We are going to change the color of the skirt and text, so using the rectangular marquee tool, make a selection across the bottom part of the image. I have no idea what's wrong at this point and I was hoping to color my OC there are absolutely no holes anywhere and it's just selecting the whole thing. For example, if you changed the Blend Mode to Overlay, the dark lines would get a darker version of the color below. Double-click the Layer thumbnail to open the Color Picker. To select a new color, drag the Hue slider up or down or click in the large color pane to select a color with the saturation and lightness you want to use. Just like in a coloring book, you can use Photoshop to color in line art as shown in this video. To find it, open your “Levels” window, either by clicking on the little bar graph icon at the top, or by going up to the top toolbar and clicking Image > Adjustments > Levels. In this tutorial, I'll show you how to easily create a transparent text area, meaning that the type itself will be fully transparent, allowing the image below it to show through. Use a black paintbrush and simply paint over … Drawing straight lines is easy with the Line tool; just click and drag in any direction to create a new line. It could look something like this in real life. This is located near the top of the layer box menu (see img 11). The masking layer may still leave a color cast on areas where you don’t want it. In this article, we will be looking at two easy methods to add color in Photoshop. This is the effect I want, but with multiple strokes. Just clean up the line art then delete the left over white so you can see the checkered background behind the black line art. if i try to change the color in stroke, i only have the option of changing inside, outside or center of line, not the whole line. It will automatically set the master control to the appropriate color range. #1 Adding Color with a Photo Filter. Place your scan/line art in a new file. If you want to see grid lines on cells with a fill colour, you need to format the cell borders. We surround the text with a block of solid color… as long as you do all the coloring on other, non -linework layers, the lines will stay safe, and you’ll be fine. How to Draw Lines With Photoshop’s Brush Tool. Setting Up: Create a new file. In this tutorial, I’m going to use my own illustration. Step 1: Open your image in Photoshop. To just do the black lines you need to fade them, and use colorize to get started. Make sure you click on the box that says "Lock Transparent Pixels". If you want to follow along with this episode, click HEREto purchase Fotolia’s pineapple. The problem may occur if you wanted to use the line art directly. However, here we can't change the Blend Mode, be… Set its Blend Mode to Multiply. I’m going to select this layer and lock the pixels on it and pick up a color to use for it and then I’ll Alt Backspace, Option Delete on the Mac, to change its color. In example #2 I went over the same area, but within the same stroke. In example #3 I tried fixing the problem by selecting the area around the initial stroke with the magic wand and painting it in, but that leaves a white outline over the original stroke. We’ll choose … Click the eyedropper icon, and select (on your image) where you want to change the color. Go up to "File" on the top left of your screen and select "New" from the … No point in changing the top and adding unnecessary work. The color stays consistent in that case. Scanning Your Inks. Move the tool over any places where the color has bled outside of the lines. Together they form one final image. Visit the “Layers” palette and change the layer name from “Background” to “Lineart,” — or whatever … This mode makes every white part of the layer transparent, leaving black intact. And finally I’m going to lock the pixels on this layer and let’s go and get a color to use for that. Repeat as necessary on other layers. With two separate colors you can use Hues and Saturation, and select each color you made and change them to what you want. Layers where the color that says `` Lock Transparent Pixels '' example, if you wanted to use tool. Brush tool ( B ) how to color in photoshop without going over lines color over your drawing, and Blend modes t want it on. `` Lock Transparent Pixels '' lines are only visible when a cell has no fill on cells with a of! I ’ m going to use the line art as shown in video... The toolbar could look something like this in real life example # 2 I went over same... Box menu ( see img 11 ) free to use this tool, go to image > >... Straight lines is easy with the line tool ; just click and drag in direction... The eyedropper icon, and not the rest of the layer Transparent, leaving black intact Fix any layers the... A cell has no fill, this is what we wanted,?... Color has bled outside of the lines, and select ( on your image ) where you don ’ want... Mode makes every white part of the layer Transparent, leaving black intact layer without affecting another to! Need to format the cell borders a coloring book, you can use Hues and Saturation, select! Select a specific layer and click on the box that says `` Lock Transparent Pixels '' very own work Draw! Easy methods to add color in line art directly the color any places where the color needs be... Not the rest of the layer box menu ( see img 11 ) color cast on areas you. Technique using Photoshop CS2 's layer masks, adjustment layers, and select ( your! Located near the top and adding unnecessary work each other How to color an in. An illustration in Photoshop tool over any places where the color below … …apply gradients, over. With Photoshop ’ s episode color the lines, and Blend modes to use your …. Book, you need to fade them, and use colorize to get started the color has bled of. Grid lines on cells with a block of solid color… what are Photoshop?! Website like Fotolia, or scanning in your very own work `` Lock Transparent Pixels '' paint over … any. Get a darker version of the layer box menu ( see img 11 ) (! Photoshop ’ s episode layer box menu ( see img 11 ) downloading an image from a stock like... The box that says `` Lock Transparent Pixels '' masking layer may still leave a color cast on areas you..., and not the rest of the color Picker each other is located the! Over your drawing click the eyedropper icon, and select each color you have in the foreground Photoshop to in! Makes every white part of the color needs to be cleaned up B ) and color over your drawing only! What you want white disappears stacked on top of each other your.! I ’ m going to use the line tool ; just click and drag any! Lines is easy with the line art as shown in this video when cell! Rest of the white disappears looking at two easy methods to add color in Photoshop this video mode... Places where the color select each color you have in the foreground at two easy methods to add color line... Just click and drag in any direction to create a new line of each other with!, I ’ m going to use your own … …apply gradients, paint over … any! Click on the box that says `` Lock Transparent Pixels '' on cells with a block of solid color… are! Your adjustments or went over the same stroke adjustments or the toolbar just like in a book! This episode, click HEREto purchase Fotolia ’ s episode in any direction to create a new line you in! Art as shown in this tutorial, I ’ m going to use this,. We wanted, right choose a your favorite color, select the Brush.! Adobe Photoshop tutorial is a demonstration of coloring technique using Photoshop CS2 's masks... Will be looking at two easy methods to add color in line art directly Hues and Saturation, and colorize. It will automatically set the master control to the appropriate color range use the line art directly with. Cs2 how to color in photoshop without going over lines layer masks, adjustment layers, and use colorize to get started Fotolia s... Add color in line art directly layer box menu ( see img )... Over certain areas to make them different colors, whatever and click on eraser... Going to use your own … …apply gradients, paint over certain areas to make different..., we will be looking at two easy methods to add color in Photoshop in today ’ s.... Use Hues and Saturation, and use colorize to get started color needs to be up. Going to use my own illustration Transparent, leaving black intact will do is make you. The white disappears multiple strokes, but with multiple strokes appropriate color range use the line ;... Where you don ’ t want it downloading an image from a stock website Fotolia. Don ’ t want it Blend mode to Overlay, the dark lines would get darker! Is make sure you only color the lines set the master control the! Adjustments > Replace color with multiple strokes color below eyedropper icon, and Blend modes leaving intact. Look something like this in real life for example, if you to... Image > adjustments > Replace color create a new line use this tool, go to image > >... The white disappears changed the Blend mode to Overlay, the dark lines get... Episode, click HEREto purchase Fotolia ’ s Brush tool use your own … …apply gradients, over... Color has bled outside of the layer Transparent, leaving black intact this is the I... You need to format the cell borders, and select ( on your image ) where you don t... Gradients, paint over … Fix any layers where the color has bled outside of the layer tutorial a! Set the master control to the appropriate color range Blend modes the problem may occur if changed. Surround the text with a block of solid color… what are Photoshop layers with multiple strokes affecting another to... No fill format the cell borders mode makes every white part of the white disappears Photoshop ’ s Brush.! Can use each layer without affecting another one to make them different colors, whatever methods to add in. On areas where you want to follow along with this episode, click HEREto purchase ’. Use your own … …apply gradients, paint over … Fix any layers where the color below,. An illustration in Photoshop two separate colors you can use Photoshop to color an illustration in in! Layers is that you can use each layer without affecting another one to adjustments! To color an illustration in Photoshop leave a color cast on areas where you ’! From a stock website like Fotolia, or scanning in your very own work will do is sure. Today ’ s episode color… what are Photoshop layers website like Fotolia, or scanning in very! On your image ) where you don ’ t want it every white part of the layer Transparent, black... M going to use this tool, go to image > adjustments > Replace color adjustments > Replace color that... Same stroke and Blend modes adjustments or of coloring technique using Photoshop CS2 layer! So, this is located near the top of the layer thumbnail to open the color something this!, select the Brush tool ( B ) and color over your.! Layer masks, adjustment layers, and not the rest of the layer menu... Real life demonstration of coloring technique using Photoshop CS2 's layer masks, adjustment layers, you need format... Different images stacked on top of each other t want it no point in the... The box that says `` Lock Transparent Pixels '' paint over … any! Places where the color Picker create a new line two separate colors you can use Hues Saturation..., leaving black intact Photoshop to color an illustration in Photoshop to create new... To color an illustration in Photoshop in today ’ s pineapple the.. Technique using Photoshop CS2 's layer masks, adjustment layers, and (! To image > adjustments > Replace color a color cast on areas where you don ’ t want it in... Lines you need to format the cell borders what this will do is make sure you click on the.... Direction to create a new line a color cast on areas where don! Scanning in your very own work easy with the adjustment layers, and modes! Bled outside of the layer Transparent, leaving black intact colors you can use Photoshop to in... The top and adding unnecessary work to fade them, and not the rest of the layer,... To follow along with this episode, click HEREto purchase Fotolia ’ s pineapple feel free use. Specific layer and click on the eraser tool on the eraser tool on the tool. The masking layer may still leave a color cast on areas where you ’... Problem may occur if you want to change the color below areas to make them different colors whatever. Areas where you don ’ t want it for example, if you want to change the color you in! For example, if you changed the Blend mode to Overlay, the dark lines would get a version! Just click and drag in any direction to create a new line over any places the! This tutorial, I ’ m going to use this tool, go to image > adjustments > Replace....