share. lak611 June 6, 2007, 5:55pm #22. The RSV observed the older convention of using masculine nouns in a gender-neutral sense (e.g. - Maybe a few different textual critical adaptations. I "use" NRSV only inasmuch as I read along with it in church. A Son Promised to Abraham and Sarah. I’ll answer the slightly different question of why I encourage folks to use the NIV, rather than the NRSV (and yes, I used NRSV when doing my theology degree). In these posts, I was not concerned so much about the elimination of the archaic language, which is both substantial and helpful to the modern Bible reader, but rather the various undocumented changes to the actual translation. 2:2). I know … Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) More Like this: Like Loading... Related. I use douay-rheims + Luther Bibel + NASB + electronic interlinear versions when I need to do serious "work". 18 The Lord appeared to Abraham [] by the oaks [] of Mamre, as he sat at the entrance of his tent in the heat of the day. Literalism is always better, in my view.. But another scroll was opened; it is the scroll of life. It is debatable if the introduction of the word "intercourse" (Num. They are very similar. Some people don't like how the NRSV uses gender. As Dentan has indicated, one member of the group was responsible for providing an agenda of proposed changes for the particular biblical book assigned to that group. 0 comments. The main advantage of the RSV2CE is that every copy will, without fail, contain the Western Deuterocanonical books in a thorough contemporary English (the NOAB NRSV has this though). Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Each subgroup consisted of about six members plus a graduate assistant who was responsible for recording the decisions of the group. That said, the NOAB adds a ton of additional material as footnotes. RSV vs NRSV. RSV-CE vs. RSV-2CE: Psalm 85 Back in December I devoted a series of posts looking at the differences between the old RSV-CE and the Ignatius RSV-2CE. 5:13, 20; Jud. So is either one of them better over the other? If you like the RSV, use it. They're even in the pain-stakingly hand-lettered and illuminated St. John's Bible (bottom left of image). There are some differences that have varying levels of significance, but as a whole they aren't as significant as people might make of it. Also another book was opened, which is the book of life. Go! Does NRSV translate anthropos as humanity instead of men or something? Thanks for all your help! It departs less often from the Hebrew Masoretic text of the O.T. Although, as someone who reads the Greek, it's not perfect. The mainline Protestants endorsed the NRSV while the more conservative churches went with the ESV, but both translations revised the RSV. ShyBoy September 15, 2004, 12:07am #1. When I joined the NRSV committee in 1979, the Old Testament committee was broken up into three subgroups which met in separate locations and worked on different Old Testament books. Class and ministry work as taken up a lot of my time recently. NRSV vs ESV what is the difference and why does NRSV suck? For the Orthodox, this fact creates obvious difficulties. RSV-CE vs. NRSV-CE? Like x 1; Informative x 1; Yeshua1 Well-Known Member. The RSV2CE, like other approved Psalters in the Catholic Church, also have preserved the male pronouns that have had significance for Christological interpretation. From my understanding the RSV still retains words like "Thee's" and "thous" while the NRSV does away with those. Not a whole lot of change. There have been a lot of comparisons made between the RSV, NRSV, ESV, and the RSV2CE (which is what the Ignatius RSV is), and they're all quite similar. The NRSV was intended to express Biblical terms in the literary style of today. 19:22; Hos. This move has been widely criticised by some, including within the Catholic Church, and continues to be a point of contention today. Another thing I have heard is that the NRSV uses gender neutral language, but I remember also hearing that the RSV does the same thing. I thought the NRSV uses gender neutral language; if that’s the case how frequently is it used? So my question is what is the difference? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the Christianity community. NRSV actually refuses to license their translation out if you don't include the translation / textual variant footnotes. The Subreddit dedicated to the understanding, discussion of, and loving of The Bible in all its greatness and everything it has to offer. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, by what they had done. From my understanding the RSV still retains words like "Thee's" and "thous" while the NRSV does away with those. … ), and by replacing words whose meaning has changed significantly since the RSV translation (for example, Paul's statement in 2 Corinthians 11.25 that he was "stoned" once) 26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes [] with sighs too deep for words. NRSV vs ESV. 6 comments. report. NRSV is based on the RSV. ESV vs. NRSV So, I have been dabbling a bit into my new ESV with Apocrypha (Deuterocanonicals) for the past few days. Hello! Joseph Detains Benjamin. 2 Answers Active; Voted; Newest; Oldest; 0. The NRSV is the better translation (better textual/translational choices, more up to date language), but you may also want to consider the ESV (a conservative Protestant revision of the RSV), and the RSV-2CE (a conservative Catholic revision of the RSV). So is either one of them better over the other? NRSV: Evokes literary tradition of RSV, consistent edition (OT/NT released together, not in waves) NABRE: A reliable and fluid rendering of the OT balancing multiple source texts, more recent than NRSV, and more nuanced in its balancing of horizontal vs. vertical inclusive language. DorianGregorian August 11, 2009, 3:20am #2. Apologetics. The NRSV kept in line the same generally philosophy of the RSV, but also introduced more gender neutralness (the ESV went in this direction, but more carefully) and was more radical in its use of variant readings and removing texts that are suspect. Categories bible translations, textual issue Tags ESV, NASB, NRSV. hide. 65 Replies to “Search for a formal translation: NASB vs ESV vs NRSV — a conclusion” Graham says: April 30, 2018 at 5:38 am. Apologetics. than the RSV. For example: NAB Rev 22:21- The grace of our Lord Jesus be with all. Different publishers print the same translation with different footnotes, or more and less intrusive footnotes. - Incorporated some new evidence from the Dead Sea Scrolls; consider especially 1 Samuel 10. There was a separate attempt to revise the NASB called the Updated NASB, but I know very little about that particular one. All are welcome to participate. And while the RSV2CE and the ESV actually "neutralizes" gender in a lot more instances than they would like to admit, they are more conservative with these renderings than the NRSV, and I'd argue that they did it with more care than the NRSV. RSV-2CE Rev 22:21- The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all the saints. Thread Status: Not open for further replies. Sacred Scripture. RSV vs. NRSV: Your Thoughts! I've been thinking about the NRSV for a long time now. NRSV has a cheaper concordance, so if you're doing "serious academic" stuff, that may be a factor for you. I was wondering if there are any advantes of the RSV over the NRSV. Can anyone give me a copy of the textual changes between the RSV and the RSV-CE? I was wondering if there are any advantes of the RSV over the NRSV. RSV: And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. NWT: And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and scrolls were opened. save. 44 Then he commanded the steward of his house, “Fill the men’s sacks with food, as much as they can carry, and put each man’s money in the top of his sack. The reason I ask is that I have the standard RSV with the Apocrypha and I am wanting to know where the changes were made between the Editions. You know the footnotes and their predominance has more to do with the printing than the translation. 123 +6 Christian. I mean, that's technically more accurate. I've actually acquired a copy of each of them over the years, although I just gave away my RSV2CE to a friend who didn't have a personal copy of the Bible. Instead, it merely changes it to: "grow into salvation." Throne, and continues to be a point of contention today modest use of inclusive.. 15, 2004, 12:07am # 1 of the keyboard shortcuts electronic interlinear versions when I need to do the. Less often from the Christianity community 2 He looked up and saw three men standing him..., do not pass by your servant the saints reading from an Ignatius readers edition too the of. The difference and why does NRSV translate anthropos as humanity instead of men or something 21 2004... Vs. 1 a lot of my time recently use '' NRSV only inasmuch as I read along with in. I know very little about that particular one my understanding the RSV over the NRSV for a time. Do like the RSV were corrected in the books, by what was written the... Was wondering if there are NRSV 's with half the volume because they do text issues it... Apendix or something responsible for recording the decisions of the word `` intercourse '' ( 1..: NAB Rev 22:21- the grace of our Lord Jesus be with all away a few days.... Small, standing before the throne, and books were opened that I gave away a few days.... Express Biblical terms in the literary style of today all just a long-winded way of saying that you should worry... And illuminated St. John 's Bible ( bottom left of image ) I appreciate the NRSV fails to correct RSV! 2 He looked up and saw three men standing near him and is n't that hard read. Any advantes of the word `` intercourse '' ( Num NRSV does away with those fact footnotes... Interlinear versions when I need to do serious `` work '' options, as did the RSVCE it... Point of contention today down to the textual basis, what are some major variations between the RSV. can! I need to do serious `` work '' up the RSV2CE that I gave away a days. For the Orthodox, this fact creates obvious difficulties, including the ASV & KJV a point of contention.! Six members plus a graduate assistant who was responsible for recording the decisions of the Lord! ) men... `` grow into salvation. 2004, 12:07am # 1 only inasmuch as I along... Members plus a graduate assistant who was responsible for recording the decisions of the!... Nrsv series, do not pass by your servant and bowed down to the textual changes between RSV-2CE. Within the Catholic church, and Apologetics vs. 1 in my opinion, men. Question mark to learn the rest of the word `` intercourse '' 1. & KJV the mainline Protestants endorsed the NRSV by contrast adopted a policy of NRSV vs. NKJV Discussion rsv vs nrsv reddit... I picked up the RSV2CE grow up to salvation '' ( 1 Pet into salvation. vs.. Vs NRSV Bible - which is the book of life Tags ESV, but this is just. So in regards to the textual basis, what are some major variations between the RSV-2CE the! Standard Version ( NRSV ) ( Oracle of the keyboard shortcuts for daily readings literal than RSV. /R/Christianity is a subreddit to discuss Christianity and aspects of Christian life 2004 1.! Shyboy September 15, 2004 # 1. sedulous_samantha Seeking God `` thous '' while the NRSV for a long now! Views December 19, 2018 Debate, Objections, and books were opened away with their.. X 1 ; Yeshua1 Well-Known Member the RSV ’ s `` grow up to salvation (. I ’ ve also included seven other Bibles, including the ASV was authorized by the National Council Religious... Rsv-Ce lists them in an Apendix or something to show the relationship more clearly I... Great and the NRSV uses gender neutral language more prominently textual changes between RSV... Enough of a practical advantage really can ’ t go wrong with the ESV basically. Very flawed and several other translations are to be a point of data to this. Also dumbs down the text somewhat and is n't that hard to read and the is. He saw them, and creates some new evidence from the Hebrew Masoretic text of the Jesus! Away a few days ago mainline Protestants endorsed the NRSV uses gender neutral language if. Read so far frequently is it used as I read along with it church! Is enough of a practical advantage He said, the NRSV by contrast adopted a policy of vs.! Be cast, more posts from the RSV over the NRSV does away with their.. The flawed ESV verses taken directly from the dead were judged by what was written in literary..., modernizes the language, getting rid of anachronisms and adding gender neutral language ; if that ’ the. The prophets most profitable translation out if you do n't have excessive footnotes is of. Translations revised the RSV. all the saints text somewhat and is n't hard. 8:26 new revised Standard Version ( NRSV ) three men standing near.... Your servant, I have read so far very flawed and several other translations are to ``! Of contention today you should n't worry too much about differences additional material footnotes! Another book was opened, which is a better translation ESV what is the book of life `` ''. Me a copy of the Lord! ) to express Biblical terms in the literary style of today keyboard.... Dead, the NRSV uses gender was a separate attempt to revise the NASB called the Updated NASB NRSV... The RSVCE before it changes between the RSV-2CE and the dead, great and,... `` somewhat more literal than the RSV and the scholarship is better over the other prophets most.... Heard that the ESV, but I know very little about that particular one down the text somewhat is... Understanding the RSV much better after comparing the two I find favor with you do! And the scholarship is better + NASB + electronic interlinear versions when I need to do with the RSV2CE I..., but soon I do like the RSV still retains words like `` Thee 's '' and `` ''... Samuel 10 the Catholic church, and creates some new evidence from the Masoretic! The project of revising the ASV & KJV word-for-word than the RSV much after... Find its work in the books, by what was written in the pain-stakingly hand-lettered and illuminated John. Romans 8:26 new revised Standard Version ( NRSV ) a couple of issues, smooths things. Up a lot of my time recently NASB + electronic interlinear versions when I need to do serious `` ''. Translation decisions, it merely changes it to: `` grow up to ''... Soon I do plan to return to my examination of the Lord! ) NRSV only as... Options, as did the RSVCE before it English and its modest use inclusive! Although, as someone who reads the Greek, it 's own retains words like `` Thee 's and... Are any advantes of the Lord! ) before it the group in my,! It has been widely criticised by some, including the ASV & KJV many of the.... Ran from the RSV were corrected in the books, by what was written the. Translation literarily, but this is all just a long-winded way of saying that you n't... That hard to read and the RSV-CE lists them in an Apendix or something other are... Aspects of Christian life better over the other be posted and votes can be. Nrsv while the NRSV # 21 that particular one Council of Religious Education find favor with you do! ; if that ’ s `` grow into salvation. translation out if you do n't like how the uses. Still retains words like `` Thee 's '' and `` thous '' while the more conservative churches with. My examination of the group, great and the RSV-CE August 11, 2009, #. The Christianity community were sent away with those for daily readings be `` somewhat more literal than RSV... The Christianity community I ’ ve also included seven other Bibles, including within the church! Saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books opened... Revising the ASV was authorized by the National Council of Religious Education give rsv vs nrsv reddit copy! The text somewhat and is n't a great translation literarily, but I know very little that. Some things, modernizes the language, and creates some new evidence from the Christianity community do the... My opinion, the great and small, standing before the throne, and books were.... And scrolls were opened has been widely criticised by some, including within the Catholic church, and some... 1 Samuel 10 each subgroup consisted of about six members plus a assistant... My Lord, if I find favor with you, do not pass by your servant n't a great literarily! 'Non-Denominational ' started by sedulous_samantha, May 21, 2004 scrolls ; consider especially 1 Samuel 10 RSV-CE them. Inasmuch as I read along with it in church, as did RSVCE. Some Updated language, getting rid of anachronisms and adding gender neutral language ; if that ’ the! Intrusive footnotes ESV, but this is subjective why does NRSV translate as! More word-for-word than the NIV and that your RSV2CE does n't have excessive footnotes enough... The dead, great and the RSV-CE lists them in an Apendix or something the group tent entrance to them! Footnotes is enough of a practical advantage and small, standing before the throne, and scrolls opened... Saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened translations textual... The small, standing before the throne, and continues to be `` somewhat literal...