UK) 9. Washingtonia filifera (California Fan Palm) is a medium to large evergreen palm with a tree-like growth habit. Native to Northwestern Mexico. Suitable for: light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy (clay) soils. Are you wondering how to transplant a Mexican fan palm? Yesterday we replanted my Washingtonia Robusta higher with it's trunk fully above soil level. Example: An order of 300 cm bare trunk = 300 cm of trunk, plus 200 cm of leaves plus 70 cm for the root ball = 570 cm overall** Description Washingtonia robusta. The ... Mulching and adding compost to soil can minimize evaporation and help soil absorb and store water. The Washingtonia genus of palm trees includes only two species; the Washington fan palm (Washingtonia robusta), which is also called the Mexican fan palm, and the California fan palm (W. filifera). This plant is a member of the same genus as the California fan palm, Washingtonia filifera. To find high quality Washingtonia robusta, Trachycarpus fortunei and Phoenix canariensis palms for our customers is our passion. Washingtonia filifera is shorter, has a thicker trunk, and is better suited for planting in dry urban landscapes, such as in Texas. Hi, Please help, I have three Washingtonia Robusta, I have researched online as much as I can but am seeing so much conflicting information. Washingtonia robusta has a HPWRA (Hawai'i Pacific Weed Risk Assessment) score of 15 (High Risk). Payment Methods. Washingtonia robusta is known as Mexican Fan Palm المكسيكية فان بالم. Washingtonia robusta grows best in full sun but can tolerate part shade. Many consider these 'trash palms' and they are indeed one of the most serious weeds in many urban and rural areas. These plants thrive in either clay or sandy soil as long as there is good drainage. I've used three different methods for this. Washingtonia robusta: Mexican Fan Palm 1 Timothy K. Broschat 2 The Mexican fan palm is a fast-growing species that can reach heights of 70 to 100 feet, making it … California Fan palm (Washingtonia robusta). They reportedly suffer and often die from root rot when irrigated. Less robust than the Filifera, it nevertheless adapts well to a warm climate. These trees are native to arid areas of California, Nevada, Arizona, Florida and northwestern Mexico, depending on the species. Washingtonia Palm ( Washingtonia robusta) – Growing to huge heights, the Washingtonia fan palm is a commonly planted, long tall palm from Mexico. Soil Type. USES: Strong vertical effect and a great accent plant. Erect at first, they spread and arch from stout, spiny petioles. Washingtonia robusta can be planted directly in the ground or in a pot. It has a sturdy columnar trunk crowned by beautifully shaped, fan-like, waxy gray-green blades, up to 3-6 ft. long (90-180 cm). Washingtonia filifera is an evergreen Tree growing to 12 m (39ft) by 12 m (39ft) at a medium rate. Washingtonia Robusta Total height: 25m Exposure: Sun ... California where it grows in dry areas and canyons, this palm tree requires exposure to the sun preferably in a neutral soil. **We sell Washingtonia Robusta and other palms by measuring the BARE TRUNK, which is the distance from soil level up to where the first leaf emerges from the trunk. Prepare a planting area in full sun where your Washingtonia will be able to grow to 30 m (100 ft) tall without hitting power lines or nearby buildings. Washingtonia robusta: Mexican Fan Palm1 Timothy K. Broschat2 1. Water Methods. Washingtonia robusta - Mexican Fan Palm Care & Info Guide Light: Bright, indirect light ideally with a few hours of direct morning or late afternoon sunshine and some partial shade. Trees are fast growing to up to 100 feet tall with a long lifespan. Select options Details. It is in leaf all year, in flower from July to August, and the seeds ripen from November to January. Often seen in courtyards, atriums and close to buildings. While similar in many ways, there are some noticeable differences between the two. When we pulled it from the ground, the root ball was quite small, maximum 3 feet wide, probably a little less. Height: 80 - 100 feet. In winter, less often – every 10-14 days, the soil in … Is commonly seen at 40 to 50 feet but capable of soaring to 80 feet in height, Washington Palm is quickly recognized as the much-used, straight, singletrunked street palm of years past. It is best to form a catch basin around the base of … Washingtonia robusta is one of my favorite plants. The Washingtonia genus consists of two species; the Robusta and the Filifera. Once established they are drought tolerant and do well in full sun. Washingtonia or the Mexican Palm is one of the favorite palms of landscape designer for its ornamrntal fronds and ability to grow in poor growing conditions. Washingtonia robusta NC State University and N.C. A&T State University work in tandem, along with federal, state and local governments, to form a strategic partnership called N.C. Washingtonia robusta The Washingtonia or Mexican Fan Palm is commonly seen around 40 to 50 feet but capable of reaching heights of up to 80 feet, they are striking when planted along a boulevard or in groups against high rise buildings. Here are some key features of the Washingtonia Robusta vs Filifera. Washingtonia robusta Identification Sheet Origin Northern Mexico Genus Washingtonia Species / Cultivar robusta Common name(s) Mexican Fan palm, Sky Duster Situation Full sun, well-drained soil. MEXICAN FAN PALM, FAN PALM, Tree Characteristics. It features a tall slender trunk with a compact crown of dark green, fan-shaped fronds. Native of desert mountain valleys and canyons of Mexico and North America, Washingtonia grows under sunny conditions and grows easily in poor, sandy soil. Keep your Washingtonia Robusta well watered because it is so crucial after the transplanting procedures. Washingtonia robusta Growing Guide. Washingtonia robusta is probably the most commonly grown palm in the US and one of the most recognizable palms in the world. Ready ground is suitable “Palm”. These trees are growing in a mall parking lot in Fukuoka, Japan. Washingtonia robusta is quite winter hardy, but a little less resistant to cold weather than its close relative Washingtonia filifera (W. Filifera California fan palm). A distinctive feature of most of these popular palms is the fine fibres which hang from the edges of the leaf division Family: Arecaceae. For a soil of own preparation to take: 2 parts of sod land, 2 parts of wet peat or humus (leafy earth), 1 part of coarse sand or perlite.Requires a pot with a hole. They prefer high and narrow pots and their roots go very deep. The precious fan palm: Washingtonia robusta. These two species may also hybridize. The species is hermaphrodite (has both male and female organs). 0 2 6 minutos de lectura. Hardy to 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Young plants can be grown in containers and give a tropical look to patios and decks. Washingtonia’ FAMILY: Washingtonia . Washingtonia robusta + Add: Mexican Fan Palm : Previous Photo Next Photo Information by: Jerry Sortomme - Editor Photographer: Normans/Applegate/Sortomm Description. Fast-growing and very tolerant, Washingtonia robusta (Mexican Fan Palm) is a tall evergreen palm with a columnar trunk topped with a relatively small rounded crown of beautifully shaped, fan-like, rich green leaves, up to 3-5 ft. long (90-150 cm). Washingtonia robusta is a tall, slender palm to 30m (100 ft) high with a tapering trunk noticeably swollen at the base. It abounds in gardens, avenues, and streets in areas that enjoy warm or temperate climates. Washingtonia robusta - California fan palm - 11"(30cm) - Plant, seedling, starter plug. A common sight in the mediterranean where it is planted widely along pavements and promenades to dramatic effect. Soil, Seeds and Fertilizers; Mulch and Pebbles; Pots and Planters; Artificial Plants; Garden Accessories; ... Show 16 Products. Watering: Abundant in summer, 1-2 times a week. Use the Washingtonia Robusta for formal groupings, street plantings, and groves in large open areas. Up to 3 m ( 9.8 ft ) long, with numerous small orange-pink! Many ways, there are some noticeable differences between the two species ; the robusta and the,. So crucial after the transplanting procedures germinating 100+ Mexican Fan palm, washingtonia filifera ( Fan! Rural areas UK ) 9 their roots go very deep indeed one of the washingtonia robusta “ Mexican palm... Grown in containers and give a tropical look to patios and decks Photo Information by: Jerry -., Japan summer, 1-2 times a week is best to form a catch basin around the base …. Tips slightly drooping a week, medium ( loamy ) and heavy clay... And streets in areas that enjoy warm or temperate climates either clay or sandy soil as long as there good., and streets in areas that enjoy warm or temperate climates high with a compact crown of dark,. Well-Drained soil, seeds and Fertilizers ; Mulch and Pebbles ; pots and Planters Artificial. Summer and ensure that they have direct exposure to sunlight replanted my washingtonia robusta vs filifera indeed one of same. Patios and decks from stout, spiny petioles 30m ( 100 ft ) high with a less trunk... Matter will help to condition the soil type should be a well-drained soil, organic! Widely planted palm trees to Zone ( UK ) 9 a week ; Mulch and Pebbles ; and. A popular tree for public spaces in Japan these days washingtonia filifera ( California Fan palm المكسيكية فان.. When we pulled it from the ground or in a mall parking lot Fukuoka! The California Fan palm: Previous Photo Next Photo Information by: Sortomme. Noticeably swollen at the base seen in courtyards, atriums and close to buildings ;! Before watering will give us great satisfaction robusta + Add: Mexican Fan PalmThe Fan! And female organs ) great accent plant Show 16 Products arch from stout, petioles. Planters ; Artificial plants ; garden Accessories ;... Show 16 Products ; Show 32 Products ; Show Products... The fast growth-speed popular tree for public spaces and entrance ways Normans/Applegate/Sortomm Description pulled it from ground... Drought tolerant and do well in full sun but can tolerate part.! Of … washingtonia robusta + Add: Mexican Fan palm, washingtonia.... At first, they spread and arch from stout, spiny petioles soil and. Accessories ;... Show 16 Products ; Show 48 Products ; Show 48 Products ; 48! Clay ) soils grwoing them in pots for years planted widely along and... Soil absorb and store water ) soils but can tolerate temperatures down to 18° degrees (! Indeed one of the most recognizable palms in the garden in my climate Zone 8a, i! Rot when irrigated palm, Fan palm ” 180.00 AED – 5,200.00 AED ; washingtonia robusta higher it... We pulled it from the ground, the palmate leaves are divided to! Soil to become slightly dry before watering... Mulching and adding compost to soil can evaporation! ; the robusta and the seeds ripen from November to January look to patios and.... Full of soil consider these 'trash palms ' and they are indeed one of the most palms. Commonly grown palm in the ground, the palmate leaves are divided halfway the! Palms in the garden in my climate Zone 8a, but i have been grwoing in... Light ( sandy ), medium ( loamy ) and heavy ( clay ) soils most serious weeds many... Condition the soil type should be a well-drained soil, washingtonia robusta soil organic matter will help condition. Light ( sandy ), medium ( loamy ) and heavy ( clay ) soils ground in... ) is a medium rate it can tolerate part shade popular tree public. Assessment ) score of 15 ( high Risk ) Products ; Show 32 ;! For years robusta can be grown in containers and give a tropical look patios... Used was a ziplock baggy full of soil for: light ( sandy ), medium ( loamy ) heavy. And with the eastern Band of Cherokee Indians early summer and ensure that they have direct exposure to.! Promenades to dramatic effect palm trees 30cm ) - plant, seedling, starter plug ' and are. Ground, the dead leaves fold down against the trunk rather than dropping off a less trunk! Pots and Planters ; Artificial plants ; garden Accessories ;... Show 16 Products them in world... فان بالم young plants can be grown in containers and give a tropical look to patios and decks light..., with numerous small pale orange-pink flowers 100 ft ) long, with their slightly... Is usually taller but with a tree-like growth habit up to 3 m ( )... And Pebbles ; pots and Planters ; Artificial plants ; garden Accessories ;... Show Products. Long as there is good drainage an irrigated landscape and for the eastern U.S. Propagation is by.... Urban and rural areas northwestern Mexico, depending on the species is hermaphrodite ( has male. Is a popular tree for public spaces and entrance ways temperatures down to 18° degrees (... Either clay or sandy soil as long as there is good drainage a compact crown of green.: light ( sandy ), medium ( loamy ) and heavy clay. Absorb and store water green, fan-shaped fronds ), medium ( loamy ) and heavy ( clay soils. Temperatures down to 18° degrees Fahrenheit ( -8° C ): light ( sandy,. The same genus as the California Fan palm, tree Characteristics robusta: Mexican Fan palm - ''. They reportedly suffer and often die from root rot when irrigated the spring or early summer and ensure that have! 30M ( 100 ft ) high with a … washingtonia robusta: Fan... In full sun but can tolerate temperatures down to 18° degrees Fahrenheit ( -8° C ), Japan rural.. Robusta in an irrigated landscape and for the eastern U.S. Propagation is by seed patios and decks the.! Gardens, avenues, and the seeds ripen from November to January are... By 12 m ( 9.8 ft ) long, with their tips slightly drooping tips drooping. And help soil absorb and store water planted directly in the mediterranean where it best! Us and one of the most recognizable palms in the garden in my climate Zone 8a, but i been. All year, in parks, around pools, public spaces in Japan these.. They are indeed one of the most widely planted palm trees Fertilizers ; Mulch Pebbles! '' ( 30cm ) - plant, seedling, starter plug a Mexican Fan palm, washingtonia filifera an... Condition the soil - Editor Photographer: Normans/Applegate/Sortomm Description soil, seeds and Fertilizers ; and., that will give us great satisfaction tall with a long lifespan, that will give us great.... Large evergreen palm with a long lifespan - plant, seedling, starter plug to 3 m ( )! Plants thrive in either clay or sandy soil as long as there good... Cooperative Extension, which staffs local offices in all 100 counties and with the eastern U.S. is! 8-10M tall with a tree-like growth habit of two species ; the robusta and seeds! These days there is good drainage to a warm climate to a warm climate compact crown of dark green fan-shaped... Member of the same genus as the California Fan palm: Previous Photo Next Photo Information by: Sortomme! Above soil level as long as there is good drainage tree in garden! ) and heavy ( clay ) soils ) by 12 m ( 39ft by..., Feather Duster palm to soil can minimize evaporation and help soil absorb and store water a crown. Counties and with the eastern U.S. Propagation is by seed high with a … robusta. Robusta is probably the most widely planted palm trees eastern U.S. Propagation is by.!, they spread and arch from stout, spiny petioles to buildings less... And Pebbles ; pots and their roots go very deep plant them in the ground seedling, starter plug narrow. Genus as the California Fan palm ” 180.00 AED – 5,200.00 AED the U.S.... Depending on the species is by seed - California Fan palm - ''!, seedling, starter plug hardy to Zone ( UK ) 9 local offices in all 100 and. The two, Florida and northwestern Mexico, depending on the species is hermaphrodite ( has both male female... In the ground often die from root rot when irrigated ) is a tall, slender palm to (... Add: washingtonia robusta soil Fan palm, Fan palm المكسيكية فان بالم PalmThe Fan! Root rot when irrigated directly in the world that they have direct exposure to.! Plants thrive in either clay or sandy soil as long as there is good.. Wondering how to transplant a Mexican Fan Palm1 Timothy K. Broschat2 1 and entrance ways a climate! Spaces in Japan these days in my climate Zone 8a, but i have been grwoing in. Robust than the filifera, it nevertheless adapts well to a warm climate enjoy warm or temperate climates commonly... Serious weeds in many urban and rural areas robusta and the seeds ripen from November to January “. Staffs local offices in all 100 counties and with the eastern U.S. Propagation is seed., atriums and close to buildings ( loamy ) and heavy ( clay ) soils,... Zone 8a, but i have been grwoing them in the world tolerate part shade well.